Bit Of A Yarn

Maybe GRNZ could learn a few things from this

Kiwigreys

This story was on ABC here in Sydney tonight and I have to say the Vic response was professional and first class. Nothing can move forward in NZ while this Cole saga hangs over the sport with a board and administration closing their eyes like there is nothing to see. Hardly surprising there is barely a post on these boards about actual racing just people frustrated by the ramshackle way this sport is run and governed. Time for a very large broom.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, bamboozla said:

This story was on ABC here in Sydney tonight and I have to say the Vic response was professional and first class. Nothing can move forward in NZ while this Cole saga hangs over the sport with a board and administration closing their eyes like there is nothing to see. Hardly surprising there is barely a post on these boards about actual racing just people frustrated by the ramshackle way this sport is run and governed. Time for a very large broom.

Well said Bam and I agree 110%

Just frustrates the crap out of me, NZ being such a place that trades so heavily on our clean, green, progressive image that we could have a greyhound racing industry that could take advantage of that and present ourselves as world leaders in ethical racing, welfare etc. We are small enough that we could easily have world leading outcomes in re-homing etc with some changes to the way we produce and race our greyhounds. Being a greyhound owner or trainer could be a badge worn with pride both nationally and abroad. We could produce many more employment opportunities and attract many more owners eager to be involved with these fantastic animals. I feel for the people doing the real hard yards up at the crack of dawn in winter slogging away in their mud covered gumboots getting shafted by the way the sport is run.

I would put a limit on race kennel sizes to say 20-30 race dogs, that's more than enough to keep yourself busy and allocate another half dozen to dogs transitioning from racing to gap or private adoption. Instead of a handful of kennels with hundreds of dogs we could have dozens of kennels employing people and producing better welfare outcomes.

Unfortunately the puppy farmers paying scant regard to welfare concerns while maximizing revenue by exploiting a low marginal cost model have their fingers in many pies from clubs to the board and beyond.

Edited by bamboozla
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, bamboozla said:

Just frustrates the crap out of me, NZ being such a place that trades so heavily on our clean, green, progressive image that we could have a greyhound racing industry that could take advantage of that and present ourselves as world leaders in ethical racing, welfare etc. We are small enough that we could easily have world leading outcomes in re-homing etc with some changes to the way we produce and race our greyhounds. Being a greyhound owner or trainer could be a badge worn with pride both nationally and abroad. We could produce many more employment opportunities and attract many more owners eager to be involved with these fantastic animals. I feel for the people doing the real hard yards up at the crack of dawn in winter slogging away in their mud covered gumboots getting shafted by the way the sport is run.

I would put a limit on race kennel sizes to say 20-30 race dogs, that's more than enough to keep yourself busy and allocate another half dozen to dogs transitioning from racing to gap or private adoption. Instead of a handful of kennels with hundreds of dogs we could have dozens of kennels employing people and producing better welfare outcomes.

Unfortunately the puppy farmers paying scant regard to welfare concerns while maximizing revenue by exploiting a low marginal cost model have their fingers in many pies from clubs to the board and beyond.

Totally agree! The sand divers are complicit. The model is flawed, the people being battered are those they should be doing their darndest to retain. They hold up the country's (pseudo) leading trainer as some sort of exemplary model for all others to aspire to.  Her current status is the result of her husband's bankruptcy, nothing more. It's all a massive lie. Had the governing body acted back then and suspended Cole as per the rules at the time, there probably would not have been live baiting proceedings pending now. I feel deeply for all those in the CD affected by this farce.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bamboozla said:

This isn't the first time their kennel has been investigated for live baiting.

This is the first time their kennel has been investigated for live baiting, with open eyes (SPCA).

If the RIU (or the preceding version of the RIU) were up to the task (in any of the instances) or enforcing integrity, we wouldn't be anywhere near where we are today. Soon everyone who watches the evening news will know all about live baiting, although most would have no idea what live baiting was if the RIU (or previous) dealt with it in a way which reached justice to the situations.

We, with interest in the code, should be more angry with the RIU's (or previous) lack of response or blatantly ignoring the situation altogether, than the live baiting that we believe has occurred.

GRNZ & the RIU had the pictures in hand first, so what'd they do with them?

Well I can tell you, they we more worried about how the pictures made it to them, than what the pictures were depicting. That action alone should be enough to put the code straight in to the eyes of the NZRB & the racing minister at the time & possibly the police.

Is it a surprise to anyone that Rendell was the board chair when it all began heating up (or when nothing happened about it)? 

Accountability is going to happen to the perpetrator in the court system, but why haven't the powers of the time been held accountable for their inactions & coverups?  Their crimes are far worse than the live baiting.

• Like 1

Image a GRNZ board with Bamboozla, Cockyaleg & myself filling the potential independent positions on it.

Do you thinks we'd put up with the rubbish the current & past boards, RIU & headquarters have been dealing out to GRNZ members?

Do you think Ferguson would have got away with fraud & match fixing for $300?

Membership of the Board

18.2 The Board shall comprise of: a. four (4) persons nominated by the Clubs,

a. self-nominated Club Member, or a Licenced Person who is not a Club Member under Rule 18.11b and elected by Members      under Rule 18.11; and

b. three (3) persons nominated by the Board in accordance with Rules 18.16 –18.18, and appointed by the Director Appointment   Panel under Rules 18.23 – 25.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/Files/Documents/NZGRA Constitution_15 July 2016_UPDATED NOV 2018 MASTER.pdf

The board is so closed in ranks not any of the three of us would likely even get in the door for an interview.

The current (& past boards) probably thinks the industry would tip over if it wasn't being governed by self-interests & favoritism.

Craig Rendell got his way while he was on there. How much better off is the industry as a whole now than prior to his tenure?

Edited by Yankiwi

Australian codes are decisive...probably because they are not in the trainers back pockets. Its a shame GRNZ is a laughing stock over here in Australia for not taking action. I have heard comments in the TAB against Coles when a dog of theirs is shown on TV and people laugh. 

• Champ Post 2

As a bit of self torture I read through the annual report posted on the grnz website, what a self congratulatory document. A lot of back slapping and virtue signalling about Mission statements, visions, purpose and values. The board are all there smiling like a bunch of Cheshire cats, with an average age looking well north of 50 you could hardly expect a progressive agenda. Lets just keep the status quo going of insiders gaming the system and the others entrusted to run the sport simply blind or indignant to anything.

• Like 1

https://www.grnz.co.nz/Files/Documents/GRNZ Annual Report 2019_3mmBleed_Individual Pages_Web compressed.pdf

Was a bit surprising to me to see an RIU surveillance image included in the report.

image.png.bcf8858d54d037ab58df5e745619dbd5.png 

So GRNZ & the RIU are not only showing the rule book is being completely ignored at times, they are openly promoting the breach of the rules?

image.png.c05b5135e3a08fb76bfa03006ba22816.png  

Edited by Yankiwi

I think Yankiwi does a fantastic job, I don't know how (or why) he spends so much time on here pointing out all the things he does but I'm glad he does! At least he doesn't walk around with blinkers on, in denial like you Yankiwi haters obviously do, rather someone point all this shit out than just blindly tolerate corruption/mediocrity (which is absolutely rife!!) in our industry.

If I'm not mistaken, on this occasion Yankiwi is simply pointing out that the above muzzle rule is stupid and poorly written given that muzzles come on and off all the time and it says to be worn "at all times".

Keep up the good work Yankiwi !

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, fur que said:

What a sad life you must lead 

Sad life, maybe.

But not so sad that I cast judgment on the way others live their life.

Anyways, feel free to keep following me in the forum Tony. One day I might live up to your preferred standards. However don't hold your breath, as it's not one of my sad life's goals.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1