Bit Of A Yarn

2 year olds- Where the bloody hell are you?

Brodie

End of January and Addington has programmed a $10k 2 year old race over 1980m.

How many nominations have we got? 5 that’s right just 5!

3 from the all conquering AllStars stable, 1 from Cran Dalgety and 1 from Ross Houghton!

I can remember from November there would be 2 year old races week in week Out.

Where are the 2 year olds, have they been turned out and not I work or are the owners and trainers just not interested in racing them as early horses, or have they been scared off by something?

If there are less than 8 starters then the stake may be dropped to $8k!

Pointless running the race if there is only 5 starters and doesn’t bode well for the future does it?

!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brodie said:

End of January and Addington has programmed a $10k 2 year old race over 1980m.

How many nominations have we got? 5 that’s right just 5!

3 from the all conquering AllStars stable, 1 from Cran Dalgety and 1 from Ross Houghton!

Where are the 2 year olds, have they been turned out and not I work or are the owners and trainers just not interested in racing them as early horses, or have they been scared off by something?

If there are less than 8 starters then the stake may be dropped to $8k!

Pointless running the race if there is only 5 starters and doesn’t bode well for the future does it?

!

most of the good ones like krug are waiting for the group one races why race for 10k when you can race for 150k

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Where are the 2 year olds, have they been turned out and not I work or are the owners and trainers just not interested in racing them as early horses, or have they been scared off by something!

what 2yo's do you recall racing during january at addington in recent seasons ?

12 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

The Sapling Stakes is on at Ashburton on February 22nd which isn't far away so maybe some horses would like a run before it?

There is only one other 2 year old race in the South Island (other than this one with 5 acceptors at Addington) which is in Southland.

So it seems the Sapling Stakes will be a glorified trial for $30 000 for the All Stars barn. There will be about 7 horses in the race with next to no exposed form, 4 or 5 which will be from AS so it is a done deal.

Pretty bloody lame to me. I always thought the Sapling Stakes was a worthy race back in the day but not anymore. It is actually a meaningless race that carries a Group 3 tag which is a farce.

You can keep playing the wind brodie up game and turn the thread into a back and forth jibe fest or decide to actually comment on the questions he posed.

3 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

You can keep playing the wind brodie up game and turn the thread into a back and forth jibe fest or decide to actually comment on the questions he posed.

was just a question for brodie but you are more than welcome to answer it too, anyone in fact

35 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

When the Cup meeting was 4 days and Dominion was the last night the first 2 yr race was programmed either the second to or last day of the carnival and had a full field .

There were regular 2 yr old races and spilt colts and fillies alternative meetings from then with big races been the Welcome Stakes , Leonard memorial & Sapling stakes .

Sweepstake races were not around .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

4 minutes ago, LongOwner said:

When the Cup meeting was 4 days and Dominion was the last night the first 2 yr race was programmed either the second to or last day of the carnival and had a full field .

There were regular 2 yr old races and spilt colts and fillies alternative meetings from then with big races been the Welcome Stakes , Leonard memorial & Sapling stakes .

Sweepstake races were not around .

back in my day i remember el jefe beating mister wood chips in the springtime stakes and another year tat winning with star lady on night one and on night two running 3rd to lyndon robert with with tempo cavallo in the springtime stakes

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

6 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

back in my day i remember el jefe beating mister wood chips in the springtime stakes and another year tat winning with star lady on night one and on night two running 3rd to lyndon robert with with tempo cavallo in the springtime stakes

Lyndon Robert great looking horse 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Ranga, my point is that 2 year old racing has gone backward hugely to the point that it is just not a happening thing till far later in the season.

I can remember 2 year old racing being exciting, but nowadays it is not if not many wanting to start.

The bigger professional stables plus smaller stables always had 2 Year olds Ready to race in November but not now.

The Grices, Middletons, Smolenski, Noble etc

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Ranga, my point is that 2 year old racing has gone backward hugely to the point that it is just not a happening thing till far later in the season.

I can remember 2 year old racing being exciting, but nowadays it is not if not many wanting to start.

The bigger professional stables plus smaller stables always had 2 Year olds Ready to race in November but not now.

The Grices, Middletons, Smolenski, Noble etc

it is what it is.

so much has changed from when you were in your prime and jack smo was trifecta'ing the easter cup.

they are not queuing up to run in the young guns this year either. whats that about, is it simply a flow on from diminishing foal crops ?

some clubs had a feature 2yo race and these were spread out through the season with the major 2yo race in june. Now we have a bit of a bottleneck of feature races in may/june

morrinsville, waimate, timaru, to name a few

it is sad how the calendar is a shadow of its former self :(

• Like 1

Ranga, I repeat I am still in my prime,!

There would be far more 2 year old races if there wasn’t the dominance!

Trainers know they are pushing it uphill through the early and group races, that it’s HT it is going to be difficult to justify racing horses financially nowadays

17 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Alan Clark might have all of them? Well, the trotters anyway.

I see 3 of the 5 are fillies too.

There have been a few at the trials but obviously haven't been sent to race day yet. 

Alan would like to know if there are trials on the Thursday so he can give them a good hard run the day before the race. 

10 minutes ago, Brodie said:

There would be far more 2 year old races if there wasn’t the dominance!

Trainers know they are pushing it uphill through the early and group races, that it’s HT it is going to be difficult to justify racing horses financially nowadays

i suspected this was yet another soapbox opportunity for you, foolish of me to give you the benefit of the doubt :(

kd brodster.jpg

Edited by Rangatira
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

i suspected this was yet another soapbox opportunity for you, foolish of me to give you the benefit of the doubt :(

kd brodster.jpg

Ranga, what do you put it down to then, why there are next to no 2 year olds from other stables willing to race?

Just now, Rangatira said:

did you read my entire post around 11am this morning or just the attempt at humour

My good friend Brodie, master trainer Fred Fletcher has some handy two-year-old Royal Aspiration trotters that will race soon. All of them go all right so get on. I give you the tip mate!!!

41 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

My good friend Brodie, master trainer Fred Fletcher has some handy two-year-old Royal Aspiration trotters that will race soon. All of them go all right so get on. I give you the tip mate!!!

still got the pip i think

might be back in business sept 20

3 hours ago, Rangatira said:

did you read my entire post around 11am this morning or just the attempt at humour

Why are there less foals being bred Ranga?

Because breeders and owners are realising that breeding a foal and racing it is almost always a loss making venture nowadays?

They have very little chance of winning enough money to make it a viable exercise as the group races are not winnable nowadays!

The only option is to breed to sell and no point breeding from a poorly performed mare or poor family as you have to pay plenty for a Bettors or Art Major service and marginal if there is anything in it anyway!

• Like 1