Bit Of A Yarn

*race callers

18 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Listening to the race calls from Honkers ,I must say this Tom Wood is a real star.

Him and Matt Hill...the best,around  Flindell not far behind.

The worst..Dave McDonald...photo with deceased D.Tyquin.

Over rated historically Keith Haub.

Just so we can judge your entitlement to critique commentators could you just put a couple of your own efforts up so we can compare these 'Mugs' Haub, Tyquin and McDonald with those who dare to criticize.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Just so we can judge your entitlement to critique commentators could you just put a couple of your own efforts up so we can compare these 'Mugs' Haub, Tyquin and McDonald with those who dare to criticize.

absolutely,so long as you can put your hand on your heart and say you never ever have had an opinion about say the AB's .,coaches or the thousands of things that you have not personally done in your life.

?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, holy ravioli said:

Listening to the race calls from Honkers ,I must say this Tom Wood is a real star.

I have been listening to Honkers today as well...flying isn’t he!

Yet wasn’t rated by the clowns at Trackside and is now calling on one of the biggest stages...go figure.

McDonald well respected but IMO should just stick to the ben-hur’s.

36 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

absolutely,so long as you can put your hand on your heart and say you never ever have had an opinion about say the AB's .,coaches or the thousands of things that you have not personally done in your life.

?

Clearly you are rather defensive so we will just have to conclude that you have no idea won't we? And the AB coach position has a slight difference in that you have 15-23 other people supporting you - a commentator has exactly none. And when they make a mistake it is instantaneously known to all and sundry.

The worst of them is unbelievably good let alone the best and if you think it is easy line up and have a go.

I do agree with you however Tom Wood is very talented and I might add his first day calling gallops was at Reefton.  Very very nice young bloke to boot and great to see him do well.  

• Like 1

Just now, Reefton said:

Clearly you are rather defensive so we will just have to conclude that you have no idea won't we? And the AB coach position has a slight difference in that you have 15-23 other people supporting you - a commentator has exactly none. And when they make a mistake it is instantaneously known to all and sundry.

The worst of them is unbelievably good let alone the best and if you think it is easy line up and have a go.

I do agree with you however Tom Wood is very talented and I might add his first day calling gallops was at Reefton.  Very very nice young bloke to boot and great to see him do well.  

Bet there hasn’t been too many callers call their first meeting at Reefton to go and call in Hong Kong. Wasn’t he mentored by Reon Murtha? Another Reefton connection

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Bet there hasn’t been too many callers call their first meeting at Reefton to go and call in Hong Kong. Wasn’t he mentored by Reon Murtha? Another Reefton connection

Believe so. I could be wrong about his first gallops meeting being there though - I think it was but as usual with me I have not checked it.  

Remember how when he took over the CD if there was a premier day they would import George Simon or occasionally Mark Mac to do it? How bloody insulting. Thank God they aren't pulling that stunt with Matt Cross.

11 hours ago, Reefton said:

Interesting observations.

No doubt you will be left wondering how on earth people like..say..Hanson and Henry are given knighthoods - '  And the AB coach position has a slight difference in that you have 15-23 other people supporting you - '

Good to see you agree with someone with 'no idea'..regarding Tom Wood.

6 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Interesting observations.

No doubt you will be left wondering how on earth people like..say..Hanson and Henry are given knighthoods - '  And the AB coach position has a slight difference in that you have 15-23 other people supporting you - '

Good to see you agree with someone with 'no idea'..regarding Tom Wood.

In regards people getting knighthoods or whatever I am often left wondering what justification there is for dishing them out. Henry and Hansen at least brought some euphoria to the nation over 16 years or whatever. Whether we should even be retaining those honours - well that is another argument.

On 11/01/2020 at 7:02 PM, holy ravioli said:

Keith haub one of our greatest; Georgia Simon makes me cringe when trying to copy him and tell a joke during a race he's not in the same class. Darren flindell was good until he got the Sydney job, it seems every time he calls a horse I have punted for a place in for 3rd it's actually finished 4th or 5th.. I generally listen on the radio so place my trust in acurate callers...he seems to not bother about anything other than the first 2. Davy Mac is great.

Tom wood has certainly improved overseas,  I didn't rate him while here due to his constant calls where everything was a 2 horse war and those 2 horses always got run down!.......

I rated myself as a race caller between 10-12yrs old when i would race marbles down the drive and call them home into a tape recorder......Macs gamble, gun for fun, axeman,  all marbles had a name.....that tape must have been lost in the post when i sent it to 1zb

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Tom wood has certainly improved overseas,  I didn't rate him while here due to his constant calls where everything was a 2 horse war and those 2 horses always got run down!.......

found this after a quick Google search http://www.harnesslink.com/News/Longtime-race-caller-hangs-up-his-binoculars-77446

http://www.harnesslink.com/News/New-Zealand-caller-set-for-a-bright-future-82681

first called Boxing Day 2009....come along way in 10 years or so. 18 or 19 years of age when he started, so only natural he would be better. Learned from mistakes and developed so much so that he’s developed into a class called.

Edited by Bill
  • Like 2

On 1/11/2020 at 8:26 PM, Reefton said:

I agree. To those who want to criticize, let them submit their audition tapes and wait for the results .

1 hour ago, Bill said:

found this after a quick Google search http://www.harnesslink.com/News/Longtime-race-caller-hangs-up-his-binoculars-77446

http://www.harnesslink.com/News/New-Zealand-caller-set-for-a-bright-future-82681

first called Boxing Day 2009....come along way in 10 years or so. 18 or 19 years of age when he started, so only natural he would be better. Learned from mistakes and developed so much so that he’s developed into a class called.

was always assumed Ian chambers was pushed rather than wanting to retire on his own terms which i think made a few people pissed off as he was a fantastic caller...Tom has got better as he gets older that's for sure, doubt there will be enough money in nz to lure him back.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Yeah as I said previously his first day calling gallops was our meeting ten or so days later I think after three harness meetings on the Coast.

3 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

was always assumed Ian chambers was pushed rather than wanting to retire on his own terms which i think made a few people pissed off as he was a fantastic caller...Tom has got better as he gets older that's for sure, doubt there will be enough money in nz to lure him back.

Yeah not sure about that but I remember Ian's voice failing him at Grey Trots more than once.  It made me feel pretty average in that I could only imagine how desperate he would feel talking but with no sound coming out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Keith haub one of our greatest; Georgia Simon makes me cringe when trying to copy him and tell a joke during a race he's not in the same class. Darren flindell was good until he got the Sydney job, it seems every time he calls a horse I have punted for a place in for 3rd it's actually finished 4th or 5th.. I generally listen on the radio so place my trust in acurate callers...he seems to not bother about anything other than the first 2. Davy Mac is great.

I rated myself as a race caller between 10-12yrs old when i would race marbles down the drive and call them home into a tape recorder......Macs gamble, gun for fun, axeman,  all marbles had a name.....that tape must have been lost in the post when i sent it to 1zb

Haub was like the boxer who should have retired much earlier.

His calls were embarrassing,always calling horses down the outside when the inside were in front.

And his shameless promotion of Mc Ginty at stud was ..laughable.

1 hour ago, holy ravioli said:

Haub was like the boxer who should have retired much earlier.

His calls were embarrassing,always calling horses down the outside when the inside were in front.

And his shameless promotion of Mc Ginty at stud was ..laughable.

certainty not my memory of him ravioli, great caller with a brilliant sense of humor.

• Like 3