Bit Of A Yarn

Jumping on it's last legs in the CD

Just seen the fields for Palmy on Saturday and the jumping races are abysmal , 28 horses competing for 120k . For an industry struggling for funds this isn't a good look or use of resources .

I am a huge jumping fan , one of the great racing spectacles is watching the Wellington jumps races from the top of the public stand , but the decline nationally is scary , is it time to just say enough is enough .

Saying that the open races are no better , 65k in stakes just 15 runners between them , an 8 and a 7 , 3 of the runners are rating 57 .

Yet the R65 1400 has has 20 runners with 6 on the ballot and probably missing a run , get the 3 from the opens and you would have 2 races with 10+ runners , surely better for betting .

Maybe i'm just in a grumbly mood today , but our lack of numbers is a serious concern .

I also enjoy the jumps caper. 

But I don't think there is anyway back for it in this country.

Most practitioners of the sport are closer to the end than the start & the costs / time involved in preparing animals for this can be challenging in these times, particularly with the new bred of owner becoming the norm in the sport. 

It's a pity as its an integral part of building horsemanship within the industry and probably a good starting point for giving horses another career.

You mention CD specifically, well I'd venture to say the Northern jumps scene would look pretty sick without the CD propping up races there.

Ellerslie Queens BD :

R1 7/12 from CD

R3 4/10 from CD

R4 3/8 from CD

R6 6/7 from CD

Without the CD I think you're looking at the end of jumps racing in this country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Just seen the fields for Palmy on Saturday and the jumping races are abysmal , 28 horses competing for 120k . For an industry struggling for funds this isn't a good look or use of resources .

I am a huge jumping fan , one of the great racing spectacles is watching the Wellington jumps races from the top of the public stand , but the decline nationally is scary , is it time to just say enough is enough .

It does seem a lot stakewise for very small fields,I guess those turning up won't need to push their horses too hard to pick up some good coin,in a way they gain,the industry loses,every big race just about struggles for numbers these days,sad but true.

The national meeting in Riccarton will be interesting ,if all the runners come from the north and with the emphasis on racing where the horse population is,jumping wise be hard to justify keeping it going.

In some ways I think Riccarton and Addington are having a bit too much influence over other clubs.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

In some ways I think Riccarton and Addington are having a bit too much influence over other clubs.

Mikey , that occurs throughout the industry not just in the SI. One of the reason we are in such a mess imh "negative" opinion!

• Like 2

There is a lot of negativity here sometimes but there is a lot in all facets in life nowadays,so many clever fuckers making a fuck up of everything,where is it gunna end?

100 million not enough for the government donation to the Americas Cup,really and that just for hosting 

Edited by mikeynz

On 16/06/2021 at 11:25 AM, nomates said:

I'm also a huge jumping fan, but I have to agree.   While Andre Klein was here with Gallop South, there was at least an enthusiastic supporter in management.  I realise there were issues in and around his tenure,  but he definitely had ideas to mitigate the demise of the sport, rightly or wrongly. 

But things have gone from bad to worse.  Jo Gordon and Alan Browne have given up their time to run jumping schools, with Paul Claridge's input - but the main S.I club has sat on it's hands for a decade or more doing zip to promote jumping, but reaping any benefits coming with the National meeting.   It would not be a surprise [ to me ] if the National went elsewhere, sad to say...and as for funding?  definitely not a good use of resources and betting on these events is also poor .

Myers, Nelson. Wheeler, Anderton...all getting on, with no sign [ that I can see ] of any enthusiastic young supporters coming through in the numbers needed to make the option viable.

• Like 3

The jumping situation is merely the precursor for the rest of the racing industry . 

None of the feeders at the top table nor the guys running it have done anything to allay the steady decline of anything in racing , just as the TAB has been unable to substantially improve betting turnovers , saying that they have been the makers of their own demise with some of their decision making and investments .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nomates said:

The jumping situation is merely the precursor for the rest of the racing industry . 

None of the feeders at the top table nor the guys running it have done anything to allay the steady decline of anything in racing , just as the TAB has been unable to substantially improve betting turnovers , saying that they have been the makers of their own demise with some of their decision making and investments .

That is most certainly the case, couple that with racings desire to look for quick fixes in this country and you have a recipe for decline. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Huey said:

That is most certainly the case, couple that with racings desire to look for quick fixes in this country and you have a recipe for decline. 

Usually expensive quick fixes at that , that have completely depleted racings reserves . 

The worrying issue for me is the fact that racing still doesn't know what their share of distributions will be to confirm to participants what stakes will be next season , 5 weeks away .

I would suggest if the numbers were glowing they would be shouting it from the roof tops , at the moment they aren't even squeaking from the basement .

• Like 2