Bit Of A Yarn

Armalight Story

My Armalight story - Only been to Addington a few times

the first time.....and my first ever bet on a horse was Ar Miss......Addington....I would say mid January 1973...she won .....she would have been 3....the next race a 2yo race …..a first starter.....not picked by any of about 8 tipsters in The Press.....opened up on tote paying $2 to win.....led all the way ...bolted in...Young Quinn...……...an amazing night …..the last race one of those treble brackets Johnny Gee Tony Bear and one other....I think Merrin won......

Won plenty on Ar Miss and Armalight

Coincidentally my next two trips to Addington were when Armalight won on Hands Down Cup Day paying 23's (that was a big night) and then the following year when she won the Cup

I'm not really into standardbreds or standardbred breeding but I couldn't believe when I first saw Armalight.

She was huge .. a monster.....whereas I recalled Ar Miss as neat and feminine....and I couldn't quite work that out

anyway a couple of years ago I was thinking about her and ventured onto the Harness Website for the first time to have a look at her breeding record and noted she didn't produce any progeny of stakes ability

And I thought...maybe she was just so big and clumsy like......and all that speed American blood started coming in and the breed was rapidly evolving away from the traditional big standardbreds up until that time

anyway  ….what would I know ….not into the standardbreds but I do appreciate champions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Sugrue said:

My Armalight story - Only been to Addington a few times

the first time.....and my first ever bet on a horse was Ar Miss......Addington....I would say mid January 1973...she won .....she would have been 3....the next race a 2yo race …..a first starter.....not picked by any of about 8 tipsters in The Press.....opened up on tote paying $2 to win.....led all the way ...bolted in...Young Quinn...……...an amazing night …..the last race one of those treble brackets Johnny Gee Tony Bear and one other....I think Merrin won......

Won plenty on Ar Miss and Armalight

Coincidentally my next two trips to Addington were when Armalight won on Hands Down Cup Day paying 23's (that was a big night) and then the following year when she won the Cup

I'm not really into standardbreds or standardbred breeding but I couldn't believe when I first saw Armalight.

She was huge .. a monster.....whereas I recalled Ar Miss as neat and feminine....and I couldn't quite work that out

anyway a couple of years ago I was thinking about her and ventured onto the Harness Website for the first time to have a look at her breeding record and noted she didn't produce any progeny of stakes ability

And I thought...maybe she was just so big and clumsy like......and all that speed American blood started coming in and the breed was rapidly evolving away from the traditional big standardbreds up until that time

anyway  ….what would I know ….not into the standardbreds but I do appreciate champions

Nice. 
When you think of all the top mares of the 80s, Armalight, Bonnies Chance, Delightful Lady, Glen Moria, Idolmite, Hilarious Guest, plus a few others, none left anything of note. 
Think Delightful Lady could not leave foal from memory, she man?