Bit Of A Yarn

Cole - Charges dropped !!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I've just heard from Brett at SPCA , prosecution have dropped the charges against Cole. What a long drawn out saga for ultimately nothing.

I was a witness/former worker willing to give my evidence in court, but we wont get there, and I'm gutted about that. There's many other witnesses who put themselves out there aswell, in the face of fear and intimidation who I feel for at this moment too. Brett sounded gutted aswell. Nothing much more to say, the game is fucked, the justice system is fucked...how sad too bad... SPCA asked if I'm happy for my evidence to be given to RIU..I said yeh give it to them!! They'll probably shred the evidence and give the shredded paper to Cole for his pet rabbits...???

• Champ Post 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, That Girl said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I've just heard from Brett at SPCA , prosecution have dropped the charges against Cole. What a long drawn out saga for ultimately nothing.

I was a witness/former worker willing to give my evidence in court, but we wont get there, and I'm gutted about that. There's many other witnesses who put themselves out there aswell, in the face of fear and intimidation who I feel for at this moment too. Brett sounded gutted aswell. Nothing much more to say, the game is fucked, the justice system is fucked...how sad too bad... SPCA asked if I'm happy for my evidence to be given to RIU..I said yeh give it to them!! They'll probably shred the evidence and give the shredded paper to Cole for his pet rabbits...???

You did your best kid and well done for that. Did they say why the charges were dropped? Who ultimately makes that decision? I wonder how big the "Donation" was.. I have had no time for the SPCA for sometime now and it has been many years since i said they will NEVER get another cent of my money. this vindicates my feelings. Just think ....some little old lady in Balclutha probably paid for this 2 and half year debacle when she left her house to the SPCA under the belief she was helping all the unwanted kittys and puppies.... she probably owned a white poodle that never left her side.......

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mehe said:

Way south maybe you should do more research before blaming the SPCA 

What are the facts? Interested in hearing them as spending all those resources on it just to drop the charges seems ludicrous 

Someone looking from the outside in would suggest they believed they did not have a strong enough case to prove with absolute certainty that he was live baiting. 

Edited by Jacob

8 hours ago, Mehe said:

Way south maybe you should do more research before blaming the SPCA 

I'm probably speaking out of turn here, not being a 'dog racing'  insider....but, wrt horses and other large livestock, the SPCA are effing useless.

• Like 1

Frieda  it was not the SPCA who dropped the charges they are pissed off the charges are still not going a head there was new evidence supplied and the crown law dropped the charges but there are talks about a group getting together and taking a civil case against the cheating mongrel 

Edited by Mehe
  • Champ Post 1

Once the charges are handed over to the Crown prosecutor (which they were when Cole elected a jury trial) it is up to the Crown prosecutor and not the SPCA whether they progress. If they can't be assured that the charges will be proved to the criminal evidentiary threshold of beyond a reasonable doubt then it is better that the charges are withdrawn, in my legal opinion. This means that if they can get further evidence later on, then they can lay charges again. Whereas if they prosecute and don't reach the threshold for conviction and later get more evidence, they can't try him again due to s 26(2) NZBORA.

• Champ Post 2

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/spca-drops-charges-of-livebaiting-against-greyhound-racer/ar-BB16j6PR?ocid=msedgntp

Sounds to me like the whispers I had heard that Cole had people willing to testify the animals were already dead prior to putting them on the lure arm would have been the reason charges were dropped.

That said, I EXPECT the RIU to swoop in on him now and enforce justice for the entire greyhound community and its stakeholders...

7 hours ago, Greymatter said:

Once the charges are handed over to the Crown prosecutor (which they were when Cole elected a jury trial) it is up to the Crown prosecutor and not the SPCA whether they progress. If they can't be assured that the charges will be proved to the criminal evidentiary threshold of beyond a reasonable doubt then it is better that the charges are withdrawn, in my legal opinion. This means that if they can get further evidence later on, then they can lay charges again. Whereas if they prosecute and don't reach the threshold for conviction and later get more evidence, they can't try him again due to s 26(2) NZBORA.

Correct. Cole would have been better off going to trial rather than have the charges dropped. The door remains open and as he was not acquitted, his character remains forever tarnished.

• Champ Post 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back a few years ago, the trackside announcers were stopped from using the saying "Here come the bunny (or rabbit), when the lure was sent into motion.

Not long after that time, pictures such as this one surfaced and nothing was done about it.

Really?

SUNP0120.jpg.69326e96130bfb19f335e69ea1aa4984.jpg