NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

NZRB and NZTR Agree to Immediately Fund Four All Weather Tracks

Boxie

NZRB and NZTR have come to an agreement that in lieu of stakes increases currently being funded out of NZRB reserves the money will be spent on four new all weather tracks.

The total amount is $25 million which equates to a similar amount distributed so far in the last 18 months to paying for stake increases.

The Trainers Association and Owners and Breeders have welcomed this long overdue move.  There is no point racing for poor stakes when the tracks are not up to scratch.

Te Akau and Pencarrow have also pledged their recently announced increases in tax rebates to the cause.

• Like 1

• Journalists

Boxie maybe posting tongue in cheek - my sources tell me he is unfortunately.  However he makes a very good point that I should have emphasised more in my blog - the industry is churning through reserves to fund essentially operating expenses in the form of stakes.

Any company that does that, spends reserves on operating expenses, is in dire trouble and their share price would plummet accordingly.  It would be more prudent to spend that money on lasting infrastructure that will improve revenue opportunities.

NZTR and NZRB still have it within their powers to fund the development of all weather tracks or other infrastructure at the level where the hoof hits the turf.

At the current burn rate in less than two years there won't be any reserves left.

Yes, and you have to think NZTR could have done that. Used the extra NZRB funds to replace existing stakes (because it had to be used for stakes) and take some or all of that amount of funding from the regular distribution and use that that to start relaying existing tracks, build an all weather or whatever, but something constructive to improve the product.

12 hours ago, curious said:

Yes, and you have to think NZTR could have done that. Used the extra NZRB funds to replace existing stakes (because it had to be used for stakes) and take some or all of that amount of funding from the regular distribution and use that that to start relaying existing tracks, build an all weather or whatever, but something constructive to improve the product.

Surely there can be a redistribution of stakes that at the very least allows racing to put something together to at least get one all weather facility off the ground?

As an example what are we doing racing for $25k & $35k on a Friday at Riccarton  or on a Sunday at Te Rapa for that matter and I do mean the flat events not the prestigious jumps events. This goes on all year  and if those races were for $20k the fields wouldn't be any different or $15k  in most cases. Saturday and Public holidays are showcase days for the time being and the rest are run at industry levels to get some sort of funding for infrastructure off the ground? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, curious said:

Why does it "have to be used for stakes"?

27 minutes ago, curious said:

That was specified in the agreement by the NZRB in making the additional distributions.

So they can change the agreement as under the Racing Act the distribution can be assigned to anything can't it?

This was not the distribution provided for under the Act. It was additional to that. They can do what they want with the original distribution, yes. That's why I was suggesting they take money for tracks from that and still apply the additional amount to stakes.