Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton Park's DISTANCE COCK UP

So a couple of weeks ago the winner ZOLTAN was being investigated by the suits at RP as being a potential record holder...yea good luck with that...

Being a suspicious f'er..Chief Gobder of the Rank Integrity Uniks calls me a "train spotter"...no Mickey...it's called INTEGRITY of the Thoroughbred product ffs!

...anyway I looked at other 1100M races and discovered the Gates were IN THE WRONG PLACE!

How could they get something so vital SOOOO wrong?

Anyway human error is rife in human life...we all know that...apart from the Righteous Right led by Hoskings...

But what is totally UNFORGIVABLE in this cock up is the behaviour of NZTR and the hopeless RIU...

NZTR simply went to the official result and altered the 'OFFICIAL' distance...

...WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE!!!  Not even the RIU who should have been over this from the time...the really relly FAST TIME was posted...IGNORED IT!

STILL to this day the equally HOPELESS NZTR and RIU refuse to alert stakeholders to the F UP...

They just think it's best to avoid any EMBARRASSMENT and let stakeholders stumble over the fact the race was run @ 12/15 Lengths shorter...

Yes were all seriously busier with the bug...but that doesn't excuse producing a SIMPLE alert that a race was run at the INCORRECT DISTANCE 

FFS!!

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

So today the HOPELESS RIU have the chance to ALERT Stakeholders to the fact a race was run at the incorrect distance 2 weeks ago...

Was the Starter a new fella who didn't know wtf the 1100M peg was driven in and guessed?

WTF knows....

But today's your chance boys in suits...

Do what you're paid to do...thanks

So FINALLY...after being alerted to this post...

...the hopeless RIU decided to post a tiny addendum to yesterday's report that...

...they 'heard' a race was run 2 weeks ago at an incorrect distance...

No ALERTS on either the NZTR or RIU websites of the F UP...

Just slip it in hoping nobody notices...

What a bunch of amatuers

Well ROUNDUP is systemic and they've finally realised how f'd that is and realigned their thinking on the f in poison...

Didn't the Roundup selling man drink the stuff...or was that Dioxin's DD2?

Anyway...you there Freda?

Whats the talk around the Barrier boys there...who was responsible for the gates being positioned @15 Lengths short...

..and don't the Stipes have a man at the gates as they do in the North?

Thomass

Did you notice the very quick 1200m time posted by Gigolo George on Sat? 1:08:68 on a Dead 5.

Do you believe that a wind shift (to a tail wind) in the early afternoon and a quickly drying track explains it?

Edited by Weasel

6 hours ago, Weasel said:

Thomass

Did you notice the very quick 1200m time posted by Gigolo George on Sat? 1:08:68 on a Dead 5.

Do you believe that a wind shift (to a tail wind) in the early afternoon and a quickly drying track explains it?

Ferret...wasn't aware of a wind shift in the arvo...although the Puncecess did complain about it a few times to be fear....6L faster than the first race..sounds about right for a wind turnaround

Theres no doubt wind is now even more of an accepted factor when analysing form though...and NZ being an Island Nation has some wicked howlers

Places like Racing Victoria now realise this, and of course being Punter savvy, they've got live wind updates...Flemington at 4 areas...here some Clubs can't even  be bothered putting up a flag..

https://www.flemington.com.au/racing/track-and-weather-conditions

Edited by Thomass

11 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Places like Racing Victoria now realise this, and of course being Punter savvy, they've got live wind updates...Flemington at 4 areas...here some Clubs can't even  be bothered putting up a flag..

Can you tell us how you use this information in your punting strategy?

21 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

Can you tell us how you use this information in your punting strategy?

Being a sole trader on NZ Racing I haven't analysed it enough....

..Suffice to say it only reinforces the strategy I use when I compensate time for horses which are caught without cover for example...

..maybe if I knew the wind power for a race...that Aus Punters now have...I could compensate even more...or leaders facing a strong head wind 

I believe Formpro uses the information more when they know the wind and they're thinking about a leader investment etc.

I guess it's all relative....

if the field is down the back straight with a direct tail wind...the one without cover is still without cover...facing some type of breeze 

If we knew the wind was a direct headwind then the compensation I allow would obviously be greater...

At this stage until we get this type of accurate tabulated info it'd be interesting to view that and analyse it...until then...

12 minutes ago, Thomass said:

if the field is down the back straight with a direct tail wind...the one without cover is still without cover...facing some type of breeze 

How would a horse be facing a breeze if a wind was behind it?  Is that apparent breeze?

14 minutes ago, Thomass said:

If we knew the wind was a direct headwind then the compensation I allow would obviously be greater...

Isn't this information available from local met stations?

13 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Well 9/10 a Thoroughbred is going faster than the wind...

Not at 4 corners of the course it isn't, which after consulting with form analysts, Flemington instituted...

The Flemington website says it is only available before the races.  Doesn't mention during.

Plus wind doesn't tend to blow in 4 different directions at once.

At the end of the day it's useless information in picking out the best value runner.  

Just like trying to predict who's not going to get "cover."

27 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

The Flemington website says it is only available before the races.  Doesn't mention during.

Plus wind doesn't tend to blow in 4 different directions at once.

At the end of the day it's useless information in picking out the best value runner.  

Just like trying to predict who's not going to get "cover."

"Useless information" pfffft

Tell that to Oz form doyenne Dan O'Sullivan...he's all about 'value'...what pro isn't?

"The science, in his case, will include doing the ratings – with an emphasis on times and sectionals – for 50 meetings per week. While he concedes it’s not exact, it’s more exact than most with temperature, wind speed and rainfall (on the day) and track bias all factored in."

For mine I never look at Barrier positions as possible horse's having to race without cover...

...but certainly do when analysing post race and compensating for time lost...

I'm sorry mate but you've totally lost me...you're sounding like the Chief in drag...from Harness

Analysing A winner is just that....from that you then assess if that horse is value...

O'Sullivan may decide a vicious home straight head wind won't suit back runners for example...his speed map may indicate his runner in the trail..ready to hook out from cover..

..Meanwhile a back runner hooking out has more time into the strong wind

This is basic stuff...

Email Neil Davis and ask him about wind...

formpro@formpro.co.nz

On 31/08/2020 at 12:37 PM, Freda said:

Dunno, T...I'll try and find out. 

Any updates yet please Freda?

We need to get to the bottom of this so it doesn't happen again...

You can maybe forgive this on the Coast where everyone has overnight hangovers from a moonshine fix...like reversing the barrier possies..under the eye of Stipes

...but on the Premier Sth Island course?

Na

You know if the Sth Is. Stipes are at the start like they are in the North?