Bit Of A Yarn

Hannon Day

Ludwig

38 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Really pleased for the club that they have strong nominations for the programme. They're a hard working bunch, and for a small town, they put together a good meeting . The entry of some strong southern horses certainly adds interest to the Hannan itself.

Iraklis, Kyms Girl, Inky Lord, Bonnie's Chance and Bee Bee Cee all won the Hannon on the way to winning that year's NZ Trotting Cup. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Iraklis, Kyms Girl, Inky Lord, Bonnie's Chance and Bee Bee Cee all won the Hannon on the way to winning that year's NZ Trotting Cup. 

Sadly, it's been a while since the winner of the Cup came via the Hannon. The big guns are leaving their return later each year.

47 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Sadly, it's been a while since the winner of the Cup came via the Hannon. The big guns are leaving their return later each year.

I'm looking at Vintage Cheddar I think he could be the best of the southerners. A Black places the horse well. Big chance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davis said:

I'm looking at Vintage Cheddar I think he could be the best of the southerners. A Black places the horse well. Big chance.

I agree about Vintage Cheddar. It would be a good win for Bradley as driver . I am very curious as to how Phil Ws three year old trotters are likely to go  . I'll have to pump my sources for info.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

I agree about Vintage Cheddar. It would be a good win for Bradley as driver . I am very curious as to how Phil Ws three year old trotters are likely to go  . I'll have to pump my sources for info.

Very Interested in Springbank Mason, got a huge motor but loves a break... interestingly he didn't trial last week at home so maybe he's ready to rock.

Phil lacking numbers this last year and other than Majestic Man his other trotters seem to break a lot for some reason, a few years back it didn't matter if it was a 1st start maiden or multiple winner his horses would never break... quality of stock I guess.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Very Interested in Springbank Mason, got a huge motor but loves a break... interestingly he didn't trial last week at home so maybe he's ready to rock.

Phil lacking numbers this last year and other than Majestic Man his other trotters seem to break a lot for some reason, a few years back it didn't matter if it was a 1st start maiden or multiple winner his horses would never break... quality of stock I guess.

I understand that Phil's numbers may be less from now on. Apologies if I've been misinformed, but with all three of his boys now training full time, he's going to wind down a bit. A good mentor for them all 

1 minute ago, Ludwig said:

I understand that Phil's numbers may be less from now on. Apologies if I've been misinformed, but with all three of his boys now training full time, he's going to wind down a bit. A good mentor for them all 

Looks that way too from afar ... Brad said last week that nice winner Laurie's Legacy was with Phil but Phil just gave it to Brad to train.

I saw Dwindle Star qualify, is small but nice gait, well bred and Bev owns too.

On 13/09/2021 at 5:35 PM, Ludwig said:

Great draw for Vintage Cheddar, just doesn't want a slow run race and sprint home but being first up can't see Brad taking on CB for the lead.

Dwindle Star interestingly withdrawn to run in yesterdays trial, and coincidently her 2 year old half brother qualified yesterday in Harry Stamper..... Springbank Mason last in a slow trial , I have no idea who writes the TAB comments dribble on HRNZ, it's been updated at 12:30 today but he or she didn't know of yesterday trials at Oamaru and wrote this comment.

Tidy performance before being freshened. No trials but deserves respect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

Great draw for Vintage Cheddar, just doesn't want a slow run race and sprint home but being first up can't see Brad taking on CB for the lead.

Dwindle Star interestingly withdrawn to run in yesterdays trial, and coincidently her 2 year old half brother qualified yesterday in Harry Stamper..... Springbank Mason last in a slow trial , I have no idea who writes the TAB comments dribble on HRNZ, it's been updated at 12:30 today but he or she didn't know of yesterday trials at Oamaru and wrote this comment.

Tidy performance before being freshened. No trials but deserves respect.

I agree re tab formline comments. Often they are meaningless drivel.

And John Dunn's got the perfect draw in the Hannon., especially with the horse's standing start manners .

On 9/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, Dougie said:

Looks that way too from afar ... Brad said last week that nice winner Laurie's Legacy was with Phil but Phil just gave it to Brad to train.

I saw Dwindle Star qualify, is small but nice gait, well bred and Bev owns too.

Very impressed to see that Phil's young trotter has the junior driver on for its first start, even though several of his sons are present.  It's good that they get given the opportunity. Good luck to him.

On 17/09/2021 at 1:12 PM, Ludwig said:

Very impressed to see that Phil's young trotter has the junior driver on for its first start, even though several of his sons are present.  It's good that they get given the opportunity. Good luck to him.

Not going to bash the young fella but 90 odd drives without a win mainly in the NI, hopefully will get on a better class of horse and he needs to find a way of getting up on the speed when possible.

I liked Get Lucky today but not off level marks with Majestic Lavros, I know very little about ratings but Majestic Lavros ran 2nd last start to our best trotter 'Sundees Sun' but his rating didn't go up.... confused.

24 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Not going to bash the young fella but 90 odd drives without a win mainly in the NI, hopefully will get on a better class of horse and he needs to find a way of getting up on the speed when possible.

I liked Get Lucky today but not off level marks with Majestic Lavros, I know very little about ratings but Majestic Lavros ran 2nd last start to our best trotter 'Sundees Sun' but his rating didn't go up.... confused.

Perhaps he'll get more opportunities down here to show what he's got as a driver  . That's why I was interested to see him get the drive on the first starter.

Good win by Majestic Lavros. It's been a good day by and large for the favourites.

33 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Trying to understand the ratings system reminds me of my futile attempt to learn Greek. My little brain couldn't cope.

Going to jump in here, as you have jumped in on a thread of mine there Ludwig e.g. Alex P how to get numbers back, but I will stick to topic oppose solely attacking a poster.

Agree with both you & Dougie,

Great to see him getting drive as you Ludwig say.

Dougie as you say - stats are not so good but possibly low calibre.

As he is from the North, what I can tell you is that, no he has not had a high calibre of horse to work with.

Brods paid him out in the Jnr Championship for these low stats.

However he finished approx mid-field in Jnr Champs & would of done better. As Karrots memory stands, in a race it was a stand start race, his horse went out like a rocket, it was less than a split second away from reaching the trail, BUT JUST missed, therefore it sat parked the whole way. Had it got the trail, then it WOULD OF finished top 3. And HE would of finished higher in Jnr Champs than he did. May have even taken the WIN that Race.

Yes lets see if he has some talent there, & hey what a great teacher he has to learn from moving forward.

To me rating system is SIMPLE to follow, was surprised when Davis said he genuinely found it hard to follow. Not sure if you are meaning it needs changes there Ludwig or if you too find it hard to follow. Maybe it needs tweaking a lil. Probably. No handicap expert tho. 

Edited by Karrotsisback
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Excellent result for the Dunn's. Also please to see the 3Southland horse's doing well. Hopefully one or two of them can pick up a decent race in coming weeks.

No sign of Nathan's good trotters at the trials yet either, hopefully they'll be ready for Cup time and a repeat of the good times the Southlanders had last year... Both of Black's horses ran super today.

Springbank Mason looked big and going by the way they drove him needs a few runs to get to peak fitness.

Good day for Timaru trainers today too with wins and placing's at good odds.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dougie said:

No sign of Nathan's good trotters at the trials yet either, hopefully they'll be ready for Cup time and a repeat of the good times the Southlanders had last year... Both of Black's horses ran super today.

Springbank Mason looked big and going by the way they drove him needs a few runs to get to peak fitness.

Good day for Timaru trainers today too with wins and placing's at good odds.

Just trying to think of the last top line horses  that came out of Timaru. There was Murray Tapper's top line trotter from 10 years ago. And there was dear old Eastwood Jaunty, but nothing else springs to mind 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Just trying to think of the last top line horses  that came out of Timaru. There was Murray Tapper's top line trotter from 10 years ago. And there was dear old Eastwood Jaunty, but nothing else springs to mind 

Yeah Stylish Monarch plus Domination won a few as well, not many trainers there now with more than a handful of horses, White would have had the most before he moved to Ashvegas, unlike the old days with Shand and Caskey.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Excellent result for the Dunn's. Also please to see the 3Southland horse's doing well. Hopefully one or two of them can pick up a decent race in coming weeks.

Bit of team driving helps! Vintage Cheddar unlucky came home well when clear. Hard to come from four back the fence at Oamaru which is a frontrunners course. Laver stuck on well too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davis said:

Bit of team driving helps! Vintage Cheddar unlucky came home well when clear. Hard to come from four back the fence at Oamaru which is a frontrunners course. Laver stuck on well too.

I've found Oamaru to be a backrunners course. My horses tend to run at the back and stay there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/09/2021 at 12:57 PM, Ludwig said:

Perhaps he'll get more opportunities down here to show what he's got as a driver  . That's why I was interested to see him get the drive on the first starter.

Good win by Majestic Lavros. It's been a good day by and large for the favourites.

Another poor effort from this kid just now on Springbank Mason.... this horse wants to run fast and can stay and I doubt you'll see him drive him again, Matty back on for now on please.

Smokin Bandar looked the goods too.

1 minute ago, Dougie said:

Another poor effort from this kid just now on Springbank Mason.... this horse wants to run fast and can stay and I doubt you'll see him drive him again, Matty back on for now on please.

Smokin Bandar looked the goods too.

Thanks for saying that. Phil has been loyal and convincing owners to let him drive. But they want to see a winners cheque.

I see he's got the drive on Our Pinnochio on Sunday. I know one of the owners and they'll be patient but for how long?