Bit Of A Yarn

Terrible news Cambridge Stud

Thomass

Oustanding race horse and now Stud ROARING LION's emergency colic op could have massive repercussions for the future of shuttle stallions here...

NH Studs will be gun shy about this in future for sure...obtaining insurance could be almost impossible  in NZ...

And it highlights how ridiculous it is to still deny artificial insemination has a place in the Thoroughbred Industry...

...how absurd it is to travel these highly expensive Stallions to the other side of the World then..

...simply restrict numbers to a certain level for each Stallion...and were in business...

...meanwhile Rl fights for his life...the video shot while he was in quarantine is telling....

...flaring nostrils indicating pain before he was allowed out into the paddock... where Groom Corbin twigged he wasn't right..

https://mobile.twitter.com/LauraKingDXB/status/1154565159114792960

Don't horses get colic in England Thomass?

Why would this instance stop shuttle stallions?  There have probably been a thousand shuttle movements in the last twenty years to Australasia and this is one of very few incidents.

Perhaps they should stop having tests at Westpac Stadium because Retallick did his shoulder a mischief there.

Occasionally these things happen

• Like 1

Yes, they do...a terrible shame but not one out of the box.

It may well be that the company insuring R.L insists upon him staying closer to home...but I can't really see how it might affect shuttlers overall.

It's not as if he had been domiciled at Cambridge for weeks or months...he had barely gotten off the truck....maybe a problem could have/should have been picked up at the quarantine station..? That's a big call though.

Edited by Freda

6 hours ago, Reefton said:

Don't horses get colic in England Thomass?

Why would this instance stop shuttle stallions?  There have probably been a thousand shuttle movements in the last twenty years to Australasia and this is one of very few incidents.

Perhaps they should stop having tests at Westpac Stadium because Retallick did his shoulder a mischief there.

Occasionally these things happen

Being a top class 'hoarseman' Reefer..you'd know travelling from Blackpool to Blackpool Pear is a tad different to Ye olde colonial travel to Nu Ziland from old Blighty...

...Early in my career I dealt with a number of shuttlers...Yes the 'science' of travel has improved...but it's still fraught with danger...

My point of top class horses like RL being subject to more stringent insurance protocols stands...once bitten...

The Lindsey's will lose heavily over this...and obtaining a similar horse in future will be extremely hard imo

You wouldn't know the first thing about Cambridge's arrangement re the horse Thomass(nor would I) so if I were you I would sit back and see what happens.  

Brendon Lindsay is a pretty sharp operator and he will lose a lot simply on the stud fees let alone anything else but the horse could have got colic anywhere so blaming NZ or Cambridge is drawing a long bow. 

I went to the stud a few weeks ago and i was told that RL had to be hand walked for 30 minutes every day.The stud/owners from where he came from left no stone upturned for RL safety and well being.

Colic can and does happen all the time but to say this may hinder shuttle travel is unlikely,when you have had Coolmore and Darley sending stallions down under for years and RL would have done thousands of km in his racing career and look poor old Subzero almost fell to colic

• Like 1

On 29/07/2019 at 8:40 PM, Reefton said:

You wouldn't know the first thing about Cambridge's arrangement re the horse Thomass(nor would I) so if I were you I would sit back and see what happens.  

Brendon Lindsay is a pretty sharp operator and he will lose a lot simply on the stud fees let alone anything else but the horse could have got colic anywhere so blaming NZ or Cambridge is drawing a long bow. 

What the..

Where did I say ANYTHING at all about the arrangement...or criticising Cambridge or even NZ ffs?

Of course being a celebrated hoarseman you'd know the longer a neddy is confined in a small stall the greater the chance of an event...especially colic and travel sickness

20 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Of course being a celebrated hoarseman you'd know the longer a neddy is confined in a small stall the greater the chance of an event...especially colic and travel sickness

Well whatever I know Thomass would be one thing more than you do.  You distinctly said 'The Lindsays will lose heavily over this...'

You are commenting on the business of a man who, they tell me, is a very good bloke.  You have no idea of his commercial arrangement re the horse(and nor do I) but I feel bloody sorry for him.  He could not be said to have had much luck since he took over CS and this doesn't help.

Just wishing Cambridge Stud, the owners and most of all this lovely horse all the best. Bad stuff can (and does) happen to horses who have the best of care.

As far as the comms from Cambridge to date - a master class in PR in my opinion.

Good chance I'd say if he recovers that they won't risk him again down under.

Lovely horse - out of my league fee-wise but didn't stop me admiring from afar. A hard start for the Lindsays but they will cope with this.

Best wishes to all concerned.  J.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jess said:

Just wishing Cambridge Stud, the owners and most of all this lovely horse all the best. Bad stuff can (and does) happen to horses who have the best of care.

As far as the comms from Cambridge to date - a master class in PR in my opinion.

Good chance I'd say if he recovers that they won't risk him again down under.

Lovely horse - out of my league fee-wise but didn't stop me admiring from afar. A hard start for the Lindsays but they will cope with this.

Best wishes to all concerned.  J.

what a gracious, empathetic and wise person you are

• Like 2

Weasel, thank you.

I'm sure I'm no more so than most of you here. You only have to have had horses for a while to understand how you can pour everything into them - heart & soul (not to mention bank balance)  - & quite often they will defy all of this & find another way to break your heart.

Whether it be a promising 3y/o sustaining a mysterious but career ending injury before winning a race, your best racehorse going unsound, a long awaited foal destroyed at birth & then there's those times when you are let down by people to whom you have entrusted your pride & joy.  And this is just me!  Friends have had as much, if not more heartbreak.

But then there are the friends with the multiple group 1 winning home-bred .... loved sharing that joy with them ...and I continue to have my secret dreams that one day that might be me.

Best wishes to you all, folks.     

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

• 2 weeks later...

24 Aug 2019

Cambridge Stud and staff are devastated to report the loss of Roaring Lion overnight from further complications, following two major colic surgeries three weeks ago. 

Roaring Lion had been making a steady recovery and his support team were very pleased with his progress. Unfortunately, he suffered a further bout of colic late this evening and the decision was made to put him down. 

Cambridge Stud would like to acknowledge everyone from Cambridge Equine and the stud who supported the horse through a very difficult time. We particularly feel for Roaring Lion’s UK connections, Sheikh Fahad al Thani and his family and David Redvers and his family at Tweenhills. Our loss is keenly felt in New Zealand but theirs is unimaginable.