NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

warrnambool

wally

Wow Wally, you sound well connected:)

I did a quick tally, and approx 2 mil of stakes on offer over the 3 days.

That puts it on a par with NZ's biggest carnivals, for a place that many in NZ think of as a minor racing operation

29 minutes ago, hesi said:

Wow Wally, you sound well connected:)

I did a quick tally, and approx 2 mil of stakes on offer over the 3 days.

That puts it on a par with NZ's biggest carnivals, for a place that many in NZ think of as a minor racing operation

good tally hesi but how many maidens are run on those days and what about the crowds over 3 days

It has a history and continual attraction that allows it to succeed beyond anything NZ currently has. People will book their attendance a year in advance to go to this carnival. I'm not sure you can still say that about any single gallops event in NZ. Although I have not checked this year, more is typically bet on each individual day at Warrnambool than would be bet worldwide on NZ's biggest gallops day  - and every year it is midweek.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wally said:

good tally hesi but how many maidens are run on those days and what about the crowds over 3 days

Lucky enough to have been to the ''Bool'' with a runner Wally, funnily enough, his stable name was Wally too!.....30 years ago today. He won, ridden by the marvellous Pat Hyland, tried to book the 'Babe' but he had a ride......took the bookies for a few bob, 5's into 5-2......about 25,000 on course and what an atmosphere....Dandy Andy won the cup that day, won the Australian Cup the following season.......great memories.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rowley Mile said:

Lucky enough to have been to the ''Bool'' with a runner Wally, funnily enough, his stable name was Wally too!.....30 years ago today. He won, ridden by the marvellous Pat Hyland, tried to book the 'Babe' but he had a ride......took the bookies for a few bob, 5's into 5-2......about 25,000 on course and what an atmosphere....Dandy Andy won the cup that day, won the Australian Cup the following season.......great memories.

i probably was there that year from 1978 till 1994 i never missed a year always loved travelling down on the 15 seater bus full of booze and formguides did jim cerchi train dandy andy

Went to the Bool on a freezing cold day in May 2013 ..the place was absolutely chocker, marquees for Africa everyone well behaved (within reason) lots of local/regional sponsors and corporate hospitality...and the crowd were genuinely loving the racing. NZ clubs would kill to get the kind of support from their local population that this club gets. The maiden races were big even fields with plenty of form = good betting races! nd the jumps races spectacular. A winning combo for an autumn meet....even in brass monkey weather!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wally said:

i probably was there that year from 1978 till 1994 i never missed a year always loved travelling down on the 15 seater bus full of booze and formguides did jim cerchi train dandy andy

Yes Wally. Old Jim did train him, I didn't stay for the cup that day, we were on our way home with a lovely silver tea/coffee set tucked under my arm. the trophy donated by Schweppes.....the Mrs seconded that and it is still in use at our place 30 years on.

• Like 1

Guest CrossCodes

I think he is fantastic, he has such a passion for jumps racing, and especially this carnival in particular, it wouldn't be the same without him.