Bit Of A Yarn

rip Bill Waterhouse

Fred

One of the best bookies and surely the biggest.

I remember at  Rosehill one day I had a wee liking for a Copenhagen 11 horse who had won fresh up in NZ -it was fresh and 200/1 so I put $200 on it and watched to see if it affected the price, Bill turned it out to 300/1, gave a smile and asked if I wanted to go again .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fred said:

One of the best bookies and surely the biggest.

I remember at  Rosehill one day I had a wee liking for a Copenhagen 11 horse who had won fresh up in NZ -it was fresh and 200/1 so I put $200 on it and watched to see if it affected the price, Bill turned it out to 300/1, gave a smile and asked if I wanted to go again .

He probably knew it was 'dead' Fred, he knew a lot of things, just refer to Bart Cummings book, I know one man who will be waiting for Bill at the pearly gates, and wont be to shake his hand.

7 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

He probably knew it was 'dead' Fred, he knew a lot of things, just refer to Bart Cummings book, I know one man who will be waiting for Bill at the pearly gates, and wont be to shake his hand.

NOT DEAD -still in front 50 yards out. 4th beaten noses. The other bookies followed Bills lead and I went down the line getting 50s and 100s on. Dutch courage courtesy of Tooheys and spondulicks from one of Jack O'Briens   Amura horses down in Melbourne

If you liked the Gambling Man, then other great reads revolving around Bookies and corruption in Australia is Frank Hardy's Power without Glory. About the life of John Wren, in the book John West. He was responsible for the Totalisator beginning in Aus. Like the Gambling Man, it had to go through long Court battles just to get published.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fred said:

NOT DEAD -still in front 50 yards out. 4th beaten noses. The other bookies followed Bills lead and I went down the line getting 50s and 100s on. Dutch courage courtesy of Tooheys and spondulicks from one of Jack O'Briens   Amura horses down in Melbourne

Geez you were stiff, shame, as it would have been nice to say you skinned that bloke!

On 22/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, aquaman said:

You need to read the Gambling Man, author somebody by the name of Perkins, well known Sydney journalist, all about Bill Waterhouse, fantastic read. His life story.

Yep,  read it years ago.   Great stuff.  I recently had a bookcase clean-up,  that was one that got passed on to the Sallies.  Wonder if anyone will give it a home.?