Bit Of A Yarn

Is this The "Beginning of the End"?

Clarkie

53 minutes ago, Jacob said:

I dont think there is a sustainable number under the current model racing operates under in NZ.

> We do need to lower the dog numbers 

> We need to allow a more even distribution of dogs breed

> We also need to raise how many dogs can be re-homed 

The chief has asked valid questions, Jacob. I hear the same criticism of breeding time again. I agree that breeding needs to be reassessed. How many, how long, and who by questions need to be answered.

The starting point is, how many dogs are being bred currently?
How many are currently being imported?
What are the numbers lost around birth,to disease, illness, age, accident, etc?
What is the current adoption rate?
How many are being retained for breeding?
How many are retired to the trainer/owners property?
How many are onsold to other trainers?
Only after answering every question can you start to calculate an optimum number.
So you reduce the numbers bred by 200 yearly, can you sustain the current levels of racing?
If not what does the new target look like? How many race meetings can be sustained on the new numbers?
Can you meet all overhead obligations, including the cost of rehoming?
The easiest way to reduce levels is to cap the number dogs that a trainer can race per year.

If you analyse the trainer premiership, it looks like this:
4 trainers have raced more than 50 dogs.
19 trainers between 20 to 50 dogs.
20 trainers 10 to 20 dogs.
83 trainers 10 dogs or less.

• Like 2

Race #5 coming up today at Addington I find rather interesting.

image.png.840b6fac5a9dae8706126454eb9c3214.png

A dog from a GRNZ board member kennel opening up @ $15 fixed odds & got slammed in to $2.70 currently.

The NZ derby heat winner should have never have opened up at $15 in a C2 race.

Who's looking after who?

I sure hope the RIU betting analysis is all over this one!

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Haha 1

On 11/03/2021 at 12:48 PM, Chief Stipe said:

But what is the number?  If you are going to "live within your means" does that mean Hughes will be paid appropriately less?  If the key metric is to only race those that can be rehomed what is that number?  Are you willing to accept that number?

BTW you still eat meat and drink milk but no one "retires" a dairy cow!

Very good question.... then next question would be what is the number we have now ? And have we gone over or under the number acceptable? I see races in the far north with only 8 races cards . CD at times the same .... next question I think people would need facts for this because people’s ideas have been blurred, how many pups are born that make it to the track .. compared big trainers to small trainers. I want facts numbers. Many questions to be answered but start from the beginning. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, Yankiwi said:

The plot thickens. This is really starting to stink.

Why was its "stand-down rescinded" at last night Addington's race meet?

https://www.grnz.co.nz/catch-the-action/14425/stewards-report.aspx

image.thumb.png.659afde5d93a73193c6a1cbc7294ea46.png

How was a precautionary 5day stand down for a fall rescinded. I wonder why it was rescinded? It really shows who’s looked after in the game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mighty5 said:

How was a precautionary 5day stand down for a fall rescinded. I wonder why it was rescinded? It really shows who’s looked after in the game.

Clearly to do was fit to race . I see no problem in it . It’s a 5 day stand down if it falls. Vet checked and cleared after the race and then again the day before the race then again on the day of the race . Do you see a problem? If so please tell . 

On 3/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, Honestly said:

Clearly to do was fit to race . I see no problem in it . It’s a 5 day stand down if it falls. Vet checked and cleared after the race and then again the day before the race then again on the day of the race . Do you see a problem? If so please tell . 

It’s a  precautionary stand down which all dogs receive that fall. The rule was only implemented recently. So now if a dog that falls is checked again and fit to race then the stand down gets rescinded?

18 hours ago, Mighty5 said:

It’s a  precautionary stand down which all dogs receive that fall. The rule was only implemented recently. So now if a dog that falls is checked again and fit to race then the stand down gets rescinded?

Quiet right, it was brought in to give dogs a chance to recover after a fall whether they were injured or not. Already being abused and used by the privileged and interpreted by the useless RIU.

Honesty is arguing from the stance of a self serving trainer located somewhere near Homebush.

• Champ Post 1

What I don't get about the decision is this.

13. The Oxford English Dictionary defines negligent as “failure to take proper care over something”. Does this apply to Mr Death? He notified Mr Cole about the dog in Race 9 and surely by implication Mr Cole should have been aware of the position concerning NANGAR RIDGE. It should be remembered that this all happened on the day before the meeting and Mr Cole should accept some responsibility in regard to NANGAR RIDGE. It could be argued that Mr Cole contributed to any negligence that arises out of this situation.

There is no burden on a trainer (or handler in this case) to ask about or assume anything in regards to any reserve dog gaining entry in to a field due to a scratching. I believe that statement is very out of line coming from the JCA. The ONLY responsibility for filing the field by utilizing reserve dogs lies with Mr Death in this case.

Edited by Yankiwi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...