Bit Of A Yarn

Abandoned Auckland Cup heat

aquaman

In 1997 I found myself in the same situation which happened at Auck on Sunday. I was in the first heat for the Silver Collar with Aqua Floss. She was the favourite in box 1. The lure stopped after running 350 mtrs. Floss was leading and going to win. They the Club wanted to draw the two that were going to go through from this heat, Floss incidently was the favourite to win the final from memory. I kicked up merry hell and explained to the committee, I had traveled many miles for this event, and thought it grossly unfair it should be reduced to a raffle.  I managed to convince them the proper thing to do was to rerun the heat after the last race as a non tote for the advertised stake money. The connections of all runners were given the choice to rerun or pull out penalty free. Only one dog pulled out. All dogs were returned to the kennel block where they waited until the last race was run. Floss lead all the way in the rerun, and went on to run 2nd in the final to Gotta Cruise. This in my opinion is what should of happened in this instance.
They have probably hamstrung themselves by becoming to cute with their own rules, ie so many mtrs on one day  garbage. Nothing surprises anymore.
  • Like 1

Guest CrossCodes

I’m a bit confused as to the final make-up of the field?

According to the stipendiary report Dyna Dave and Bigtime Ocean were the winners in this ‘decision’ and were to advance to the final.

But looking at the field as it stands, Bigtime Ocean is number #10, and a dog that got suspended for turning its head is still in the field in Uthor Bale.

I understand the inclusion of the head turner,  in regards to the trainer no doubt pleading the case for yet another dodgy dog from this kennel attempting to reverse the decision, but why is the dog they said was going to be in the final on the ballot? 

1 hour ago, CrossCodes said:

I’m a bit confused as to the final make-up of the field?

According to the stipendiary report Dyna Dave and Bigtime Ocean were the winners in this ‘decision’ and were to advance to the final.

But looking at the field as it stands, Bigtime Ocean is number #10, and a dog that got suspended for turning its head is still in the field in Uthor Bale.

I understand the inclusion of the head turner,  in regards to the trainer no doubt pleading the case for yet another dodgy dog from this kennel attempting to reverse the decision, but why is the dog they said was going to be in the final on the ballot? 

5 winners and 3 fastest second with the other 2 seconds on the bench. Not having a time would make u the slowest 2nd I guess.

At least the stewards have a proper rule regarding this issue now instead of them all waving a magic wand like in the past or just ignore the rule. I'd say the 2 chosen probably deserve to be their. I do agree with aquaman though. Why not just rerun the race or rehold it on monday

On 25/02/2020 at 9:31 AM, aquaman said:

In 1997 I found myself in the same situation which happened at Auck on Sunday. I was in the first heat for the Silver Collar with Aqua Floss. She was the favourite in box 1. The lure stopped after running 350 mtrs. Floss was leading and going to win. They the Club wanted to draw the two that were going to go through from this heat, Floss incidently was the favourite to win the final from memory. I kicked up merry hell and explained to the committee, I had traveled many miles for this event, and thought it grossly unfair it should be reduced to a raffle.  I managed to convince them the proper thing to do was to rerun the heat after the last race as a non tote for the advertised stake money. The connections of all runners were given the choice to rerun or pull out penalty free. Only one dog pulled out. All dogs were returned to the kennel block where they waited until the last race was run. Floss lead all the way in the rerun, and went on to run 2nd in the final to Gotta Cruise. This in my opinion is what should of happened in this instance.
They have probably hamstrung themselves by becoming to cute with their own rules, ie so many mtrs on one day  garbage. Nothing surprises anymore.

Dangerous precedent when someone from HO picks the dogs. 

They should have done it by ballot, I wonder if the trainers were all consulted with when the decision  was made to throw it to Hughes or Door to choose the finalists.

• Like 1

I was watching Dogzone the other night when they were discussing this and what a croc of shit.. I have to apologize for the tone of my comments but it is difficult to sit back and watch the hosts 'kiss arsing' a certain kennel the way they did on this week's episode. Rules are rules. I am glad Uthor Bale got kicked out, failing to pursue is FAILING TO PURSUE. It might look harsh.. Regardless of going on to win by 5L. For an instance, he turned his head - you're gone. Just imagine how bad it could've been.. In regards to how they selected the runners after the abandonment of one of the heats is beyond me. I 100% agree with Aquaman. That has happened in the past many times where the heat was run after the last. This should of been the case again, how were those particular greyhounds selected over others in the field? Like racinggreys mentioned above this post, a dangerous precedent has been set! 

There is no doubt in my mind, I class Dyna Dave as probably one of the best to come across is recent times, love the dog and he is probably the most deserving greyhound in the country to notch up a Group 1 but to go about it in ways which raise eyebrows is very dangerous from a professional point of view. 

• Like 2

Enthusiast,you make some very valid points.What is the fairest way to decide which dog(s) advance into The Cup Final,especially if a rerun on the day is deemed not possible.If the non race is at least half completed,I would give most weight as to how the race was unfolding,and where dogs were positioned at time of lure being caught.Now,I never saw video of this race in question,so have no idea where Dyna Dave was sitting.However,I have spoken to Dave Fahey (who to my mind is a great judge and doesn't make false boasts),that his Opawa Dog was going on to win this heat before the lure failure.I hate the old system of drawing out of hat,totally unfair.Over 15 years ago,my dog was going to run top two and qualify for Auckland Cup,when lure stopped in home straight.Names drawn out of hat,7th and 8th favourites qualified.Needless to say they were the rank outsiders and ran accordingly.It still rankles that TAB wouldn't refund my Futures Fixed Odds Bets following a non race,where all tote bets got refunds!

Go Vegas was going to win with dyna dave getting 2nd how they put bigtime ocean as a reserve is crazy.... what about the under card it’s Auckland’s biggest meeting and can’t even put on any features part from a c1 final and a 5k 779 staying race terrible 

To me it looked like Didilee was gonna win and if not then go Vegas.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:30 AM, Devito said:

Go Vegas was going to win with dyna dave getting 2nd how they put bigtime ocean as a reserve is crazy.... what about the under card it’s Auckland’s biggest meeting and can’t even put on any features part from a c1 final and a 5k 779 staying race terrible