Bit Of A Yarn

Question: Do you need to register a racing Greyhound with the local council?

It's always been my belief that greyhounds need to be registered with their local council. 

That said, I can't find anywhere where it's mandated within the GRNZ rules or policies.

As for pet or working dog, I don't have that answer in memory.

I've spotted the rule.

85. DUTIES OF PERSONS KEEPING GREYHOUNDS

85.6 A Licenced Person must at all times comply with the provisions of the Dog Control Act 1996 and the Animal Welfare Act 1999. 

That said, I don't believe you'd ever see GRNZ or the RIU investigate/enforce the rule, unless it was used as a side track for getting at an LP for some other infraction that they suspected but couldn't prove. 

Racing Greyhounds have to be registered as pets. The RIU enforce it. The stupid NZGRA missed the opportunity to combine with Federated Farmers when getting a dispensation from Government when micro chipping became mandatory. I implored the CEO at that time, Bickford from memory to join the Farmers in protest action to get exemption the same as farm dogs. Fell on deaf ears.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aquaman said:

getting a dispensation from Government when micro chipping became mandatory

I realise I'm asking some dumb questions but I'm not particularly au fait with everything Greyhound (could be a good thing!).

How are Greyhounds identified?  Thoroughbreds and Standardbreds are branded as well as DNA typed.

43 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I realise I'm asking some dumb questions but I'm not particularly au fait with everything Greyhound (could be a good thing!).

How are Greyhounds identified?  Thoroughbreds and Standardbreds are branded as well as DNA typed.

Branded in one ear and microchipped. Used to be branded in both ears and markings but I do not think markings would be needed anymore