Bit Of A Yarn

Methven punters comp

Westview

3 minutes ago, the galah said:

I think betting on the tote sees the best punter win and is much fairer than the fixed odds system currently being used in the KPC  tab competitions.

I can see why the tab use the fixed odds only  and only have a $250 starting stake. They are almost guaranteed to come out significantly ahead with that type of format..In that format the winner seemed most likely to come from someone who risked most of their stake on a big collect on the last couple of races.

That strategy would not be as effective in a competition that had only  tote betting like methven did. I think the methven format is more likely to have the best overall punter on the  day as the winner, which is what I think it should be about.  Of course the club gets a  greater % as well.

I just don't understand the logic of expecting a punter to wait 3 races before they start punting like methven did.   

Galah, firstly I think Addington normally had something like $500 or $600 starting stake for their KPC.

Methven probably started on the 4th race to give more people time to get oncourse,

I haven’t competed in a punting comp for awhile now for a couple of reasons,  however when betting on the tote alone it distorted the tote dividends so much it was not funny, not that it worried the club as they got their %.

If a contestant wanted to have a decent go say $1000 or two into the pool would shorten the dividend up,so much that ultimately it wasn’t worth backing it.

What is the point of offloading and risking a large amount to get basically your  money back???

I think that punting comps are a good idea to increase turnover and that is always good for the Club and racing.

The Fixed odds that the KPC had for a short while I understand has now been canned.

Everyone competing in other competitions makes it on course by the first race so why wouldn't they at methven. It makes just as much sense to say don't include the last 3 races because people will want to go home.

The current KPC  require a stake of $250.     $500 was last year.

If you put $1000 on the tote it would distort a dividend so it encourages punters to spread their investment on other forms of betting on the same race. Of course betting a large amount say 20 minutes before race start time would see the odds not distorted to the extent they would say 5 minutes out.The club gets a greater % from the exotic bets as well. 

How many actually would bet that amount anyway? There is not too many out there with as big a bank balance as the brodster.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, the galah said:

Everyone competing in other competitions makes it on course by the first race so why wouldn't they at methven. It makes just as much sense to say don't include the last 3 races because people will want to go home.

The current KPC  require a stake of $250.     $500 was last year.

If you put $1000 on the tote it would distort a dividend so it encourages punters to spread their investment on other forms of betting on the same race. Of course betting a large amount say 20 minutes before race start time would see the odds not distorted to the extent they would say 5 minutes out.The club gets a greater % from the exotic bets as well. 

How many actually would bet that amount anyway? There is not too many out there with as big a bank balance as the brodster.

Thanks for your reply Galah.

I have not bothered at all with the KPC online comp at all this year but I see it was $200 over 10 races and a minimum of only $20 per race.

The fact that it was over harness, dogs and gallops possibly took the gloss off it for normal harness punters.

I agree that it would’ve been possible to start on the 1st or second race at Methven, although when Addington had the punters comp often the first race was often pretty early and difficult for some punters who work to at  least 5 pm, so you won’t suit everyone.

When Addington held the KPC oncourse there were often bets of $1k plus put on which totally changed the odds dramatically and not worth the risk.

Does anyone know how successful the online KPC has been this year as I have not heard anything about it!

One issue I have with it this year is the small amount of $200 for the heats and then the qualifiers I believe have to stump up with $5k and spend $500 on each and every race in the final which some may well find difficult!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Worth noting - and this, to me, is a major problem in some ways, but perhaps a positive for other clubs in another is that what money is spent on course nowadays is irrelevant for so many clubs. We've moved to a bulk funding model here in New Zealand, where clubs know from the outset of the season how much money they will receive for each meeting and then it's up to the individual clubs to budget how that money is divided across their meetings throughout the season. 

In the past a percentage of the on course and off course turnover was delivered back to a club post their race meeting. 

If they had an absolute cracking day and turned over $100k plus on course plus a huge amount off course and in fixed odds betting it could set the platform for future meetings to perhaps have a bonus increase in stakes whereas now, those sort of situations are less likely because there's no added incentive to drive higher turnover. 

Sure, if a club has a good day, those figures will be considered when it comes to revisiting their bulk funding payout for the next season - but unless a club has a bumper season in which they have no weather related issues and good big fields with lots of turnover it's largely a case of the good days doing enough to counter any potential losses on the bad days. 

Punters Clubs used to be a club's bread and butter. 

You could put one on - drive the hell out of it - get people on course punting and get the majority of the prize money back from what was invested in that room or area alone. 

Now it's a little harder to justify them because the direct result of their success isn't as readily evident as it has been in the past. 

• Like 4