Bit Of A Yarn

Porkies..

Freda

40 minutes ago, Reefton said:

There is no beef.  Only thing is the Kumara Committee tend to look at their operation only and to be fair there are few real racing people on their committee so they are interested in their day on their course alone (and to be fair they run what is clearly a very good day).  You rarely if ever see any of the Kumara people at other race meetings. I think one of them denied that I ever offered Reefton two years ago but(being an Accountant and habitually keeping records) I havethe email where the offer was made.

And while they were tardy in paying their share they did stump up with the money for their quarter of the gates.  There is a lot of talk about their financial situation but I am not a member of their club and have no idea or interest.

For all that the Kumara Committee I know seem like decent people. Patrick Meates(the President) is a good bloke and some of the older Committee really have total commitment to making their day the success it so often is.  Good luck to them.

And what's more we have(finally) had some decent weather the last week or so so I expect all will be well with their course when the inspection occurs over the weekend.

And as a clarification if there is an argumentative prick in the relationship it is me. Kumara rarely if ever respond and I cannot recall too many cross words between us.

And my offer of the Reefton track then and now is not out of goodwill toward them - it is simply to keep faith with the stakeholders who spend vast amounts of money getting horses to the Coast and who deserve opportunities.  If some of them decide not to come the ones who do will probably still want to go to Kumara and if they miss one meeting it will be Reefton so we will be the victim of their inability to race.  Bear in mind that if Winston and Messara have their way Kumara will be the only course on the Coast.

I am well known for my argumentative nature and Pitty(and plenty at NZTR) will attest to that but the grassroots of racing are my people not a heap of people who grandstand about at their once a year trip to the races or the sales.  And to be fair a lot of my best (non racing) mates would no more consider turning up at Reefton races than fly to the moon but religiously line up for the KRC meeting every year.  50 million blowflies can't be wrong!

• Like 1