NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton track

Guest CrossCodes

Guest CrossCodes

I hate to be a negative Nancy but that track at Riccarton today looks a disgrace.

The kickback looks horrendous, and those that aren't in the first few in the running are no chance, especially with the rail out so far.

Some of our tracks in NZ are really starting to show the wear and tear and these wet conditions are showing them up even worse.

4 hours ago, mumbles said:

What do they do in the English winter with tracks like Ascot etc.

Maybe there should be a period in the NZ winter where only jumpers race.

Much as this time of year is uninspiring from a racing perspective I reckon if we stopped racing for a few months it really would struggle to ever start again. So many people, especially the stakeholders, have had a gutsful I suspect the majority would take the opportunity to drop out. I really think we are on a precipice here.

Fella's we also need a touch of realism here, many of us can't afford to spend 6 figures on a horse, therefore in all probability its rather likely to be confined to non peak season of racing in this country, winter. For as long as I can remember in NZ it rains a fair bit in winter and the drying of my lawn is rather slow, now in many parts of Eastern Aust its doesnt rain the same as it does here and they have many more drying days than we do.

Now couple that info up with us sitting back watching Metro Aussie racing (HK or Singapore) and bearing in mind fark all of those horses going around are under $20k, we have a totally different ownership/racing model, those owners have every right to see there horses going around as much as the $100k + ones in summer here in NZ.

Notwithstanding, yes we have every right to demand more money spent on tracks and surfaces to get them to a higher standard. Now I can recall in the early 90's watching racing from Riccarton, Te Rapa, Trentham & so on running in far worse conditions than seen in the last few days, today we have become a bit soft & more acclimatised to lavish Australian surfaces that for the life of us we will struggle to replicate. We can do much better agreed, but however the constant  sooking about something that has been similar for decades is rather tiring.

Edited by barryb
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, barryb said:

Fella's we also need a touch of realism here, many of us can't afford to spend 6 figures on a horse, therefore in all probability its rather likely to be confined to non peak season of racing in this country, winter. For as long as I can remember in NZ it rains a fair bit in winter and the drying of my lawn is rather slow, now in many parts of Eastern Aust its doesnt rain the same as it does here and they have many more drying days than we do.

Now couple that info up with us sitting back watching Metro Aussie racing (HK or Singapore) and bearing in mind fark all of those horses going around are under $20k, we have a totally different ownership/racing model, those owners have every right to see there horses going around as much as the $100k + ones in summer here in NZ.

Notwithstanding, yes we have every right to demand more money spent on tracks and surfaces to get them to a higher standard. Now I can recall in the early 90's watching racing from Riccarton, Te Rapa, Trentham & so on running in far worse conditions than seen in the last few days, today we have become a bit soft & more acclimatised to lavish Australian surfaces that for the life of us we will struggle to replicate. We can do much better agreed, but however the constant  sooking about something that has been similar for decades is rather tiring.

You are quite right,  I feel.

Yes,  we can and should do better,  but I can remember getting stuck in the birdcage in my gumboots years ago,  just normal for winter.

It is the comparison [ as you have said ]  that we now can see all the time,  which years ago we didn't,  that makes it all seem seedier and less glamorous.

8 hours ago, Freda said:

You are quite right,  I feel.

Yes,  we can and should do better,  but I can remember getting stuck in the birdcage in my gumboots years ago,  just normal for winter.

It is the comparison [ as you have said ]  that we now can see all the time,  which years ago we didn't,  that makes it all seem seedier and less glamorous.

remember the straw they used to cover the birdcage at Riccarton in in the depths of winter?