Bit Of A Yarn

BFLF and other tipping information

9 hours ago, the galah said:

but part of the reason it has such a successful day in late november is because it has a prime date and is part of the xmas at the races promotion.

Still successful, can we not have that? More of a crowd and atmosphere than any other race day outside Cup Week. Only the Mot would match it, and probably exceed it at Xmas time.

I know you love geraldine happy,

It had good racing. 

Why can't workouts and trials still be run at this track?

Why should people run these when they can't have a day in the sun themselves? If RITA and HRNZ don't want to have a race day there then they can accept some of the (unintended) consequences. They have removed so many jobs because they can't afford them so why should they get free labour to maintain a track and run workouts from volunteers after a bullshit and unfair process.

Why can't Trotting clubs use the grass tracks at the likes of ashburton and timaru.

Ashburton is hole of a race venue and Timaru's straight, as said, narrows terribly.

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Still successful, can we not have that? More of a crowd and atmosphere than any other race day outside Cup Week. Only the Mot would match it, and probably exceed it at Xmas time.

It had good racing. 

Why should people run these when they can't have a day in the sun themselves? If RITA and HRNZ don't want to have a race day there then they can accept some of the (unintended) consequences. They have removed so many jobs because they can't afford them so why should they get free labour to maintain a track and run workouts from volunteers after a bullshit and unfair process.

Ashburton is hole of a race venue and Timaru's straight, as said, narrows terribly.

Geraldine does have 2 meetings,and there is a huge difference in the crowd size. I have just pointed out the obvious reasons for that. Personally i think waimate people supported their race meeting in greater numbers than did geraldine. Much of Geraldines crowd came from  places like Timaru.

Perhaps if someone from HRNZ could tell everyone what amount of industry funds were being saved by doing away with these once and twice a year clubs,and where those funds are to be redirected, then we may be able to make a more informed judgment call either way.

The reference to trials and workouts. i'm not sure your presumption that geraldine would not want them,or be able to run them is correct.  My comment was in relation to Mr Markham saying the methven track would not be able to cope with the extra trials and workouts.I was giving options which need to be considered.

Ashburton and timaru grass tracks are just as good as the others.Just a suggestion,but probably wouldn't fly as the gallops people at those tracks unlikely to work in with the harness clubs. I remember the days of the ashburton trots on the grass,and the huge crowds they used to get.

My other point about whether tracks like geraldine promote local participation outside of racedays i think is very relevant. The use of the geraldine track for training by some was prevented by those running it for quite some time. Maybe that had nothing to do with it,maybe it did,can't have helped. 

Edited by the galah

7 hours ago, AndrewFitzgerald said:

This Week's Show

1. In regards to the race fields section.

It seems like the older generation are held in contempt these days but is NZ not an ageing population and the only ones with money getting on in years. I think the TAB are ignoring a section of the population about 20 years too early.

Don't forget RITA are clueless and make decisions on the run. 

2. What personalities are left? Next to none. The racing itself is not marketable either. All Stars winning all the time in most group races. It is going to be just race after race, meeting after meeting......boring for even ardent followers. I see the All Stars are picked 1-2-3 and 4 in two races on Friday. How exciting is that.

3. Was Brodie a shark? The TAB want turnover so need a tip every race so are not interested in having quality tips. Quality tips will hurt the TAB. Can't have that.

On 2/07/2020 at 12:12 PM, Counter Punch said:

Cheers, Brodie. 

Just a couple of guys who have a passion for harness racing wanting to produce some content. 

We don't claim to be professionals at it and likely never will be. But we're giving it a crack and seeing where it leads. 

cheers matt markham! no one would ever accuse you of putting your pick the nose selections to paper! just the good ol guys! no shark here ! Dont bite the messenger!

On 11/07/2020 at 8:59 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

It had good racing. 

Fukin straight up! Tu Meke! now argue with that!