Bit Of A Yarn

Ellerslie Big Screen Scaring Horses

There is something unique about the Ellerslie track --how many times do we see a horse skying away from the rail as they near the finish ? They do not do it at other tracks, only Ellerslie.There was a couple of blatant examples yesterday, both resulting in inquiries.

Why does this occur?  I asked a jockey  and he said the horse just swerved  violently and like most jocks he was clueless

So I thought I would ask the horse-you know, straight from the horses mouth !. Hoss said "I was cruising down the straight next to the running rail  and keeping a nice straight line and all of a sudden I saw this mob of horses charging at me from my right, I said bugger this , I'm out of here and scrambled sideways as fast as my little legs could go "

Anyone want a used 500 inch T Y set????

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

43 minutes ago, nod said:

There is something unique about the Ellerslie track --how many times do we see a horse skying away from the rail as they near the finish ? They do not do it at other tracks, only Ellerslie.There was a couple of blatant examples yesterday, both resulting in inquiries.

Why does this occur?  I asked a jockey  and he said the horse just swerved  violently and like most jocks he was clueless

So I thought I would ask the horse-you know, straight from the horses mouth !. Hoss said "I was cruising down the straight next to the running rail  and keeping a nice straight line and all of a sudden I saw this mob of horses charging at me from my right, I said bugger this , I'm out of here and scrambled sideways as fast as my little legs could go "

Anyone want a used 500 inch T Y set????

Actually you might be onto something.  I doubt a horse can see images on a TV screen but those big screens do generate a lot of magnetic, micro and or radio waves.  I bet if you stand next to it you'll hear one he'll of a hum emanating from it.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Actually you might be onto something.  I doubt a horse can see images on a TV screen but those big screens do generate a lot of magnetic, micro and or radio waves.  I bet if you stand next to it you'll hear one he'll of a hum emanating from it.

I prefer the horses version -of course they can see images. I have one here who demands replays of The Lone Ranger. Why do we put mirrors in boxes so they think they have company?

I suggest you watch replays  of the head on footage from yesterday and ponder why this happens at Ellerslie and not other tracks.

Guest Whyisit
Just now, nod said:

I prefer the horses version -of course they can see images. I have one here who demands replays of The Lone Ranger. Why do we put mirrors in boxes so they think they have company?

I suggest you watch replays  of the head on footage from yesterday and ponder why this happens at Ellerslie and not other tracks.

Neither of the inside horses had blinkers on  Food for thought .One had side winkers on which really doesn't come into the equation.

Horses can see horses several paddocks away in my experience. Something moving from the inside of the track could cause problems.

5 minutes ago, nod said:

I didn't disagree that something is causing the horses to think.  But there's a bit of a difference between a horse travelling at 80km/h and seeing a TV image 20m away and looking at a mirror in its stable.

36 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I didn't disagree that something is causing the horses to think.  But there's a bit of a difference between a horse travelling at 80km/h and seeing a TV image 20m away and looking at a mirror in its stable.

You got one that goes 80kph ? any chance of a little share ?

• Like 2

• Chief Stipe changed the title to Ellerslie Big Screen Scaring Horses

Nahayan cost itself the 1998 Derby by veering out. Been plenty since. Not sure its the screen but must be something. Several dislodgements as well.

What's the story with Nahayan

By Mike Dillon

Is it pique or pain that causes Nahayan to deny herself the spot she could easily have as New Zealand's champion 3-year-old?

The question has to be asked after Nahayan's inglorious display on Saturday.

Her zigzag Derby third at least ruled out the contention her erratic running had been caused by Peter Johnson's whip.

That leaves only inexperience or pain. After the 1000 Guineas, Avondale Guineas and Derby, inexperience is starting to lengthen in odds.

So is it pain? Is the highly talented filly feeling discomfort when the pressure goes on in her races?

Co-owner and trainer Trevor McKee admits the filly has been "shouldery" - not entirely comfortable in a shoulder - for much of the last year. But he denies that is the cause of her problems.

"After she ran erratically in the Avondale Guineas we had her x-rayed from every conceivable angle and it showed nothing was physically wrong with her."

If it is discomfort, it is nothing like the pain Nahayan has caused Trevor and Stephen McKee and co-owner Brian Collins.

Watching Trevor McKee as the field crossed the finish line was an experience.

Like all long-time horsemen, he took the loss with dignity, but the devastation
was obvious, particularly as he thought Nahayan had still probably won.

He had to wait for the slow-motion television replay to confirm his agony. It was equal to the greatest disappointment McKee has had in a lifetime in the racing industry.

"The only thing that matches it was when I found out Flying Luskin hadn't won the 1990 Auckland Cup when from all angles it looked certain he had."

Such crushing disappointment has to have its release. While there were no recriminations, Trevor McKee asked, or suggested, that Nahayan may have run straighter had Johnson held her up for a little longer when she had drawn level with So Casual and El Duce at the 375m.

There were no recriminations in return, but it was clear Johnson was upset at
the suggestion he had been in any way responsible.

"I held her up for as long as I could," he said with feeling. "I could ride that race 100 times and there is nothing more I could have done to get her home. She simply beat herself."

Three or four lengths was the conservative margin Johnson said Nahayan would have won by if she had run straight.

So Casual's winning rider, champion Melbourne jockey Damien Oliver, had resigned himself to second money when he saw Nahayan draw level and put her head in front in the home straight.

"I thought you were going to run past us for sure," Oliver told Johnson afterwards in an attempt to console him.

The introduction of a set of blinkers is the McKee stable's next act for Nahayan for the $250,000 NZ Oaks at Trentham next month.

image.png