NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

barryb

Whilst at the in-laws this weekend for Mother’s Day I came across 2 Racing books that were 30yrs old.

The 16th NZ Racing Annual from 1987, featuring Bonecrusher. It was an entertaining read covering the whole year and really did highlight the plight of NZ Racing as some of the races mentioned today race for the same or even less prize money. Wellington Cup $250k, Cox Plate $750k.

The other book is Stallions and Studs of NZ in 1987, 250 Stallions across a huge number of Studs. There are some fantastic names listed in it which really does show how successful NZ Racing was back then.

How things have gone so badly wrong in the short time of 30yrs.

ps: The books have left the in-laws library.

• Like 4

Barry,

That was the year of the share market crash. Some pie in the sky breeding ventures but really I didn't think racing was on any great roll. Got worse obviously after the crash but had steadily been declining since the fifties.

Lot of differences however. No wall to wall racing at the TAB, no Trackside and no TAB bookies. About that time pub bookies started dying out as TAB race closing times were reduced. The pub bookie may have taken turnover off the TAB but really gave a bit of interest to the patrons which in turn fostered interest in racing.

With no Trackside and no TAB bookies Revel Somervell's trials videos were a goldmine.

Trial and race performers which now go out at $3.00 would then go out at $20. Betting wise TAB bookies and Trackside have been a disaster.

I've got about 20 years of racing annuals from 1975 inwards until I got the stitch with them.  Some wonderful horses Show Gate Balmerino Uncle Remus Grey Way et al.

Often think I should chuck them out but never have the heart to(unlike a lot of other literature I have sent to the tip!)

I always remember my last year at school(1980) when they decided to give me a book prize(must have been a good attendance prize because I got eff all else at School) - they asked Mum who in turn asked me.  Eyes lit up and said 'Racing Annual!'.  Unfortunately Teachers were as killjoy then as they are today and they got me Memorable Moments in NZ Sport instead(I think it was one of the ones dispatched to the tip because I am buggered if I know where it is)

Around about November December I simply could not wait for the Racing Annual to appear on the bookshelves!

• Like 2