Bit Of A Yarn

Alysha Collett To Step Up To Sydney Metro.

Alysha Collett ready to join the A-grade ranks

Alysha Collett is riding in the big smoke on Epsom day. Photo: Trish Dunell.Alysha Collett is riding in the big smoke on Epsom day. Photo: Trish Dunell.

By Clinton Payne
04:59pm • 26 September 2021

In-form jockey Alysha Collett is joining up with Sydney’s best jockeys and will ride at Randwick on Epsom Handicap day next Saturday.

Collett has been the star quality of the non-Greater Sydney jockey region this season having already booted home 25 winners.

Only Australia’s best jockey James McDonald has ridden more winners in NSW this season with 34.

Collett, the sister of established Sydney rider Jason, has landed two rides in the Epsom Handicap and The Metropolitan for Chris Waller.

The Waller-trained horses Collett will ride in the feature Group 1s remain unknown but will be lightweight chances.

“After next Saturday I’m going to have a crack at staying in Sydney,” Collett said.

“I can ride light which is a positive at this time of the year.

“I might even get lucky and things open back up in the not too distant future.

“I’ll just take it week by week and see how things go.

“I can ride 52, 53 kilos, week in week out.”

Sydney Racing: The Championships Day 2

Alysha Collett will be aboard Chris Waller-trained gallopers in Group 1 races at Randwick next week. Photo: Mark Evans–Getty Images.

Collett has been back in Australia since autumn in 2020 when she left Singapore when the Asian racing centre shut down racing due to Covid.

The Group 1-winning Kiwi struggled for winners when she returned to Australia but this year the momentum started to build and in recent times she has become the go-to jockey in her region.

Her 25 winners have come at better than 16.5 per cent with 12 of this season’s winners for the powerful Peter and Paul Snowden operation.

“It took me a while to settle back into things since I got back from Singapore,” Collett said.

“I hadn’t ridden for about a year and a half due to a back injury and the style of racing is very different.

“Looking back, it took me longer than I expected to condition my body and it’s much more tactical the racing here.

“Over in Singapore they tend to jump and run whereas here every race is run differently so you have to be very switched on.

“That’s something I’ve really focused on in the past six months as well as some gym work and it all seems to be paying dividends.”

Collett is managed by Shaun Flaherty who can be contacted on 0410 996 817.

• Like 1