Bit Of A Yarn

Catalyst - go fast blinkers not necessary.

Chief Stipe

Trainer has blinkers rethink on boom Kiwi Catalyst

AAP
Article Author

AAP

Trainer Clayton Chipperfield has had a change of heart and boom New Zealand three-year-old Catalyst will not wear blinkers in Australia.

After the gelding's sluggish start in Saturday's Group III Mr Tiz Trophy victory at Ellerslie, the trainer's immediate thoughts were to re-apply the blinkers.

But after studying the replay, Chipperfield said it was not Catalyst's fault he came out last and the gear was unnecessary.

"I thought straight away we might have made a blue in taking the hood off," Chipperfield told NZ Racing Desk.

"However, when I've watched the replay a couple of times you can see he actually anticipated the start and smashed his head on the front of the gate.

"As he steps back the gates have opened so that's why he has missed the kick.

"I can confirm now he won't be wearing the hood for his first run in Australia.

Catalyst easily closed the gap on his rivals approaching the home turn on Saturday and put them away comfortably.

"He can just get himself going in a few strides," Chipperfield said.

"You can put him anywhere you like in a race and he can catch them and put them away so quick.

"He was eight lengths off them approaching the turn and by halfway up the straight he was home."

Catalyst is booked on a flight to Melbourne in two weeks to prepare for the Group III C S Hayes (1400m) at Flemington.

"He travelled home last night and put his head straight in the feed bin," Chipperfield said.

"He had a bit of a run around his paddock this morning and is nice and free so he has come through the race well.

"His main target is the Australian Guineas two weeks after that although we will be looking to make a statement first-up as he is still well in contention for a start in the All-Star Mile (March 14)."

The final field for the $5 million All-Star Mile (1600m) at Caulfield is primarily decided by public vote with Chipperfield aware his star needs more support to take one of the 10 automatic spots decided by that vote.

"I think voting closes the day after the C S Hayes so it would be good to see him win or go really well so the Australian public get in behind him," Chipperfield said.

"We know he has a big New Zealand following but we need that Aussie interest to get him over the line."

• Champ Post 1

Rookie trainer makes rookie error by changing winning gear....

...forget the HQ gates excuse...

...they ALL charged the gate after hearing the rookie Starter not fully pressing the button correctly...

..and they ALL took a step back again...

Across the ditch he'll need them on to match AB's tactical speed out of the gates....

....and getting back in the field means he'll be subject to every dirty trick the Oz Jocks will throw at him....

2 hours ago, Thomass said:

Won without it.  1:08  on a D4.  Ran home in 32.  Not a bad effort.

2 hours ago, Thomass said:

they ALL charged the gate after hearing the rookie Starter not fully pressing the button correctly...

Where did you hear that from?  How can you not press a button correctly?

3 hours ago, Thomass said:

and getting back in the field means he'll be subject to every dirty trick the Oz Jocks will throw at him....

As I said after his win at Ruakaka Catalyst has the turn of foot to get out of trouble which bodes well for OZ.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thomass said:

...forget the HQ gates excuse...

...they ALL charged the gate after hearing the rookie Starter not fully pressing the button correctly...

..and they ALL took a step back again...

Across the ditch he'll need them on to match AB's tactical speed out of the gates....

....and getting back in the field means he'll be subject to every dirty trick the Oz Jocks will throw at him....

how so?

he won his last start without the hood, and went significantly faster than the open handicap sprinters over the same journey. 

Clayton has been training for some time, Clayton is not a trainer that would typically get the types like you see Te Akau have, or Bakers.  However, he has done superbly with Catalyst, and appears to have struck an amazing horse.  Whom he has had in great nick.

So how is it so that you deem a very experienced trainer a rookie? and explain how he made an error?

ive read some of your garbish, and you truly are a total fuckwit and why i hold back from joining in discussions on this site because of absolute morons like you

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

11 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

how so?

he won his last start without the hood, and went significantly faster than the open handicap sprinters over the same journey. 

Clayton has been training for some time, Clayton is not a trainer that would typically get the types like you see Te Akau have, or Bakers.  However, he has done superbly with Catalyst, and appears to have struck an amazing horse.  Whom he has had in great nick.

So how is it so that you deem a very experienced trainer a rookie? and explain how he made an error?

ive read some of your garbish, and you truly are a total fuckwit and why i hold back from joining in discussions on this site because of absolute morons like you

Just as well I didn't have moi's afternoon nap before you absolutely spanked me...

...or I would have larfed all the way thru it...

Alors...you're a thieves on wheels purveyor...your namesake and obvious hero is a TRUE BLUE dinky Di magic drug cheat who lives with a drug dealer...

Id go back to the Harness section if I was you...where some other Harness Type called you a "tosser"

Now for some FACTS for Thoroughbred peeps like Freda..who understand...

Chips..as his mates call him...

..has had VERY little actual training experience...

...hence his indecisive reaction when calling for the Blinkers to go back on...

...and that's a very wise choice...if he'd only stood by his original statement 

You see Blinkered horses GENERALLY Jump handy...it concentrates the mind...and it's what will be required to match the likes of AB's tactical Speed where it'll race handy...

..out of trouble and where most races are won..

Changing a tried and true formula just because he thinks C doesn't need them anymore is balmy army stuff.....

...but that would resonate with you...

53 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Just as well I didn't have moi's afternoon nap before you absolutely spanked me...

...or I would have larfed all the way thru it...

Alors...you're a thieves on wheels purveyor...your namesake and obvious hero is a TRUE BLUE dinky Di magic drug cheat who lives with a drug dealer...

Id go back to the Harness section if I was you...where some other Harness Type called you a "tosser"

Now for some FACTS for Thoroughbred peeps like Freda..who understand...

Chips..as his mates call him...

..has had VERY little actual training experience...

...hence his indecisive reaction when calling for the Blinkers to go back on...

...and that's a very wise choice...if he'd only stood by his original statement 

You see Blinkered horses GENERALLY Jump handy...it concentrates the mind...and it's what will be required to match the likes of AB's tactical Speed where it'll race handy...

..out of trouble and where most races are won..

Changing a tried and true formula just because he thinks C doesn't need them anymore is balmy army stuff.....

...but that would resonate with you...

i have never been involved in harness.  I helped with training race horses for over 15 years with 2 family member stables, with both group success north and south, and biggest feat, 1 group 1 win in avondale cup when it was a group 1.  have also had plenty of experience with application of blinkers for some horses, so know very fine and well what it "can" do.  I do not say any of this to blow my own trumpet, but to merely point out I have had experience in this game, as both in training and as an owner.

so stick to facts. i dont know were you have come up with this. 

Clayton Chipperfield has had significant experience as both a jockey, and for quite a few years now as a trainer.  I have no doubt he in some capacity is still learning, however that is only a good thing, but to suggest he has very little training experience goes to show how little you actually know, and just proves what a complete imbocile you are.  Without use of the blinkers, at Ellerslie, Catalyst was arguably atleast 4 lenghts faster than our open handicappers, and won.  So please explain how Claytons inexperience shone through here, i thought it was an excellent training first, and first up, and not fully tuned as he obviously has bigger fish to fry, what an amazing horse.

you should also realise, that applying blinkers can cause some effects such as overracing, being unkind during the run, racing ungenerously all of which can bring a horse undone, and continuous use of blinkers, were a horse is being unkind can lead to a horse not wanting to put in the same and continuous amount of effort, all factors which i have previously experienced.  It is possible that Catalyst relaxes better without blinkers, and with aussie being his target, perhaps he wants the horse to settle better, all possibilities, only Clayton will know.  Unless you are affiliated with the stable, Clayton will know the horse and whether the application of blinkers is best, as opposed to you.

you have shown yourself to be an absolute muppet who knows fu## all about fu## all.  I apologise to others for my use of language, but to suggest you know better than the trainer, to suggest he is very inexperienced when infact despite being relatively young is not inexperienced, and in some way made an error with how he raced the horse without blinkers i just find utterly absurd and completely stupid.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Catalyst is top drawer - the best horse's don't need blinkers.

Full credit to Clayton he has trained catalyst out of them.

The best horse's eye ball their opponents.

Not only that, he's run about 6 lengths faster without them than he ever did with them by my calculations. I'd be putting them in mothballs.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, All The Aces said:

Curious, your calculations rated him a $4.50 chance in that field. You and the other sycophants weren't even in the ball park. 9_9 

Neither were you, since you and your brother always have the winners after the race.

Go back and have a look at MarkyMark's posts here as he is bang on, 2 of the most accurate and intelligent posts made on this topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

i have never been involved in harness.  I helped with training race horses for over 15 years with 2 family member stables, with both group success north and south, and biggest feat, 1 group 1 win in avondale cup when it was a group 1.  have also had plenty of experience with application of blinkers for some horses, so know very fine and well what it "can" do.  I do not say any of this to blow my own trumpet, but to merely point out I have had experience in this game, as both in training and as an owner.

so stick to facts. i dont know were you have come up with this. 

Clayton Chipperfield has had significant experience as both a jockey, and for quite a few years now as a trainer.  I have no doubt he in some capacity is still learning, however that is only a good thing, but to suggest he has very little training experience goes to show how little you actually know, and just proves what a complete imbocile you are.  Without use of the blinkers, at Ellerslie, Catalyst was arguably atleast 4 lenghts faster than our open handicappers, and won.  So please explain how Claytons inexperience shone through here, i thought it was an excellent training first, and first up, and not fully tuned as he obviously has bigger fish to fry, what an amazing horse.

you should also realise, that applying blinkers can cause some effects such as overracing, being unkind during the run, racing ungenerously all of which can bring a horse undone, and continuous use of blinkers, were a horse is being unkind can lead to a horse not wanting to put in the same and continuous amount of effort, all factors which i have previously experienced.  It is possible that Catalyst relaxes better without blinkers, and with aussie being his target, perhaps he wants the horse to settle better, all possibilities, only Clayton will know.  Unless you are affiliated with the stable, Clayton will know the horse and whether the application of blinkers is best, as opposed to you.

you have shown yourself to be an absolute muppet who knows fu## all about fu## all.  I apologise to others for my use of language, but to suggest you know better than the trainer, to suggest he is very inexperienced when infact despite being relatively young is not inexperienced, and in some way made an error with how he raced the horse without blinkers i just find utterly absurd and completely stupid.

"the real question about this horse is why he hasnt been enforced by stipes to start from the unruly, i wuld say my gripe would be that he hasnt, and if he breaks, he could be distracting other runners by breaking or potentially causing interference.

i hope for the owners they reward his patience.

the reality is with the right race and manners, he is capable. he showed this at blenhem running  close second. "

Your qoute...you have a thieves wheels name and you're very au fait with the 'form'...

...yet "I have never been involved with Harness"

Yea na

Racing websites are all about OPINION and posters shouldn't have to preface EVERY post with 'in my opinion'

Alors...Im coming from a very solid knowledge base after years in the Industry...proven beyond doubt from any person who claims to be able to read...

Clearly you can't...

FYI after the race both Trainer and Owner said...

"he better not get that far back in Australia or he won't be able to compete...the Blinkers go back on"

My suggestion is go back to your Harness hole

best over there then

17 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Catalyst is top drawer - the best horse's don't need blinkers.

Full credit to Clayton he has trained catalyst out of them.

The best horse's eye ball their opponents.

Haha..like Melody Belle

Give it a rest mate...

As Ive pointed out before it very much depends on temperament and upbringing...

...running with mobs as young horses for a start...

16 hours ago, curious said:

Not only that, he's run about 6 lengths faster without them than he ever did with them by my calculations. I'd be putting them in mothballs.

Funny stuff bi....

A small field...ridden for luck with a perfect run through..

Of course you and your fellow Sultans of Sophistry don't allow time for unlucky runs and covering extra ground do they...

...So a trouble free run once settled...is always going to look good once released...

Stick to girly swotting olde Racing documents is my best advice...

best

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Neither were you, since you and your brother always have the winners after the race.

Go back and have a look at MarkyMark's posts here as he is bang on, 2 of the most accurate and intelligent posts made on this topic.

Ah the sycophant who priced Catalyst at $4.30, 20 cents short of Curious's $4.50 who also priced Probabeel at $6.00. 

You were both short of sense. :D  Completely off the mark. 

Hey, it happens sometimes but with you guys it's become more than a habit.

7 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Funny stuff bi....

A small field...ridden for luck with a perfect run through..

Of course you and your fellow Sultans of Sophistry don't allow time for unlucky runs and covering extra ground do they...

...So a trouble free run once settled...is always going to look good once released...

Stick to girly swotting olde Racing documents is my best advice...

best

This post would have to take the prize for the biggest bunch of crap you have ever written.  They broke 1:09 at Ellerslie on a D4 track.  Catalyst ran home in 32!  They are FACTS!  Not supposition and the subjective spin that you write.

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

This post would have to take the prize for the biggest bunch of crap you have ever written.  They broke 1:09 at Ellerslie on a D4 track.  Catalyst ran home in 32!  They are FACTS!  Not supposition and the subjective spin that you write.

Thats a real big call Chief, since every post he has made is the biggest bunch of crap, his brother ATA is right behind him in the punting the next day nonsense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Ah the sycophant who priced Catalyst at $4.30, 20 cents short of Curious's $4.50 who also priced Probabeel at $6.00. 

You were both short of sense. :D  Completely off the mark. 

Hey, it happens sometimes but with you guys it's become more than a habit.

They didn't see value in the price both horses were paying.  Simple really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

They didn't see value in the price both horses were paying.  Simple really.

The trouble is Tomarse and ATA think that because the market assessed both very short priced favs and because they won then the market is right, if that was the case then backing all favs would be a winning proposition long term which it is certainly not.

The 2  do add some serious entertainment factor to your site however, its always good to read that there are still those whom think what they post is correct, good for the longer term viability of the industry.

MarkyMark's posts were as accurate as you can get on the poster assessment.

2 minutes ago, barryb said:

The trouble is Tomarse and ATA think that because the market assessed both very short priced favs and because they won then the market is right, if that was the case then backing all favs would be a winning proposition long term which it is certainly not.

Thomaas also forgets he was talking about laying Catalyst!  At $1:10 there was no value for the risk.  

20 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Keep up the smack talk Chef..it's all you've got...

FACT...'sting out of the track' Tracks can actually run faster than firmer ones...wtf knew?

Didnt cover any extra ground, held up, or interfered with...a straight run

Whereas his G1 win required Troy to handle bars sideways...severely knocking himself off balance and the opposition...

read 'time lost'