Bit Of A Yarn

Star Galleria

Richie

14 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Have you ever tried to develop a relationship with a South Island trainer to takeover some of their horses who have met their mark?

How much do you value the North's grass track season? Getting some handy Canterbury grass trackers for a month or so for a hit and run mission could bring some success.  Even some of the Southern horses could be a goer as they have next to no grass track racing. I notice the odd trainer makes the trek to Methven sometimes which is a long long way to go.

Do you sell your horses? Would you sell if you got a real good one?

I am just chucking simple ideas out there. No idea if they are valid or obvious. It is the armchair talking.

Have some connections I. The South Island but not a working relationship. Something to consider definitely.

grass meetings are great. The summer racing has a lot of opportunities. I my opinion we don’t have enough grass meetings.

would absolutely sell a good horse. The goal is to get the younger horses and see where they take us. The older horses certainly have their place but it’s the young ones that can set you apart from the rest.

excellent questions!! 

2 minutes ago, Pasketti said:

Have some connections I. The South Island but not a working relationship. Something to consider definitely.

grass meetings are great. The summer racing has a lot of opportunities. I my opinion we don’t have enough grass meetings.

would absolutely sell a good horse. The goal is to get the younger horses and see where they take us. The older horses certainly have their place but it’s the young ones that can set you apart from the rest.

excellent questions!! 

How do you go about training a horse?

Does one run it around a paddock a few times and then feed it or does one employ the most modern methods?

I am big on transference of ideas from one arena to another as the principles are essentially the same. I think some trainers could learn about fitness regimes from not only the best harness trainers and thoroughbred trainers but endurance athletes, conditioning experts, nutritional experts etc etc. They say young successful athletes these days get on youtube and learn from the videos on there. It used to take years for people to become 'experts' but in this day and age you can learn from the best in a matter of moments. There are some trainers who make an immediate difference to horses in their care. I don't believe that is down to drugs (to be blunt) I just think they have methods which are transformational compared to the trainer who is happen to do the same thing over and over and over which only leads to slow incremental rises in performance and, worse, the same results. Applies to business, sport...you name it.

When one sees the All Stars horse in the flesh, they are massive through the shoulder /  breast  / chest (?) I remember seeing Vincent and he looked like a body builder.  How does one build that in a horse? Some horses look so underdeveloped. I read an article on Triple Eight being on a water walker for 6 weeks to strengthen up. I suppose not everyone has a walker so how does one improvise?

If no one is there to help except a few training mates you might have to help yourself.

Armchair on fire.

10 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Does one run it around a paddock a few times and then feed it or does one employ the most modern methods?

I am big on transference of ideas from one arena to another as the principles are essentially the same. I think some trainers could learn about fitness regimes from not only the best harness trainers and thoroughbred trainers but endurance athletes, conditioning experts, nutritional experts etc etc. They say young successful athletes these days get on youtube and learn from the videos on there. It used to take years for people to become 'experts' but in this day and age you can learn from the best in a matter of moments. There are some trainers who make an immediate difference to horses in their care. I don't believe that is down to drugs (to be blunt) I just think they have methods which are transformational compared to the trainer who is happen to do the same thing over and over and over which only leads to slow incremental rises in performance and, worse, the same results. Applies to business, sport...you name it.

When one sees the All Stars horse in the flesh, they are massive through the shoulder /  breast  / chest (?) I remember seeing Vincent and he looked like a body builder.  How does one build that in a horse? Some horses look so underdeveloped. I read an article on Triple Eight being on a water walker for 6 weeks to strengthen up. I suppose not everyone has a walker so how does one improvise?

If no one is there to help except a few training mates you might have to help yourself.

Armchair on fire.

Agree that you have to help yourself. We are pretty self reliant and use a lot of different tricks from different trainers and find our own way. A lot of it is a learning curve. Passion takes you a long way too.

• Champ Post 1

10 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Armchair on fire.

Happy to say you can learn from the best in a matter of moments in regard to training horses is somewhat naive and a gross exaggeration.  Every horse is different in makeup , personality , etc. It takes years to build up knowledge on what to look for and apply certain methods to each individual horse, including nutrition, vet care , and so on.. Now because I have a son in law that trains horses I have first hand experience of the process and compared to the big stables (130 horses or so)where one size fits all because of staff/ time restraints , his horses are probably better looked after over all. An example of this is testing ph levels in the dung, which he does for gut health.  Big stables dont have the time, that I know of, therefore take a one size fits all approach when making up feed. Only when the horse presents with a sluggish disposition do they then pick up on it, and adjust accordingly with additives in the feed. But once again it takes experience to recognise in a horse when something isn't right, and a lot of that comes back(hopefully) from the track riders. 

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Happy to say you can learn from the best in a matter of moments in regard to training horses is somewhat naive and a gross exaggeration. 

I think you have misinterpreted what I was trying to say.

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

It takes years to build up knowledge

I am saying you can speed up the process of knowledge as people have access to a knowledge base that didn't exist 20 years ago. 

One can pick up a method or theory in a matter of moments instead of waiting for some 'expert' to give a lecture in your area that in the old days might have happened once every few years.

If I watch a rugby video on the internet in which Richie McCaw talks about openside play I have his knowledge in my hands. Does that make me an expert? No, but I have that knowledge and if I keep building on it then I will become an expert in a much shorter space of time.

For the hell of it, I searched up 'How do the Goldolphin's train horses" There are a few videos there that give an insight into how a major stable do things. That is building knowledge which I maybe able to apply to my horses if I trained them. 

Of course, hands on knowledge plays a big part but those hands are better armed than ever before.

• Like 1

Happy, my son in law would laugh his pants off and call you stark raving nuts if you thought you could train a horse ( and well) from a book or Google.

You can have all the knowledge in the world from your perspective  but you will only have a basic start point. 

Remember we are talking horses here that , as I have pointed out, have personalitys, idiosyncrasies, take different work loads etc, etc.