Bit Of A Yarn

What a race the 2021 Queen Elizabeth is shaping up to be!

Chief Stipe

Is the Queen Elizabeth really a two-horse race?
Questions: Does Verry Elleegant really want a good track? Could Mugatoo spoil the Queen Elizabeth party? Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images.
THE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Is the Queen Elizabeth really a two-horse race?

Clinton Payne
Article Author

Clinton Payne

Respected form student Adam Blencowe is questioning the basis of why punters think Verry Elleegant has a clear edge over Addeybb in Saturday’s $4 million Group 1 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) at Randwick.

The Timeform Australia handicapper believes the race shapes as an intriguing contest of tactics and he doesn’t concede to the opinion of many that there are only two winning chances.

The TAB Fixed Odds market has Verry Elleegant as the $2.40 favourite after she opened at $2.60 while Addeybb has eased from $2.80 to $3.10. Tancred Stakes winner Sir Dragonet is solid at $6.50 while Mugatoo has eased from $7 to $7.50.

“I always get sceptical as soon as things start being drawn up as too obvious,” Blencowe said. “There are so many variables here which make for an interesting watch.”

Verry Elleegant made it eight Group 1 victories when defeating Addeybb for the first time in three clashes in the Ranvet Stakes on a soft (7) rated track at Rosehill in the Ranvet Stakes.

Sydney Racing: Golden Slipper Day

Verry Elleegant defeats Addeybb in the Ranvet Stakes last month. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images.

Saturday’s racing surface is expected to be a good (4).

“All of a sudden the good track is the ace up Verry Elleegant’s sleeve?,” Blencowe said.

“I reckon six months ago we got four-to-one ($5) about her to run down Toffee Tongue and Finche in a Turnbull on a good track. And she only just did it.

“Finche was a similar price ($5.50) to her that day and it was all because it was a good track.

“Now they want to tell me that the good track is the ace up her sleeve. I’m not so sure about that.

“She’s awesome, I love her but I’ve seen better chances to back her than this week.”

Blencowe said punters should take note of the Ranvet and Queen Elizabeth margins between Addeybb and Verry Elleegant from 2020. In the Ranvet there was half-a-length separating the two and that margin increased to 2-3/4 lengths in the Queen Elizabeth.

Blencowe made the point of stating Verry Elleegant has never gone better but with variables at play – “tactics, fitness and ground” – could the market have overreacted?

“The market has now decided this is lopsided because of the ground and Addeybb needs soft ground and as I’ve said in the past we try to fit horses into narrow boxes and I’m not convinced he can’t go on good ground,” he said.

Canterbury Park Trackwork Session

Addeybb continues his preparations for the Queen Elizabeth at Canterbury this week. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images.

“He can’t be any more disadvantaged than her on good ground other than her top speed is probably superior to his.

“Marquand is going to have the chance for this to be on his terms.

“If he wants to make it not about speed and he wants to make it about sustaining speed, he can and will do that.

“If Marquand goes out there and makes this about a sustained test, then that could bring Sir Dragonet into the race.

“I’ve been pretty dismissive of him in the past and I am somewhat again on Saturday but if he’s to figure, that’s how it will have to happen.

“He obviously won the Tancred very well but was that a Group 1 weight-for-age race or did he beat She’s Ideel?”

Randwick Trackwork Session

Sir Dragonet has a look around at Randwick on Tuesday. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images.

The fourth wheel of the Queen Elizabeth Stakes contenders is the All-Star Mile winner Mugatoo – the horse that Blencowe said the market has been somewhat dismissive of.

“I think Mugatoo is the one horse that represents overs in the current marketplace,” he said. “They were disappointed in his Doncaster run but I didn’t think it was too bad at all.

“The shape of the Doncaster and the way the race was run looks to me to be the dream race to back-up off.

“I think this horse is poised to run the race on Saturday that everyone expected last week. He comes here off a lethal platform last week.”

Blencowe said Verry Elleegant and Addeybb are deserving favourites and the horses to beat but he also believes punters shouldn’t be too dismissive off the next two in betting.

“The top two look the top two but I’m not so sure the good track is the ace for Verry Elleegant,” he said.

“Go back to the Turnbull again.

“Mugatoo would kick the snot out of Toffee Tongue and Finche on a good track over this trip so maybe he’s the way to play – worth thinking about it if nothing else.

“Find me a head-to-head market for Sir Dragonet and Mugatoo and there’s a bet for me – evens or better Mugatoo.”

ALL-STAR MILE

Mugatoo could be the surprise packet in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes on Saturday. Photo: George Salpigtidis/Racing Photos via Getty Images)

Time to shine for Verry Elleegant at The Championships
James McDonald and Verry Elleegant during trackwork at Rosehill on Thurdsay morning. Photo by Mark Evans/Getty Images
HORSES

Time to shine for Verry Elleegant at The Championships

Article Author

The sunrise was spectacular, the sky with various shades of orange, pink, red and purple, as it shined some light on Verry Elleegant as she strutted her stuff at early morning trackwork.

This was the mare’s final serious gallop ahead of the $4 million Longines Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) at Royal Randwick tomorrow.

These Thursday morning pre-race media calls at Rosehill trackwork were once a regular occurrence for Verry Elleegant’s trainer Chris Waller when his all-time great mare Winx was dominating Australian racing.

It was two years ago this week when Winx ran her last race, scoring her 33rd consecutive win in the $4 million Longines Queen Elizabeth Stakes before more than 43,000 fans at Royal Randwick.

Winx retired, then there was a global pandemic, and those media calls were a thing of the past – until yesterday.

Verry Elleegant, Waller’s latest superstar mare, is no Winx but she is doing a good job of filling the void.

It says a lot about how far Verry Elleegant has come this season that she is now commanding her own media call.

“Verry Elleegant is an amazing horse,’’ Waller said.

“Because she has been racing over so many seasons now, she did it (Group 1 winner) as a three-year-old, four-year-old and now as a five-year-old, I certainly have a soft spot for her and she is creating her own following.’’

Rosehill Trackwork Session

The clock ticks over 6am as Verry Elleegant goes through her paces under James McDonald. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images

Where Winx would toy with her opposition and often win by big margins, Verry Elleegant has to fight hard to beat her rivals. She is racing’s “blue-collar champ”, earning the admiration and respect of punters because of her sheer determination and fierce will-to-win.

“Verry Elleegant showed those fighting qualities earlier this campaign in the Chipping Norton Stakes at Randwick over the mile when she looked beaten in the straight,’’ Waller said.

“Wow, how she fought that day! Then last start (Ranvet Stakes) to turn the tables on Addeybb – she is getting a lot of recognition for that.’’

Waller was speaking on the eve of Verry Elleegant’s much anticipated rematch with Addeybb in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes.

Addeybb has a 2-1 advantage in head-to-head clashes with Verry Elleegant but the mare’s last start defeat of the English raider in the Ranvet Stakes is enough to ensure she will start favourite for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes tomorrow.

“Their rivalry is fantastic for racing,’’ Waller said.

“What we have seen over recent years with the likes of Winx and Black Caviar in particular the great horses do bring people to the track.

“There is an amazing vibe around the racecourses at the moment post-Covid and they are really enjoying racing.

“So, having the big names, Verry Elleegant and Addeybb, in the one race plus obviously Sir Dragonet and Mugatoo, that is what people want to watch.

“It is building towards a great Grand Final and we have a very talented horse in Verry Elleegant, she is the right horse to talk up.’’

Verry Elleegant goes to the Queen Elizabeth Stakes after successive Group 1 wins in the Chipping Norton Stakes and Ranvet Stakes.

She has now won five Group 1 races for the season after her spring carnival successes in the Winx Stakes, Turnbull Stakes and Caulfield Cup.

Verry Elleegant is in career-best form but still Waller has made a significant change to the mare’s autumn campaign to give her every opportunity to exact revenge for her second placing behind Addeybb in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes last year.

Waller admitted when Addeybb defeated Verry Elleegant in the Ranvet Stakes last year, he decided to back up with the mare in the Tancred Stakes over 2400m a week later.

“We thought we had better try and win some prizemoney and a Group 1 along the way so she went to the Tancred Stakes and duly won that,’’ he said.

“She then came back to run over 2000m for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes which wasn’t ideal. We released James McDonald (he rode third placegetter Danon Premium) as we didn’t think she would be as effective but she ran second to Addeybb.

“This year I thought we would keep some speed in her (legs) – that would be the key.

“She goes into the Queen Elizabeth with three weeks between runs and she had four weeks between runs into the Ranvet Stakes.

“I think that is close to perfect with her, she is ready to go.’’

Waller also believes Verry Elleegant is better equipped physically and mentally to take on Addeybb, Sir Dragonet, Mugatoo and others tomorrow.

Verry Elleegant is now a rising six-year-old mare, lining up for her 29th start having already won 13 races, eight at Group 1 level, earning more than $7.8 million prizemoney.

She was once considered erratic and headstrong, a difficult ride, and a dour stayer but this season she has been versatile enough to win at Group 1 level over 1400m at weight-for-age and over 2400m under handicap conditions.

“She was a supreme stayer but she is very versatile now,’’ Waller said.

“It is no surprise to me she has continued to get better as she has matured.

“She was a very lightly-framed filly but as an older, more mature mare, she has really strengthened up and has a thicker frame which has given her that power. As a result she is racing so consistently.’’

Addeybb won the Queen Elizabeth Stakes last year on a heavy track but the expected good track surface tomorrow is to Verry Elleegant’s advantage.

But the scratching of Samadoubt has taken some of the speed out of the race so Addeybb might be able to lead and dictate terms tomorrow.

Rosehill Trackwork Session

Chris Waller speaks to the media at Rosehill trackwork. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images

“With Verry Elleegant, the beauty of her is she is very adaptable,’’ Waller said.

“She has run very quick times and won Group 1 races on good surfaces and she has won on very wet tracks, so it (track rating) certainly won’t worry her.

“I haven’t worried too much about the tactics of the race just yet but fortunately we have a good draw (barrier four).

“Last start, I was a little concerned when she drew barrier one in the Ranvet Stakes that she might get bottled up and have trouble getting out but she is a changed horse in my eyes, she settles well now.

“I expect there to be fair speed on and as we saw last start, she has a great turn of foot. She also has staying powers as well winning a Caulfield Cup with a pretty big weight for a mare so she can run a tough 2400m.

“Whether they go fast or slow we have the right horse to adapt to the conditions of the race.’’

A cloudless blue sky and blazing sun replaced the colourful hue over Rosehill racecourse as Waller ended the media call, content that he can’t have Verry Elleegant any better for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes where victory should be the sealer for Horse of the Year honours.

“Verry Elleegant has had a faultless preparation and she had a nice gallop this morning on the course proper without doing too much,’’ Waller said.

“To my eyes she has done enough already (to secure Horse of the Year) as she is a multiple Group 1 winner over all distances, weight-for-age and handicap conditions,

“But there is one race to go and it would be a big help if we could win it.’’ 

17 minutes ago, Huey said:

How will the sprinter go in Aus, most intriguing.

Got an amazing turn of foot , that's what you need against the Aussies . Gonna be a great watch this arvo  strap yourselfs in . 

I see Te Rapa slow 8 and showery , the G1 opens up a bit , starting to like Covetina Bay with the way the track is going . 

Sydney and 2 pretty good NZ meetings , as good as it has been for a little while .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

These are the days, Saturdays that no radio is a pain,i will be out later so will miss some of the main races,technology is brilliant but not the be all and end all and not always a option, we dont always have time to ef around with smartphones.

Just to add,watching video , as in races on ya smartphone burns up your data and your battery, to say you can watch and listen free is a load of crap,buying data all the time adds up too,the simulcast the tab have on the rova app is better than nothing but not much.

You have ya internet at home then ya cost for pay tv and your phone charges, it all adds up.

Edited by mikeynz