Bit Of A Yarn

Methven punters comp

Westview

5 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Hope you had DDS super hi, I only took notice of it when you tipped it out a few months ago

No I didn't. Not worried in the slightest though.

Good to see him win. Nice drive where he got put in the race. The unruly horses were all walking in at the start which was required for him to begin well. He will still be hit and miss in the future  but he could certainly win a few more.

Did you back it?

• Like 2

It was a shame  that race was not included in the punter competition. I suppose they have their format they stick too. 

Maybe they would have got more entries had they done so?. You would think it would be a given that turnover would have increased had they included all 11 races.. Having said that I am only looking at it from my perspective. 

Would be interesting to know which race had the  highest turnover on from those competing in the punter competition.  

I thought there was some really good dividends there today. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

No I didn't. Not worried in the slightest though.

Good to see him win. Nice drive where he got put in the race. The unruly horses were all walking in at the start which was required for him to begin well. He will still be hit and miss in the future  but he could certainly win a few more.

Did you back it?

I nearly didn't,  but put $20 ew on him, because I knew the moment I left him out this would happen, just about recouped my losses on him!

21 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

You should have entered. Sounds easy to win doesn't it....?

I was going to go but decided  against it when the first 3 races weren't included. 

They started off with $800,so having  $900 at the end was only a $100 profit.

I can't be  entirely sure  what I  would have done had I been there.  Having said that  I did have a good day and made a profit on all but 1 race..   These meetings are the ones I prefer. Still you've got to be in to win,and I wasn't. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, the galah said:

I was going to go but decided  against it when the first 3 races weren't included. 

They started off with $800,so having  $900 at the end was only a $100 profit.

I can't be  entirely sure  what I  would have done had I been there.  Having said that  I did have a good day and made a profit on all but 1 race..   These meetings are the ones I prefer. Still you've got to be in to win,and I wasn't. 

It is a tough old competition. Those races were very competitive and under the pressure of having to win to be at the top of the leader board it must be taxing if you are in to win.

Tough competition at Methven and a lot

of luck also required because it only

takes one big collect say a trifecta to win it and then punters are chasing.

The fact that you have to bet on the tote and every race from the start doesn’t make you the best punter although some will disagree. Lol

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

The fact that you have to bet on the tote and every race from the start doesn’t make you the best punter although some will disagree. Lol

its a wonder you did not make heaps off your name sake HES A LADYS MAN  lol

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

its a wonder you did not make heaps off your name sake HES A LADYS MAN  lol

Better than the other way around Hunter?
Haven’t had a bet for ages although I did really like Momentous, as it was thrown in off the front and on the grass.

Been watching races on Trackside but while the NZ TAB have weak Tossers making the decisions they are to kill off racing, I just can not be bothered.

Racing is going to die a long slow death While people that have no business sense are making the decisions.

Gallops are knackered as well going by some of the stakes that they are racing for especially in the South Island.

Does anyone know how much it is to have a galloper trained nowadays???

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

They have bigger fish to fry, there are wanted posters up of "Brodster the kid" in every Tab across the land

If I aren’t going to TABs Flag, they ain’t going to get “the kid” 

What are they after me for now, not offloading?

If I was working for the NZ TAB I would be encouraging punters to have a go.

The odds are always in their corner, but the fact is that the big boys are making blatantly dumb decisions to stop punters from offloading.

I am aware of several other punters who have lost interest in both going to the track and betting.
Racing has never been in such a precarious position before and the so-called betting platform that they paid mega millions has not been the success that the hierarchy at the TAB said it would be.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

If I aren’t going to TABs Flag, they ain’t going to get “the kid” 

What are they after me for now, not offloading?

If I was working for the NZ TAB I would be encouraging punters to have a go.

The odds are always in their corner, but the fact is that the big boys are making blatantly dumb decisions to stop punters from offloading.

I am aware of several other punters who have lost interest in both going to the track and betting.
Racing has never been in such a precarious position before and the so-called betting platform that they paid mega millions has not been the success that the hierarchy at the TAB said it would be.

It would be nice to have a look into the future and see what the business model will look like in 10 years time

28 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

It would be nice to have a look into the future and see what the business model will look like in 10 years time

I would hope that harness racing was in a strong position in 10 years time, but I would be very surprised if it was, if the business decisions being made continued along the same lines.

Harness racing needs several things to make it successful and if one of the cogs disappears then racing is stuffed.

It needs owners and I doubt there are too many new owners coming into the sport as the returns just aren’t there.

It needs trainers and there are a few very good young ones coming thru at the moment, But I would say that it would be very difficult to make a great living out of it nowadays with costs and stakemoney having not increased from probably 20 years ago.

Domination of the major stakes races by one stable is also a major negative for owners and trainers wanting to invest into an industry with very poor returns for most!

It needs the right people in the business making the right decisions whether it be the racing clubs or TAB, and most of us know that there have been many blatantly stupid decisions made in recent years.

Finally, we need the racing product to be interesting enough for both existing and new punters to be able to bet on the product and with the NZ TAB not interested in allowing everyone to offload, racing is going to be facing major headwinds!!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

I think betting on the tote sees the best punter win and is much fairer than the fixed odds system currently being used in the KPC  tab competitions.

I can see why the tab use the fixed odds only  and only have a $250 starting stake. They are almost guaranteed to come out significantly ahead with that type of format..In that format the winner seemed most likely to come from someone who risked most of their stake on a big collect on the last couple of races.

That strategy would not be as effective in a competition that had only  tote betting like methven did. I think the methven format is more likely to have the best overall punter on the  day as the winner, which is what I think it should be about.  Of course the club gets a  greater % as well.

I just don't understand the logic of expecting a punter to turn up and wait to race 4 before they start punting like methven did.   

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2