Bit Of A Yarn

Late scratchings- Why don’t they show % deductions?

Brodie

When a horse is a late scratching, why doesn’t the TAB show what the % deduction is for fixed odds Bettors?

They must know what the deduction is when the horse is taken out, so why isn’t it shown somewhere?

I have often gone to collect and receive a helluva lot less than what I was expecting, due to a late scratching!

Can not be that hard can it?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Brodie said:

When a horse is a late scratching, why doesn’t the TAB show what the % deduction is for fixed odds Bettors?

They must know what the deduction is when the horse is taken out, so why isn’t it shown somewhere?

I have often gone to collect and receive a helluva lot less than what I was expecting, due to a late scratching!

Can not be that hard can it?

you are on the money here champ

they prefer you to ring the 0800 number who won't know and they will ring the bookies who should know

such muppets

• Like 1

Hopefully, someone from the TAB is reading and puts it to the bigwigs to get sorted!

Surely someone will be able to get this sorted, as it is not fair turning up to collect, and you don’t get what your ticket tells you!!!!!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Hopefully, someone from the TAB is reading and puts it to the bigwigs to get sorted!

Surely someone will be able to get this sorted, as it is not fair turning up to collect, and you don’t get what your ticket tells you!!!!!!!

Surely as such a successful professional punter like yourself you are fully aware how to work out the % deducted? 

17 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

Surely as such a successful professional punter like yourself you are fully aware how to work out the % deducted? 

You are kidding aren’t you?

All I ask is  the % being taken off!!

No need for your sarcastic tone of voice,  is there????

When the horse is late scratched, are we meant to know what that horse was paying GONSTA????

The results never make any mention of it!!!!!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

16 minutes ago, Brodie said:

You are kidding aren’t you?

All I ask is  the % being taken off!!

No need for your sarcastic tone of voice,  is there????

When the horse is late scratched, are we meant to know what that horse was paying GONSTA????

The results never make any mention of it!!!!!!

Quite right b-man, nothing worse than thinking you are getting a decent payout then cashing in and "big deduction"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Quite right b-man, nothing worse than thinking you are getting a decent payout then cashing in and "big deduction"

Dont quite understand how it matters. You know if you have a FO bet on and there is a late scratching you will get a reduced payout if your horse collects. The reduction depents on the weght of money on the  scratching. The more favoured the bigger the reduction .  You know you are going to collect less than on your ticket, we have all been there. How does knowing the exact amount  less you collect make any difference except to dampen the dissapointment. Often late scratchings are either just pre start or after the race If you want to know just look up the % reduction before you collect. 

,l would say just be happy your collecting unlike most who have bet on the race

7 hours ago, Harewood said:

Dont quite understand how it matters. You know if you have a FO bet on and there is a late scratching you will get a reduced payout if your horse collects. The reduction depents on the weght of money on the  scratching. The more favoured the bigger the reduction .  You know you are going to collect less than on your ticket, we have all been there. How does knowing the exact amount  less you collect make any difference except to dampen the dissapointment. Often late scratchings are either just pre start or after the race If you want to know just look up the % reduction before you collect. 

,l would say just be happy your collecting unlike most who have bet on the race

Harewood, where do you find this % reduction?

Where on earth is it shown?

You back something on a Thursday night, and your horse is placed!

You go to collect and you get several hundred less than what your ticket says!,

There was a horse scratched after you backed your horse, and they drop the odds, unbeknown to you!

Where is it shown what % is deducted??

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 1

10 hours ago, Harewood said:

Dont quite understand how it matters. You know if you have a FO bet on and there is a late scratching you will get a reduced payout if your horse collects. The reduction depents on the weght of money on the  scratching. The more favoured the bigger the reduction .  You know you are going to collect less than on your ticket, we have all been there. How does knowing the exact amount  less you collect make any difference except to dampen the dissapointment.

firstly please allow me to apologise on the brodsters behalf for ignoring this portion of your question.

not sure this will apply to the brodsters betting (i imagine anything he touches would surely shorten too much to represent value a day or so later) but say you were betting to win 1000 then knowing the deduction % would allow you get some more on (subject to value) to retain the opportunity to win 1000.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Harewood, where do you find this % reduction?

Where on earth is it shown?

You back something on a Thursday night, and your horse is placed!

You go to collect and you get several hundred less than what your ticket says!,

There was a horse scratched after you backed your horse, and they drop the odds, unbeknown to you!

Where is it shown what % is deducted??

The % cannot be  shown untill after the race closes and the weight of money on each horse is known. That must be obvious  surely. In Aus you are told the % of your reduction  so I would think it would be available in NZ . But as the % is not known until after the race does it really matter. You know you are going to get less so just be pissed off there was a late s go collect and find the next winner

How do the odds drop unbeknown to you.  Everyone knows if there is a late s the odds will drop some degree If its an early scratching the tab will reset their odds so just put more on at the new odds if you're worried about getting less.  If its a very late  late  s then too bad Thats just the way it is according to the regulations 

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

then knowing the deduction % would allow you get some more on (subject to value) to retain the opportunity to win 1000.

1 minute ago, Harewood said:

The % cannot be  shown untill after the race closes and the weight of money on each horse is known

Just now, Rangatira said:

rule a line through ? with time noted ?

Sorry please explain?  Excuse my ignorance but I'm not a punter and nor am I an Australian brought up playing bookmakers.  Though my Uncle was a pub bookie in NZ for a while.  Always wondered why he was always on the phone (not a mobile!).

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Sorry please explain?  Excuse my ignorance but I'm not a punter and nor am I an Australian brought up playing bookmakers.  Though my Uncle was a pub bookie in NZ for a while.  Always wondered why he was always on the phone (not a mobile!).

TAB bookies for final field win bet scratchings calculate the deduction as follows

80 divided by the last price of the scratched horse

so if the horse was paying $10 the deduction is 8% ( 80 divided by 10 equals 8 )

Edited by Rangatira

8 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

TAB bookies for final field win bet scratchings calculate the deduction as follows

80 divided by the last price of the scratched horse

so if the horse was paying $10 the deduction is 8% ( 80 divided by 10 equals 8 )

I meant REAL bookies not our TAB ones.   Apparently the new system does all that odds setting for them!

As for the selection of 80 how does that work if the book is over priced?  

• Like 1