Bit Of A Yarn

Sugar n Spice Certainty beaten by the 200m stand!!

Brodie

Sugar n Spice drew 1 in race 5 at Addington over the proverbial 2000m stand!

It was a certainty beaten, as the starter yelled out Riight, when Sugar and Spice was standing many lengths back from its designated starting point!

It produced a massive run to hit the front and finish just out of the dividend bearing places.

If it hadve been allowed a fair start, it  wouldve won!!

Hopefully today will be the day that the Stewards announce their report  into The race 9 shambles of two weeks ago!

Should make good reading!

9 minutes ago, Brodie said:

It was a certainty beaten, as the starter yelled out Riight, when Sugar and Spice was standing many lengths back from its designated starting point!

I think the horse played a part in this one as it did not move up as requested with the others. He didn't wait for it.

By the sounds of his language, the starter has been told off as he was a lot clearer and using better instructions.

11 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Hopefully today will be the day that the Stewards announce their report  into The race 9 shambles of two weeks ago!

Has to be today.

If they don't share it then it tells you a lot about transparency. They can't say it is an employment issue so they can keep it behind closed doors surely. Would make a mockery of it all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I think the horse played a part in this one as it did not move up as requested with the others. He didn't wait for it.

By the sounds of his language, the starter has been told off as he was a lot clearer and using better instructions.

Totally agree the horse played a major part in it, however it was not given a fair start due to being out of its right position!

Ditch the stands like most tracks have, if they arent fair

11 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

But it was due to its own manners.

How many times do they wait for a single tardy runner which upsets the others. It was sugar's own fault really and I can't complain about Lamb's timing on this one.

So does this set a precedent for all future standing starts?

If horses arent ready we let them go?

One of the starters assistants was annoying it and was in front of it with his hand in front of her face!

Wasnt given a fair start if u watch the replay Happy

Assistant certainly did not think the tape was going to go

Ditch the stands altogether

Edited by Brodie

32 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

That is the debate in this case isn't it. Don't think one blames the starter as it is an issue of timing.

No siren so the stipes didn't think so nor Robbie Holmes. 

Yes it is debateable, however the starter shouldve seen that the no. 1 horse was well out of position and with his assistant hindering it from coming forward, and let them go

And yet the next stand, an experienced pacers race, he took his time and reset it when a horse was playing up?

The only consistency we get week in and out, is that we know the starter will be inconsistent!

• Like 1

Just watched my first race of the day, R8 Purdon runner #2 $1.80 favourite, leading around the turn, Time in a bottle came up and passed but Purdon just sat quietly watching, literally just looking at Time in a bottle..... his horse may have been going flat out but to not even wave the stick or reins just sat there like he was eating an ice cream.

On 23/08/2020 at 2:40 PM, Brodie said:

Sugar n Spice drew 1 in race 5 at Addington over the proverbial 2000m stand!

It produced a massive run to hit the front and finish just out of the dividend bearing places.

If it hadve been allowed a fair start, it  wouldve won!!

Should make good reading!

Red Harbour was last of bunch with a lap to go and sat three wide in the breeze and collared him so that run was massive,

A `certainy beaten`??  This tells me why you are a place punter!

Horses own fault at the start, other than that it was a good start!

2 hours ago, whiplash smile said:

Red Harbour was last of bunch with a lap to go and sat three wide in the breeze and collared him so that run was massive,

A `certainy beaten`??  This tells me why you are a place punter!

Horses own fault at the start, other than that it was a good start!

Fair enough, thing is that Sugar n Spice didnt really break, and if she hadve been in 1,  she wouldve won!

The starters assistant had plenty to do with it not going up go the tape as he was in its face with his hands!

Point is that you never know what you ate going to get with standing starts in Canterbury!

Edited by Brodie

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Fair enough, thing is that Sugar n Spice didnt really break, and if she hadve been in 1,  she wouldve won!

The starters assistant had plenty to do with it not going up go the tape as he was in its face with his hands!

Point is that you never know what you ate going to get with standing starts in Canterbury!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

My horses were given plenty of practice and at the workouts for standing starts  and also following the gate. I don't know who trained this horse? 

1 minute ago, Honestjohn said:

My horses were given plenty of practice and at the workouts for standing starts  and also following the gate. I don't know who trained this horse? 

Robbie Holmes.

Normally a good stand start horse, however it moved back before the start from no. 1, then the starter’s assistant Started playing around with it which it did not need!

Most of the time the starter would have let it come back in, but on this occassion kt was shite out of luck!

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Robbie Holmes.

Normally a good stand start horse, however it moved back before the start from no. 1, then the starter’s assistant Started playing around with it which it did not need!

Most of the time the starter would have let it come back in, but on this occassion kt was shite out of luck!

I'll go have a look.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

I would blame the guy who had its head for letting it drift back, Robbies  not the most aggressive driver either.  Maybe p lamb needs to retire.??

i dunno.? 

Sugar n Spice was shying at the starter’s assistant hand continually in its face!

And YES, the starter requires a very long spell without doubt!

I firmly believe that is if someone is not up to it anymore, there is no shame in stepping down!

Watch this space there will be a continuation of poor starts and hopefully HRNZ take the appropriate action!