Bit Of A Yarn

When we need a V'Landys we get the Same Old Same Old!!!

Chief Stipe

New chair of interim TAB NZ Board appointed

14 April 2021

Racing Minister Grant Robertson has announced he is appointing Elizabeth Dawson (Liz) as the Chair of the interim TAB NZ Board.

Liz Dawson is an existing Board Director of the interim TAB NZ Board and Chair of the TAB NZ Board Selection Panel and will continue in her role as Chair of the selection panel to see through the recommendations to the Minister.

The Interim Board is responsible for the governance of TAB New Zealand until the substantive Board of Directors of TAB NZ is appointed. 

Ms Dawson replaces Dean McKenzie, who is taking up the role of Chief Transition Officer for the TAB.

He will lead the transition of the organisation to implement the reforms of The Racing Industry Act 2020, until the incoming TAB NZ Board is appointed and are able to recruit a permanent Chief Executive.

Liz Dawson brings considerable executive and governance experience in companies that are listed on the ASX and NZX.

She is a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit and was appointed to the Racing Industry Transition Agency in July 2019. She also has experience in private, community and statutory organisations, including in sports governance roles.

“I want to thank Liz for stepping into this role, and indeed Dean for taking on the CTO role.

“It is important that we have stability as we undertake a thorough process to appoint a high quality permanent board for the TAB,” Grant Robertson said.

Last month the Minister expanded the search for nominations for the permanent TAB Board. That process is expected to take a number of months to finalise.

YAWN , wake me when they do something serious that will impact racing in a positive way . It's like these suits are all sitting on a " lazy susan turntable " and just taking turns hopping on and off , never landing on the same position . 

Maybe Monopoly would be a better board for the , where all squares say " go directly to jail , do not collect Fuck all .

• Like 2

New management role for McKenzie

14 April 2021
157590627_2.jpg

The TAB New Zealand (TAB NZ) Board have appointed Dean McKenzie as Chief Transition Officer, a full time management role leading the organisation’s day to day responsibilities and ensuring a smooth transition to a permanent Board once they are appointed. 

The selection follows the announcement earlier today by the Minister for Racing, Hon Grant Robertson of the appointment of Liz Dawson as Interim Chair of TAB NZ, replacing McKenzie who has  stepped down from his prior role as Chair to take on the new position. 

Chair of the interim TAB NZ Board, Liz Dawson said the TAB needed surety and consistency through this critical phase of the business as it transitioned to its new focus following the passing of the Racing Industry Act last year.

“By the end of this year the TAB will need to have supported the finalisation of racing reforms, developed a five-year strategy and a Statement of Intent, and ensured a smooth transition to a new, permanent Board once they are appointed. The Board recognises this ambitious programme of work, on top of leading day to day business, requires immediate focus and we’re delighted Dean has agreed to take on this responsibility, said Ms Dawson.

“For various reasons the appointment of a new Board has taken a bit longer than anticipated, so provide surety to the business, its staff and racing and sport stakeholders, we’ve acted now to appoint Dean until a permanent CE is appointed by a new Board.”

Chief Transition Officer, Dean McKenzie said he was pleased to commit to the business as it transitions to a more commercial, customer-focused business.

“I’m looking forward to focusing on managing the business through this period of change and delivering on our immediate objectives while ensuring a smooth transition to a new Board and Chief Executive when it happens, said McKenzie.

“From a day to day perspective, I don’t anticipate much change to our activities but I am looking forward to having a more hands-on role and working with the current leadership team to deliver great betting products for our customers and maximise profit for racing and revenue for sport.”

59 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

New management role for McKenzie

14 April 2021
157590627_2.jpg

The TAB New Zealand (TAB NZ) Board have appointed Dean McKenzie as Chief Transition Officer, a full time management role leading the organisation’s day to day responsibilities and ensuring a smooth transition to a permanent Board once they are appointed. 

The selection follows the announcement earlier today by the Minister for Racing, Hon Grant Robertson of the appointment of Liz Dawson as Interim Chair of TAB NZ, replacing McKenzie who has  stepped down from his prior role as Chair to take on the new position. 

Chair of the interim TAB NZ Board, Liz Dawson said the TAB needed surety and consistency through this critical phase of the business as it transitioned to its new focus following the passing of the Racing Industry Act last year.

“By the end of this year the TAB will need to have supported the finalisation of racing reforms, developed a five-year strategy and a Statement of Intent, and ensured a smooth transition to a new, permanent Board once they are appointed. The Board recognises this ambitious programme of work, on top of leading day to day business, requires immediate focus and we’re delighted Dean has agreed to take on this responsibility, said Ms Dawson.

“For various reasons the appointment of a new Board has taken a bit longer than anticipated, so provide surety to the business, its staff and racing and sport stakeholders, we’ve acted now to appoint Dean until a permanent CE is appointed by a new Board.”

Chief Transition Officer, Dean McKenzie said he was pleased to commit to the business as it transitions to a more commercial, customer-focused business.

“I’m looking forward to focusing on managing the business through this period of change and delivering on our immediate objectives while ensuring a smooth transition to a new Board and Chief Executive when it happens, said McKenzie.

“From a day to day perspective, I don’t anticipate much change to our activities but I am looking forward to having a more hands-on role and working with the current leadership team to deliver great betting products for our customers and maximise profit for racing and revenue for sport.”

Chair resigns gets the new Chair to appoint him to a (well paid I'm sure) management role? Corruption, malpractice anyone?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, nomates said:

Is the pool of top management that thin in NZ , or do they just not bother looking outside their little circle . It's just incestuous .

I think you have it in one.     I have little knowledge or experience of recruiting management personnel....but there does seem to be an inability to get it right.  Repeatedly.   There has been talent that has gone offshore, possibly for better money ?  but, surely, if due recognition had been given to those people, we might have had better results.   

Go right back to Ian McKewen,  look what Moonee Valley achieved under his stewardship.  There are others, one very able administrator [ Andrew someone ] now in the Northern part of Aus,  he would have been brilliant from what I understand..but wasn't wanted.

• Like 2