NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

A few thoughts on today's racing

hesi

The Baker/Forsman juggernaut rolls on, 4 winners today, daylight back to second and more daylight back to third, Michael Pitman, who on 64 wins is exactly half of the Baker/Forsman total, even though he is having a great season, and is already ahead of his best tally in 5 years with 7 weeks to run.

New York Minute, along with Art Deco, probably the best H15 horses  in NZ.  Even with that Trentham mud pie NYM, could still run 1.16.85 for 1200

Underthemoonlight, well and truly overs today.  I recall Karyn McQuade saying a couple of years ago, that even with the good heavy track stats, the horse was better on a soft track

The win by The Big Opal was the highlight of the weekend, huge effort the whole race. The run by That’s David to come back for 2nd when looking well beaten before the turn just shows what a tough horse he is, the run defied his age and the number of times he has gone around. I am so looking forward to seeing him again in the 3210mtr race at New Plymouth.

Peaceful in the 2yr old at Te Rapa looks something very special. One horse I spotted yesterday at Te Rapa that took my eye was Big Mike, what a sensational looking animal he is. 

Zanyetta streeting them at Te Rapa was the highlight for me. She only broke maidens a year ago, looks to have a nice turn of foot and tries her best.

I note a smart debutante 2yo filly at Newcastle yesterday called Smart Melody, ran 900m in 52 seconds flat and won by 5 lengths ..on a heavy track ..

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Will Snitz in time ever win  a race?   

Great win for Suliman and the syndicate I think this horse has more owners than any other in the country and we made up more than half the crowd on course!

Congratulations to you all, Ashley ..I'm not sure which BOAYers are in the syndicate but well done, everyone. Horse looks a good stayer in the making.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Will Snitz in time ever win  a race?   

Great win for Suliman and the syndicate I think this horse has more owners than any other in the country and we made up more than half the crowd on course!

I was down on the grass at the 2100 start and couldn't believe the noise you fellas were making when it crossed the line, I thought rather popular for a short priced winner. Good on you.

& yes what an incredibly pathetic crowd for such a beaut day in the sun.

3 hours ago, barryb said:

I was down on the grass at the 2100 start and couldn't believe the noise you fellas were making when it crossed the line, I thought rather popular for a short priced winner. Good on you.

& yes what an incredibly pathetic crowd for such a beaut day in the sun.

Once upon a time

There were 10,000 Barry's in NZ, keen oncourse enthusiasts, that would never miss a meeting in the region.  I used to be one of them.

What do we have now, maybe 500. 

There are a number of reasons for it Hesi, many of which are not racing’s doing or under there control.

Go to a club rugby game and see how that has dwindled to almost zero. NPC and Ranfurly Shield is dead or dying.

Fishing is another hobby in massive decline, I used to go about 20 times a year minimum, now I haven’t been in 6 months. 1) Can’t be bothered, 2) To time consuming, 3) Over fished and boring.

Golf is in terminal decline, for similar reasons, was all the rage 15 yrs ago (thanks to Tiger Woods).

I am certain that ultimately Racing is terminal, whatever decisions are made it’s a delay of the inevitable. I also think that with our stronger rural connection that we might just about out live Australia. The changing social fabric there is rapid and it will have an impact on racing.

1 hour ago, barryb said:

There are a number of reasons for it Hesi, many of which are not racing’s doing or under there control.

Go to a club rugby game and see how that has dwindled to almost zero. NPC and Ranfurly Shield is dead or dying.

Fishing is another hobby in massive decline, I used to go about 20 times a year minimum, now I haven’t been in 6 months. 1) Can’t be bothered, 2) To time consuming, 3) Over fished and boring.

Golf is in terminal decline, for similar reasons, was all the rage 15 yrs ago (thanks to Tiger Woods).

I am certain that ultimately Racing is terminal, whatever decisions are made it’s a delay of the inevitable. I also think that with our stronger rural connection that we might just about out live Australia. The changing social fabric there is rapid and it will have an impact on racing.

Sums it up pretty well.  Rugby for instance - even ten years ago an All Black test, at whatever hour of the day, was compulsory viewing.  Now if it is an early morning job we wake up and check it on Stuff to see if it is worth watching.  Whatever time of the day though I will be up to watch them boot Eddie Jones' a*"e in November like I will be watching the Melbourne Cup.

• Like 2

On 10/06/2018 at 12:19 AM, hesi said:

Underthemoonlight, well and truly overs today.  I recall Karyn McQuade saying a couple of years ago, that even with the good heavy track stats, the horse was better on a soft track

Racing: Underthemoonlight to take well-worn path to Group One target

11 Jun, 2018 5:00am
 2 minutes to read
Underthemoonlight. Photo / Race Images
Underthemoonlight. Photo / Race Images
Other

An aborted attempt at a Brisbane Group One feature will play in the favour of local race fans when classy mare Underthemoonlight heads to Tauranga in a fortnight to defend her Listed Woburn Farm Classic crown.

The underrated El Hermano mare overcame topweight of 60kgs and a handy field to score a courageous win over 1400m at Te Rapa on Saturday.

The victory has part-owner Hamish McQuade looking forward to the Tauranga challenge although thinking about what might have been with slightly better timing.

"That was a top win on Saturday as we thought she still might have been a run short and she had to give the rest of them weight as well," he said. "I guess her affinity with Te Rapa played in her favour and the fact is that she is a pretty classy mare. She can be underrated at times and people do want to pigeonhole her as a wet-tracker, but she really goes best when there is just some cut in the ground.

"We had wanted her to run a week earlier as we did have plans to take her to Brisbane for the Tatts Tiara, but the timing just didn't work out.

"She will go to Tauranga in a fortnight for the fillies and mares race that she won last year and then have a wee break," said McQuade.

"We will bring her back for the Foxbridge Plate at Te Rapa, a race she also won last year, and then on to the [G1] Tarzino Trophy at Hastings.

- NZ Racing Desk