Bit Of A Yarn

Common Sense? NZTR Announce Initial Stakes Money

Chief Stipe

With the assistance of working groups of trainers and clubs, New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) has developed a return to racing plan which includes a flat stakes level of $15,000 for all races at 13 meetings during July.

A number of initiatives will also be introduced with the focus on reducing costs and spreading returns for owners.

They include ensuring a wider distribution of stakes to more owners, payments will be made back to 14th, no nomination/acceptance fees for those horses which start, and meetings scheduled to be held closer to the horse population.

Race programming during July only will allow for open nominations to ensure those horses wanting to race are able to gain a start. More detail regarding the racing policy can be found here. 

“We understand that this is a different approach, but NZTR recognised this as an opportunity to provide some innovation and flexibility around the payment of stakes to owners, trainers and jockeys during July,” NZTR chief executive Bernard Saundry said in a statement.

“Confirmation of RITA’s transitional funding to the codes follows discussions with codes, and industry consultation on a draft racing calendar for a resumption of racing. The distribution from RITA reflects the reduced racing over the period and the phased return to racing for each code.

“NZTR and the other codes are also working with RITA on funding and race dates for the 2020/21 season and further updates on these important issues will be provided as it comes to hand.

“This has been a testing time for all our participants, and NZTR thanks you for your patience while we have worked through this process for the resumption of racing in July.

“It was pleasing to see our horses back at the training track under alert level 3 this week and we appreciate the work of those at the coalface who are implementing the protocols at training tracks and race clubs across the country.”

13 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

Ok for one month Chief bearing in mind no stakes will have been paid out since March.

It is the big picture we need to be advised of. "What the stakes for next season will be."

And the programme. Hard to spend a lot of time and  money working horses till we know that.

1 hour ago, All The Aces said:

Ok for one month Chief bearing in mind no stakes will have been paid out since March.

It is the big picture we need to be advised of. "What the stakes for next season will be."

Exactly, its a good initiative but utterly pointless if only for one month.

4 hours ago, mardigras said:

Why can't horses be ready for a 2000m+ race - even without a jumpout?

Of course they can, but not the ones that have been in work for 4-6 weeks, thats what we are told we are potentially looking at.

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

Of course they can, but not the ones that have been in work for 4-6 weeks, thats what we are told we are potentially looking at.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying in 4 - 6 weeks (which is actually 8 weeks until scheduled racing),  a horse can be prepared to race over 1200m or 1600m, but not 2000m. 

Is that what you are saying?

33 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying in 4 - 6 weeks (which is actually 8 weeks until scheduled racing),  a horse can be prepared to race over 1200m or 1600m, but not 2000m. 

Is that what you are saying?

It's a long time ago, and we aren't all Vincent, but I remember watching Alleged win the Prix du Prince D'Orange at Longchamps, breaking the course record for 10 furlongs after being off all summer with sore shins and a virus.

Had one more start that season to win the Arc for the second time.

Don't think he had an official jumpout or trial but may have run in a couple of Derbys on the gallops at Ballydoyle.

Edited by curious
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

It's a long time ago, and we aren't all Vincent, but I remember watching Alleged win the Prix du Prince D'Orange at Longchamps, breaking the course record for 10 furlongs after being off all summer with sore shins and a virus.

Don't think he had an official jumpout or trial but may have run in a couple of Derbys on the gallops at Ballydoyle.

I see Fierement just won the Tenno Sho (G1) over 3200m in Japan. Hadn't started since December last year. I wonder how long it took to prepare him for this race. 

Won it last year fresh up also, from a prior run more than 3 months earlier.

That's 3200m - G1.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mardigras said:

I see Fierement just won the Tenno Sho (G1) over 3200m in Japan. Hadn't started since December last year. I wonder how long it took to prepare him for this race. 

Won it last year fresh up also, from a prior run more than 3 months earlier.

That's 3200m - G1.

LMAO FFS you're full of it.

You got a few youre getting ready for the races off your Japanese/Euro preps? Let me know where they are starting so I can back them.

17 hours ago, curious said:

Was that on a Heavy93 he won the Arc?

You and Mardigras train yours the way you want and leave it to others how they preapare their own.

1 minute ago, Huey said:

LMAO FFS you're full of it.

You got a few youre getting ready for the races off your Japanese/Euro preps? Let me know where they are starting so I can back them.

I'm still not understanding you. Why can't a horse race in NZ with 8 weeks prep time, first up over 2000m+. A simple answer would be good.

1 minute ago, Huey said:

You and Mardigras train yours the way you want and leave it to others how they preapare their own.

Are you saying there won't be any horses - because YOU can't train a horse for 2000m+ in 8 weeks? Just say so next time.

1 minute ago, mardigras said:

Do you mean like the horses in the UK that have their first lifetime start over 2400m+ on a heavy track? Is that what you mean?

Yeah you mean those ones that run around in 3 horse fields is that the ones you mean?

You thought there were no flat races in the UK in winter FFS youre a know it all who argues for the sake of it. 

Jumpouts will assist in getting them to the races sooner than doing your long slow prep, particularly horses that haven't raced(safety of jocks as well a horse that goes from galloping in company with another to a 14 horse field), they also have to go through the gates and get a barrier cert as well, not to mention without jumpouts plenty go to the races and don't know what they are doing. Not the ones you prepare though obviously .

17 hours ago, curious said:

Is that one horse you got in work going to the races without any trial or jumpouts, just galloping in company let me know its name so I can follow it.

7 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Are you saying there won't be any horses - because YOU can't train a horse for 2000m+ in 8 weeks? Just say so next time.

If you wanna send them to the races off 3 days work you can do that, I'm sure they'll run accordingly.

12 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Got any tips on breeding as well, I'm looking to bred a Cox Plate winner , you'll probably know what to do?

4 minutes ago, Huey said:

Yeah you mean those ones that run around in 3 horse fields is that the ones you mean?

You thought there were no flat races in the UK in winter FFS youre a know it all who argues for the sake of it. 

Jumpouts will assist in getting them to the races sooner than doing your long slow prep, particularly horses that haven't raced(safety of jocks as well a horse that goes from galloping in company with another to a 14 horse field), they also have to go through the gates and get a barrier cert as well, not to mention without jumpouts plenty go to the races and don't know what they are doing. Not the ones you prepare though obviously .

I've never said there are no flat races in winter in the UK. And I'm certainly not referring to any 3 horse races where runners have their first start in the wet over 2400m. 

I'm not arguing for the sake of it. I'm more inclined to challenge the way people think. Like you suggesting horses couldn't be ready for racing over 2000m+ in the timeframe. That's absurd.

All these thoughts based on what people have come to expect here. For no reason other than that's what they do and have always done here.

1 minute ago, Huey said:

Got any tips on breeding as well, I'm looking to bred a Cox Plate winner , you'll probably know what to do?

Nope, I'm not a breeder or a trainer. But if you are a trainer and you can't train a horse for 2000m first up, just tell us. I hope you tell your prospective clients as well.

I  tend to comment on things I know about. And leave the rest to whoever.