Bit Of A Yarn

Noms BOAY Drive of the season 2021

Well its just 2 months out from the end of the season, so nominations for the BOAY drive of the season.

I will nom Z Butcher for his drive on Fri nite at Alex on Art Nouveau R5. Started 2nd row. Was awake to take the run thru. Ended up parked but eased back to find cover, raced in 1/1 til just prior a lap out, when a horse from back started to make a mid-race move, he popped out of 1/1 to parked, before again shortly landing the 1/1 again. Then at 400 dropped down to trail. Then when leader not getting to passing lane quick enough, pulled out of trail around parked horse in straight and on past them to take victory!

Brilliance AT ITS BEST

Taupiri also highlighted S Wigg drive on the last Amateur Champs race, so will put her name down for a nom in for that race too.

Z Butcher

S Wigg

Any other noms out there?

PS an update as said Id give 1, No side effects jab 1 as earlier mentioned just sore arm. Side effects jab 2. So a tip for those that want to get jabs, DO NOT have an important event a day after the jab, because IF you do get side effects you will be bed/couch ridden & won't make event. Head ache, tummy ache, nausea, achy body, heart palpations, sharp random body pain, sore arm, all at once. Happens at nite time, awaking to this. But its short lived as only lasts 1 nite & 1 day. So just push thru it. 

Edited by Jones
  • Champ Post 2

2 hours ago, Jones said:

Brilliance AT ITS BEST

Taupiri also highlighted S Wigg drive on the last Amateur Champs race, so will put her name down for a nom in for that race too.

wonderful idea Jonsey !!!, and sure to get some fantastic nominations. Sheryl Wigg being one already.

Naturally , the Amazing drive ,by the amazing driver Mark Purdon on the AMAZING DREAM to win the Auckland Cup with a 10/10 drive in that feature on Dec 31st,  is what Many will say fits the bill of season's brilliant drive.??  

BUT To Surprise You lol... , I'm going for a Brilliant drive to WIN a Group 1 , that actually beat Mark and Amazing Dream back into 2nd place , while that grand mare was still at her peak , not long after that Auckland Cup victory.

KIRSTIN BARCLAY with Watch Me Now, only a moderately performing horse, and Winning the NZ Standardbred breeders stakes on 12th FEB . check out the drive from the impossible 8 barrier draw!, and then running down Mark and Amazing Dream in full flight . (Who does that ???) no-one ? except Kirstin. well worth a nomination.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

KIRSTIN BARCLAY with Watch Me Now, only a moderately performing horse, and Winning the NZ Standardbred breeders stakes on 12th FEB . check out the drive from the impossible 8 barrier draw!, and then running down Mark and Amazing Dream in full flight . (Who does that ???) no-one ? except Kirstin. well worth a nomination.

Great so we have nom-ed so far:

* S Wigg - Last Amateur Champ Drive Race

* Z Butcher - Art Nouveau Alex Park

* K Barclay - Watch Me Now Breeders Stakes

Great list so far. Any others out there? Must be.

1 hour ago, Jones said:

Great list so far. Any others out there? Must be.

Can't remember who it was , probably the Galah, who can spot a great drive , but a few customers posted on the Brilliant drive by BEN HOPE to win that spectacular Group 1 NZ trotting Championship FFA Trot on April 9th , and win his first Group 1 race. 

Muscle Mountain ran down the best in the land Sundee's Son and Bolt for Brilliance , with absolute ' Peach ' of a drive.

So BEN HOPE get's a nomination . (at the time HunterTPunter picked the Q , so nominated on his behalf )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Can't remember who it was , probably the Galah, who can spot a great drive , but a few customers posted on the Brilliant drive by BEN HOPE to win that spectacular Group 1 NZ trotting Championship FFA Trot on April 9th , and win his first Group 1 race. 

Muscle Mountain ran down the best in the land Sundee's Son and Bolt for Brilliance , with absolute ' Peach ' of a drive.

So BEN HOPE get's a nomination . (at the time HunterTPunter picked the Q , so nominated on his behalf )

* B Hope - Muscle Mountain FFA Trot 

Thanks Gamms for the usual positive posts. Recognising achievers rather than just moaning and/or running peeps and/or the industry down. 

3 hours ago, Gammalite said:

gammalite be great to see the muscle machine run at melton looks a super star in the making . could be the best trotter in Australasia

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, paleface adios said:

gammalite be great to see the muscle machine run at melton looks a super star in the making . could be the best trotter in Australasia

They are going into the Jewels FULL of confidence too Paleface, article out today, you & Gamms might find interesting. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/racing-trainer-sounds-jewels-warning/TIMXQNBO5VLPFBR5QJQ2VO46L4/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jones said:

They are going into the Jewels FULL of confidence too Paleface, article out today, you & Gamms might find interesting. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/racing-trainer-sounds-jewels-warning/TIMXQNBO5VLPFBR5QJQ2VO46L4/

Hey they sound really confident in that article ! the Hopes with both the trotters running against Bolt4Brilliance. Bolt came home with a great sprint last week. could be very interesting.

You'll have to keep the NOMINATIONS open ,at least to after Sunday Jewels ,Jonsey, as there is going to be some fine winning drives !!!!

am sure this thread will be getting some nominations after the big Day. ? 

Gammalite prediction : watch out for a NATHAN WILLIAMSON (Pembrook Playboy) 'Special drive' in the Last Jewel race on Sunday. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Hey they sound really confident in that article ! the Hopes with both the trotters running against Bolt4Brilliance. Bolt came home with a great sprint last week. could be very interesting.

You'll have to keep the NOMINATIONS open ,at least to after Sunday Jewels ,Jonsey, as there is going to be some fine winning drives !!!!

am sure this thread will be getting some nominations after the big Day. ? 

Gammalite prediction : watch out for a NATHAN WILLIAMSON (Pembrook Playboy) 'Special drive' in the Last Jewel race on Sunday. 

Nat saying she is keen to make a race of it too, and push forward on South Coast Arden. And if she gets lead she won't be handing. So yeah. Be an interesting race & yes will keep noms open incase a fab drive appears! 

Edited by Jones

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 10:11 PM, Jones said:

Nat saying she is keen to make a race of it too, and push forward on South Coast Arden. And if she gets lead she won't be handing. So yeah. Be an interesting race & yes will keep noms open incase a fab drive appears! 

This is interesting reading back. What another great drive by her, so will have to nom her. And also B Butcher for his usual great front rating drive at Cambridge track on BD Joe.

* N Rass - South Coast Arden Jewels

* B Butcher - BD Joe Jewels

Noms close end of this week. 

• Like 1

Nominating Mr Tony Herlihy , what a great drive on the 2 yearold DOUBLE DELIGHT to win from the outside barrier draw.

Trailed the good trotter Mystic Max for just the right amount of time, (who had every chance from a Blair Orange great steer) and then Double Delight powered on past coming up to the line. Outstanding drive Tony.!! 

Check out the Iceman Tony on one of the Best NZ Cup winning drives of all time . Luxury Liner 1988 , for his father-in-law Roy .

"Luxury Liner" zoomed around the field to get lead at bell in a bold move, then rated to perfection thereafter, headed off by a length by the late VINNY KNIGHT one of the greatest Aussie drivers ever with the Aussie "Our Maestro" (who had won the Interdominion that year) but Tony kicked back with LUXURY LINER to take the win and the NZ Cup. . fantastic drive.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Nominating Mr Tony Herlihy , what a great drive on the 2 yearold DOUBLE DELIGHT to win from the outside barrier draw.

Trailed the good trotter Mystic Max for just the right amount of time, (who had every chance from a Blair Orange great steer) and then Double Delight powered on past coming up to the line. Outstanding drive Tony.!! 

Check out the Iceman Tony on one of the Best NZ Cup winning drives of all time . Luxury Liner 1988 , for his father-in-law Roy .

"Luxury Liner" zoomed around the field to get lead at bell in a bold move, then rated to perfection thereafter, headed off by a length by the late VINNY KNIGHT one of the greatest Aussie drivers ever with the Aussie "Our Maestro" (who had won the Interdominion that year) but Tony kicked back with LUXURY LINER to take the win and the NZ Cup. . fantastic drive.

Great nom and yes great win.

Im also going to nom J Dunn on Need You Now.

Really wanted that horse to win. Was rooting for it. (Watched replay and was funny how the Butcher boys made Nat work AROUND them hehe - another poster also mentioned that too) driving against her, cause that was she does against her main opposition. If you are gunna dish it, you have to be prepared to eat it too sometimes 😋🍗 

Was watching on as the strides started to shorten in straight & the others started to catchup quickly, but he had put enough distance on them turning in, that they as a team, held on for the horse to take victory and Need You Nows first GROUP 1 glory. Yeehaa. (Thats what I like about Cambridge miles) gives the others a chance. Loved the aggressive driving ALL day. JD's rocking back & forward cracked me up a bit in a good way, but whatever it takes to get the horse over the line first without over whipping.

On that note there was ZERO whipping fines, suspensions or warnings re whipping, so WELL DONE to ALL drivers for that infront of the big crowd and TV audience. These days image is important regardless if you are for or against it.

* T Herlihy - Double Delight Jewels

* J Dunn - Need You Now Jewels

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jones said:

Im also going to nom J Dunn

Well if John is getting a nom, then his brother DEXTER DUNN (world driving champion 2015) should be there to beat him. (and everybody else.)

Dexter leaning that far back out of the gig here, thought his helmet was gunna hit the ground at one stage. !! lol...... funny as....

Exactly at the time, while the jewels was on DEXTER DUNN was powering to victory with Captain Barbossa in photo here at the Meadowlands . one of many wins for the day as usual. 

last season Dexter took 114 votes for driver of the year , 2nd placegetter had just 13 votes. best in world is DD.!!!!DSC02185.thumb.JPG.997a5072c0c122619a28bc148a6a0a9f.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, paleface adios said:

Garry Hall Jnr Beach Start Gloucester park

Excellent selection there Paleface. Was never any criteria re had to be in NZ.

What a crack up the commentator moments AFTER the post “oh Beach Start” after calling the other horses. Gosh how will we decide who the winner is with ALL these fantastic noms ...

* G E Hall Jnr - Beachstart NZ 25 May Gloucester Park

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Well if John is getting a nom, then his brother DEXTER DUNN (world driving champion 2015) should be there to beat him. (and everybody else.)

Dexter leaning that far back out of the gig here, thought his helmet was gunna hit the ground at one stage. !! lol...... funny as....

Exactly at the time, while the jewels was on DEXTER DUNN was powering to victory with Captain Barbossa in photo here at the Meadowlands . one of many wins for the day as usual. 

last season Dexter took 114 votes for driver of the year , 2nd placegetter had just 13 votes. best in world is DD.!!!!DSC02185.thumb.JPG.997a5072c0c122619a28bc148a6a0a9f.JPG

YES will add D. Dunn. Wow he is low flying there. Whats the song, (how long can you go - in my zone by C Brown) "how long can you go, how low can you go, how low can you go, how long can you go".  Twerk it Gamms, twerk it 🕺🕺🕺 

https://youtu.be/j0zw4c8fuWU

* D Dunn - Captain Barbossa Meadowlands USA 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jones said:

Gosh how will we decide who the winner is with ALL these fantastic noms ...

Well we have witnessed a hundred posts this season, of posters nominating the poorer drives such as Newmarket, Forbury (with a Sunday bit of Ben Hope love comeback) ,one bloke spotting Amazing Dream being beaten by Beyond Words lol.... , but to have an Eye for the Best harness racing drive of the season  , deserves to be made by a current NZ champion.?

How about BOAY ask ANDREW FITZGERALD (recent winner of NZ Amateur Driving championship) and occasional BOAY poster to select the winner.???  a race driver would know best.?

• Champ Post 1

7 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Well we have witnessed a hundred posts this season, of posters nominating the poorer drives such as Newmarket, Forbury (with a Sunday bit of Ben Hope love comeback) ,one bloke spotting Amazing Dream being beaten by Beyond Words lol.... , but to have an Eye for the Best harness racing drive of the season  , deserves to be made by a current NZ champion.?

How about BOAY ask ANDREW FITZGERALD (recent winner of NZ Amateur Driving championship) and occasional BOAY poster to select the winner.???  a race driver would know best.?

What a fantastic idea Gamms. And to sweeten him up he looked the part on Jewels day was rocking a cool outfit actually that is what I thought. The BGP area had some hip funky chairs furniture in it, which was a positive. They seemed a bit more low key than what I had seen them on a video last time at Camb Jewels. 

Well if Fitzgerald is up for the challenge to pick be cool 😄

Noms close Sunday.

Enteebee you are slipping, what about your main man B Williamson on Majestic M. How brilliant was his drive in Cambridge flying mile.

Then went to Aus in G1 trotting Grand Prix Melton Feb, drawn 10, took run thru to secure 1-1, then BEFORE 1 of his main rivals could get ahead of him, HE pulls out infront of it, as it launches a move. BUT too late MM and Williamson stay ahead of them and move onto the lead and continue on to take the well deserved win.

* D Dunn - Captain Barbossa Meadowlands USA 

* B Williamson - Majestic Man Grand Prix Trot Melton Feb

Edited by Jones

13 hours ago, Jones said:

Really wanted that horse to win. Was rooting for it. (Watched replay and was funny how the Butcher boys made Nat work AROUND them hehe - another poster also mentioned that too) driving against her.

In doing so did the Butchers' enhance their own horses chances- judging by finishing position, obviously not. If i was one of the owners or Telfer i would not be happy about it.

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

In doing so did the Butchers' enhance their own horses chances- judging by finishing position, obviously not. If i was one of the owners or Telfer i would not be happy about it.

You should know the rule by now JJ. It is only team driving if the All Stars do it!! Butchers, Dunns, Telfer... team driving all good, nothing to see here.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

There is def a rivalry there, isn’t there. This is just the beginning. It will only heat up as time goes on. Its going to be good when it really gets HOT.

Watch this space.

Team Telfers verse Team Cullen/All Stars 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Davis said:

You should know the rule by now JJ. It is only team driving if the All Stars do it!! Butchers, Dunns, Telfer... team driving all good, nothing to see here.

Nah Davis there is a thread here started by Cross Codes on 28 May titled Telfor/Butcher team driving. I was the 1st to like his original post.

Others liked it too including yourself. So no, other team driving IS called out, not just Team Cullen/AS

• Haha 1

Must admit i've been a critic/ and/or fan of the Telfer 'Team driving ' since Christmas , with many wins.

Anything that increases your horses chance of victory is Fine in my books. 

Don't forget ,'Team Driving' usually Increases the chances of all the 'Team' runners and dramatically reduces the chances of the 'Main rival Opponent' . that is the goal. (ALLstars with the best demonstration of it ever seen, in the last running of the Auckland Cup on Dec 31st)

Nearly came unstuck with BD JOE in the 3 yearolds jewels for Telfer though ?, as surely, you would think pushing KRUG 3 back along the fence by letting ALTA WISEGUY take the lead from BD JOE, would of Increased their chances dramatically???. As it turned out , they did the right thing and Ben Butcher drove a Fair Honest winning race and took the chocolates.!!  surprise to me. but good on him!

Honesty paid off and , even though they gave KRUG all the favours by Not 'team driving' , they won!. amazing.

5 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Actually JJ have a bone to pick with you, why did you make up a fabricated story that I owned Sugar Apple on the other site? Its very hypocritical considering you also say on there, that this site is notorious for fabricated info.

And as a result of such fabrication, no I will not be enjoying reading that site anymore. 

• Fake News! 1