Bit Of A Yarn

Vic Rail and the Hendra virus

6 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Interesting documentary this morning on BBC and Vic Rail. Some evidence that research into Hendra played a part researching into COVID19. Vic offcourse trained Vo Rogue. Plenty background into the tragic story on the internet. e.g. https://www.csiro.au/en/research/animals/livestock/hendra

G'Day Centaur , a frightening prospect that the virus carried by the flying foxes , could/ would mutate to transfer straight to humans , rather than go through horses first, after they shit in their feedbins.

In 1994 , I was at UQ vet and a heap of dead horse turned up for autopsy and we were locked up for 3 days , just like the current Covid crisis does in Brisbane every now and then ( just in case) we didn't know what was killing them originally, but WOW , killa horse? imagine a weak human in comparison?

Just In Case a huge epidemic from those filthy flying foxes (a million fly over Brissy every night) spread a killer disease to humans . 7 people died including Vic Rail. It took them many years to develop the horse vaccine. Too bad about the humans lol.... that was so close to being a covid like apocalypse though. very scary indeed. 

• Like 3

A bit away from the headpost - and please correct me if I am wrong - but I think both Hendra and Ebola viruses are ' haemorrhagic' viruses....I recently watched a very interesting doco about the Black Death in the middle ages.    This awful infection has been long assumed to be Bubonic Plague, but the researchers showed clearly that there were significant points of difference between the ' black death' and the later outbreaks of plague [ bacterial ], not the least being the differing populations  of the black  and brown rat at specific times.

It did seem as if the black death may have been caused by a virus similar in its effects to the Hendra and Ebola ones.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

The Aussie's just loved Vo Rogue. In some of these races he led by 20 lengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59ofp_9KBM

What a great Queenslander !! lol....Funnily enough with his daring solo runs ahead of the field 2 of his AUSTRALIA CUP run's standout. (Australia Cup quite prestigious)

The huge upset by 125-1 outsider of the field DANDY ANDY running him down in 1988, BUT the Rogue is not to be denied lol....

The 1990 AUSTRALIA CUP ,  (VO ROGUE) held on to win against Two champions of the time in BETTER LOOSEN UP (a Japan Cup winner in his day) and SUPER IMPOSE 3rd. What a great mob of horses in that era.!!

• Like 2