Bit Of A Yarn

racing BOAY Sabarge Syndicate

Having seen the movie "Dream Horse' yesterday, starring the amazing Aus actress Toni Collette yesterday , am inspired to race something.

Also missed out buying 1.54 horse SAM IS PERFECTION for 7k recently. Sam ran 4th to KING of SWING in the Brisbane FFA last saturday after 3 straight wins.

A great winning purchase would be his stablemate SABARGE racing tomorrow Albion, in a claimer for just $9000 . 

A 1.54.3 capable horse, NZ bred by the late MACH THREE stallion. slightly slower than Sam but pretty honest.

SABARGE meaning is 'to open a bottle , usually champagne, with a Sabre !!! fantastic!!. that sounds like us after a win ! lol....

Nine persons at a mere 1000 each for a ninth share, the BOAY syndicate ( or How Bizarre syndicate or DD Smash syndicate) will be winning some back just next week .

Gammalite, Galah, ChiefStipe, Davis, Brodie, Jones, Taupiri, Dougie , GospelJudus all readymade winners , ready to go runner.

Pop him with Grant Dixon training and win next week ?? Grant and Nat used to race in Claimers all the time , he'd give me 'mates training rates' too lol....

big downside is Gammalite , the only one to get to see him race! lol..... (Brisbane) and he is 8 now too, so in last year or so of racing.

so unlikely he would ever get back to NZ racing lol.

• Like 2

I want another 1, so 3 altogether. Thinking a Miki or maybe, a Downbytheseasidea as see in USA has the highest number of 2 year old qualifiers or something, then next top 2 y-o qualifiers is Sweet Lou. (Thats just what saw on Woodlands page).

Maybe you could get a family syndicate together or with friends 😄

Bummer you missed out on Sam is Perfection at $7k, wow that he just ran to King of Swing in BNE recently. Thats really good!

Edited by Jones
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Jones said:

Maybe you could get a family syndicate together or with friends

Bit scattered everywhere through NZ and Aus . was Just having a senior moment thinking would be fun to race one with the folk who are actually "Interested in and support Harness racing". lol . and you would get some great discussion and enjoyment racing one of these fine horses. Hope they all get the chance at some time would be great for them. 

BUT of course actually seeing your horse race is the fun and value of it all anyway, so we 'Luck Out' at this stage .

NZ being a big place too, so is pretty hard to get 'On Location' to enjoy the racing.

Hey Gamms,you piqued my interest enough to tune into this race.

I note you didn't press ahead with a claim,as no runners went home to a new stable!

Sabarge showed good early speed to lead,then attacked relentlessly by the parked runner,so not surprised he was headed and passed early in run home,eventually clinging on for 3rd in 1.53.6 winners m/r.

What I found surprising was that the winner was the horse doing it tough parked throughout.Had finished behind Sabarge in recent runs,and could have been claimed for $7,000.🤑

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Hey Gamms,you piqued my interest enough to tune into this race.

I note you didn't press ahead with a claim,as no runners went home to a new stable!

Sabarge showed good early speed to lead,then attacked relentlessly by the parked runner,so not surprised he was headed and passed early in run home,eventually clinging on for 3rd in 1.53.6 winners m/r.

What I found surprising was that the winner was the horse doing it tough parked throughout.Had finished behind Sabarge in recent runs,and could have been claimed for $7,000.🤑

They were a lovely bunch of horses in their day. Lots of wins between them . They tire late nowadays, but how game are they? fabulous.

Sabrage went his absolute best of the usual 1.54.4 he can run these days to run 3rd , but the winner sitting parked going 1.53.6 was just Way too good today. Funnily enough he tried that last start , parking outside Sabrage and ran last. Miss McMullen (now married to Ryan Vievers) had him fired up today !!! lol... CHANTRY did run 1.53.3 back in summer , but hasn't gone that quick since. a good buy at $7000 for someone still.

Sabrage stable-mate at Butler's, from NZ called THE ROCKNROLL KING just ran a good second in race 9 to McCarthy, and beat the High reputation horse AMERICAN DEALER by 15m..   But he would be worth 50-100k !! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well Gamms,it's been 12 weeks since you floated the idea of claiming Sabrage @A$9000

Have done a review to see how he has performed since!

Has raced 7 times:2wins/3seconds/1third.Prizemoney A$13,852

Racing again tomorrow,shooting for a hattrick.

Ironically his regular driver in all these races has been Brendon Barnes,whose skills in the sulky have been questioned on here recently.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Well Gamms,it's been 12 weeks since you floated the idea of claiming Sabrage @A$9000

Have done a review to see how he has performed since!

Has raced 7 times:2wins/3seconds/1third.Prizemoney A$13,852

Racing again tomorrow,shooting for a hattrick.

Ironically his regular driver in all these races has been Brendon Barnes,whose skills in the sulky have been questioned on here recently.

Well you know it is i that has said brendon barnes is not a favorite of mine,I still have that view,but thats just my opinion.Each to their own.Of course i  have referred mainly to his father and brother. While there have been many race videos that have seen me form my opinions, I have previously specifically given 4 race videos that i suggest should be watched. If you haven't watched them,then you won't understand why i said what i have.

I was reading a couple of articles about the brothers recently. One said their grandfather played tennis for australia. Another that seems to be 12 months ago says they were going to give up harness racing and work in the mines for a while.While that may not have eventuated it quoted hayden barnes as saying they had nearly left harness racing a few times,and that the industry brings with it a lot of pressure and it was easy to get run down from the constant grind. Drivers over there do seem to have a full on lifestyle with racing 6 days a week, so you can see why some may feel in need of a break 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the galah said:

Well you know it is i that has said brendon barnes is not a favorite of mine,I still have that view,but thats just my opinion.Each to their own.Of course i  have referred mainly to his father and brother. While there have been many race videos that have seen me form my opinions, I have previously specifically given 4 race videos that i suggest should be watched. If you haven't watched them,then you won't understand why i said what i have.

I was reading a couple of articles about the brothers recently. One said their grandfather played tennis for australia. Another that seems to be 12 months ago says they were going to give up harness racing and work in the mines for a while.While that may not have eventuated it quoted hayden barnes as saying they had nearly left harness racing a few times,and that the industry brings with it a lot of pressure and it was easy to get run down from the constant grind. Drivers over there do seem to have a full on lifestyle with racing 6 days a week, so you can see why some may feel in need of a break 

all good. I wouldn't go out of my way to put a Barnes on. nothing particular , but yeah someone has to be also rans . I like the Nz driving (ant's and mark P proving to be near worlds best) even though you would of had Mark out for Amazing Dream defeat by 'Beyond Words' late last year lol........ (tongue in cheek) can't win em all lol...... 

I would say in 15 years of harness racing, did something with them 7 days a week. was racing only 4 days though , and never on Sundays. I think the hardy NZ harness racing folk are working 7 days as well. As you quoted 6 days , but still gotta do something with them. Exactly as you say a lifestyle gig , and you're doing your hobby as a living . (like a week-end golfer ) not really a lot of money involved , (unless you are ALLStars of course) just a love of the game and joy of competing.  (and try and get the dollar for your owners)

• Like 1