NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Same old, same old yet again

Whakatane Meeting on Wednesday Abandoned
13 Jun
Due to extremely heavy rain, surface water on the track and further rain predicted for today and tomorrow the meeting scheduled for Te Teko on Wednesday 13 June has been abandoned. NZTR, together with the club and New Zealand Racing Board are looking to find an alternative date to run this meeting.

Hi `yarners - been busy with the nose to the grindstone (to support the ponies - who are with child you know ?) - so didn't see the timing of the announcement.

But hopefully in good time so at least people didn't have to travel their horses only to cop a wash-out - something to be a little thankful for at least.  Best of luck to all for the reserve date.

J. 

20 minutes ago, jess said:

Hi `yarners - been busy with the nose to the grindstone (to support the ponies - who are with child you know ?) - so didn't see the timing of the announcement.

But hopefully in good time so at least people didn't have to travel their horses only to cop a wash-out - something to be a little thankful for at least.  Best of luck to all for the reserve date.

J. 

Hi Jess, the reserve date is for this Friday..so i heard

Greetings Hedley and Kakama ....yes indeed!  Don't have any that I've bred racing there but have connections with one further south this week so wish us luck ...  

Yep quite wet many places for June ... it can be quite a dry month some years but not 2018 it seems ...

All the best, J

• Like 1

Just a point here, they race in places like Shatin, that is in the monsoon belt and gets many many times more rainfall than NZ(West Coast excluded, no disrespect Reefton), because they have an all weather track, Strathayr to be exact..................and Shatin is built on reclaimed land

26 minutes ago, hesi said:

Just a point here, they race in places like Shatin, that is in the monsoon belt and gets many many times more rainfall than NZ(West Coast excluded, no disrespect Reefton), because they have an all weather track, Strathayr to be exact..................and Shatin is built on reclaimed land

Do they race during the Monsoon?

I recall, and as long as my memory is not affected by alcohol or glory, that I looked up the rainfall data and racing dates for Hong Kong(Shatin) once, and while their season stops before the monsoons come, it is still a lot of rain during the racing season

6 minutes ago, hesi said:

I recall, and as long as my memory is not affected by alcohol or glory, that I looked up the rainfall data and racing dates for Hong Kong(Shatin) once, and while their season stops before the monsoons come, it is still a lot of rain during the racing season

How many mm's?

1 hour ago, jess said:

Greetings Hedley and Kakama ....yes indeed!  Don't have any that I've bred racing there but have connections with one further south this week so wish us luck ...  

Yep quite wet many places for June ... it can be quite a dry month some years but not 2018 it seems ...

All the best, J

Greetings to you too jess....

Now heres what we do.....why not experiment with 100s truckloads of sand on a couple of our worst tracks? Then we can mirror ruakaka around nz.....come on.....put your hands up to be a driver....

11 minutes ago, Kakama said:

Now heres what we do.....why not experiment with 100s truckloads of sand on a couple of our worst tracks? Then we can mirror ruakaka around nz.....come on.....put your hands up to be a driver....

Won't be allowed because our horses and jockeys don't like sand in their faces.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

No the point is that many people believe that the Strathayr track is the magic exlir.  The reality is that a Strathayr track has limitations and don't forget that there are two in Hong Kong as well as dirt tracks.

What is the horse population in HK?

Hong Kong season is from Sept to mid July

SUMMARY OF FIXTURES 2017-2018

Shatin 45 Day meetings 5 Night

Happy Valley 1 day 37 night

From HK Observatory, Rainfall data for 2017(mm)

Jan - 8

Feb - 20

Mar - 48

Apr - 59

May - 399

June - 656

July - 570

Aug - 489

Sept - 192

Oct - 100

Nov - 31

Dec - trace

From that you can see they are racing in May/June/July, months with heavy rainfall

Edited by hesi

19 minutes ago, Kakama said:

Haven’t they just done that atTe Rapa?

Come in friends of Te Rapa and tell us otherwise or tell us how it has worked out.

Greetings all ...I have it on good authority that Ruakaka is in top nick for Saturday, Dead 5 posted as of this morning; only a skittery shower or two in the last 24hrs and none predicted til Sunday. Could be a Dead 4 at the weekend ...word is they will split a maiden 1400m race (over 40 noms) into two races and have 10 on the card in total. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hesi said:

Hong Kong season is from Sept to mid July

SUMMARY OF FIXTURES 2017-2018

Shatin 45 Day meetings 5 Night

Happy Valley 1 day 37 night

From HK Observatory, Rainfall data for 2017(mm)

Jan - 8

Feb - 20

Mar - 48

Apr - 59

May - 399

June - 656

July - 570

Aug - 489

Sept - 192

Oct - 100

Nov - 31

Dec - trace

From that you can see they are racing in May/June/July, months with heavy rainfall

Ok let's look at July.  5 meetings - 3 at Shatin 2 at Happy Valley.  Nothing in August.

26 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Greetings all ...I have it on good authority that Ruakaka is in top nick for Saturday, Dead 5 posted as of this morning; only a skittery shower or two in the last 24hrs and none predicted til Sunday. Could be a Dead 4 at the weekend ...word is they will split a maiden 1400m race (over 40 noms) into two races and have 10 on the card in total. 

I know some don’t like ruakaka, but  one track in nz I have confidence in with track - conditions etc 

Yes but the temperature is consistently the highest as are the sunshine hours during June.  The air temperature is in the 30's as is the soil temperature.

An average of 11 days during the month are rain free.

I'm not sure what weather station you are using but the main HK observatory has less rainfall than what you state.  Granted it still rains a lot during the rainy season but then Hong Kong adjusts it racing calendar to suit.

They don't race from 16 July to the first weekend in September.  In July there are only seven racing meetings shared between Shatin and Happy Valley.

21 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

They don't race from 16 July to the first weekend in September.  In July there are only seven racing meetings shared between Shatin and Happy Valley.

But to give credit, they still race on their various surfaces 3 - 4 times and how many tracks in NZ in winter can achieve that?