Bit Of A Yarn

Red Fox Tavern --- finally.

The Centaur

Good to see justice at work.

I believe the criminals took racing very much into consideration when committing the horrific crime.

The Red Fox with TAB was a popular watering hole for many racegoers travelling Auckland to Waikato or Bay of Plenty. Labour day weekend Saturday 1987 was Cox Plate day a year after the Waverley Star/Boncrusher epic. However there was huge NZ interest with Poetic Prince and Tidal Light not to mention public favourites like Vo Rogue. Rubiton won the race. There were also races at Ellerslie and Trentham and given the timing of the Cox Plate punters back in 1987 would place bets during the day and collect after the day.

Therefore the crims knew there would be a lot of cash available. 

In the 80's there were gangs from the Waikato who figured out an easy scheme. They would go up and down the country sniffing out pub bookies quite often in quiet easy going places like RSA's or Cozi clubs. They would go up to the bookie with say $30 and a list of bets during the day. The bookie would place the list in his pocket then half way during the day the punter would ask for the list on the excuse couldn't remember the bets. Placing the list in full view of the bookie in the Best bets the punter would flip the page and lo and behold a new list would emerge and given back to the bookie. Most bookies never suspected a thing.

Its just a hunch but it wouldn't surprise these Red Fox culprits had some links to these scammers.

Spot on mate. I can recall going into that pub for a quick beer a number times before this murder took place. Hope the bastards die in prison..however no doubt the lawyers and QC's will  want to keep the gravy train ticking over so as soon as they're sentenced ( has to be life ) wait for the appeals..and on and on...$$$$$$

2 hours ago, Horace said:

Spot on mate. I can recall going into that pub for a quick beer a number times before this murder took place. Hope the bastards die in prison..however no doubt the lawyers and QC's will  want to keep the gravy train ticking over so as soon as they're sentenced ( has to be life ) wait for the appeals..and on and on...$$$$$$

A few TABs robbed over the years. Probably get more cash robbing a Bunnings Sausage Sizzle nowadays.

One thing that does surprise me, I can not recall a racecourse getting robbed. 
Going back a few years, no ctv cameras etc, you would have thought it was an easier option.

14 hours ago, Newmarket said:

A few TABs robbed over the years. Probably get more cash robbing a Bunnings Sausage Sizzle nowadays.

Going back a few years, no ctv cameras etc, you would have thought it was an easier option.

Been a few cases of counterfeit money but yes maybe the real crims went to Australia for training.

On 31/03/2021 at 11:16 AM, aquaman said:

The dogs at QE11 were robbed at gunpoint about 1989. Got away with the entire TAB hold oncourse. Never caught.

Wow, dont remember that. Around that time a few tabs were burgled, I know the old Aranui tab was, seemed a bit suspicious to be honest

13 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Wow, dont remember that. Around that time a few tabs were burgled, I know the old Aranui tab was, seemed a bit suspicious to be honest

was that tab amongst a few shops on the on the corner of pages and breezes, pretty much where the carpark for the chemist is now ?

On 30/03/2021 at 9:34 PM, Newmarket said:

One year at Thames races  this was a strong suspicion that the races were going to be done over by two prison escapers. Cops everywhere and even the  Race Course Inspector was armed. Probably as close as it has come in regard to a tote robbery.

12 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Yes and in those days the TAB hold was considerable. Being oncourse only, tote turnover was about $40,000. The tote bus was always parked at the Nth end off the grandstand where it was quiet dark from memory. In retrospect, it was money for jam.