Bit Of A Yarn

CRUSADERS.....

Freda

On 5/08/2018 at 3:07 PM, Freda said:

Just the best.!

When I was a small boy I used to sit with my Mum and listen to the footy, My Mum loved Welly, she hated Fergie McCormack, boy could she dish it out, you had to be there. Subsequently as I grew older I too learned to look on Canterbury with disdain, dirty buggers, not like Welly, how my Mum would handle all this Canterbury success is beyond me, she'd be on 60-80 fags a day, reality and my Mum were like ships in the night......however, God Bless the Crusaders cos without em NZ Rugby would be a bit like NZ Racing......I do remember a rep rugby team I played in being billeted out and we stayed with a family in Papanui/Merivale.....we were dragged along to watch a club game and a fellow called Lyn Colling was playing half back......a fair sort of talent I thought......I think he kicked on a bit, Freda would know, she was probably running the water bucket back then eh?.....just kidding Freda.....you're only a baby compared to some of us.

Well.....kinda and kinda not....I remember people referring to the Hinemoa but never travelled on her - or the Maori.

Believe it or not, I had never crossed the strait by sea until fairly recently, when I took a horse to Tauranga, and then a year or so later, a couple to Foxton.

Picton to Wellington of course, not from Lyttelton as in earlier times.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 10/08/2018 at 10:15 PM, Rowley Mile said:

yep, made the AB's.....and we travelled down to Chch on the Maori, I bet you can't remember those crossings, and my first was on the Hinemoa, my last the Wahine with a load of horses.....if you can remember the Hinemoa I'll buy you a horse or two to train.....there you go.

I remember the Maori and the Hinemoa but only through the misspent youth of my father and the tales he told thereof.  He and his mates would travel from the West Coast (mostly a dirt road then and they raced each other in their cars) to Lyttelton and catch either the Maori or the Hinemoa to travel to Wellington to see the AB's play at Athletic Park.  Same people on the boat every year and party from when they started.

They only stayed as long in Wellington as it was necessary to catch the next ferry back to Lyttelton, Christchurch.

I was on board the Wahine a week before she went down but only in port at Lyttelton.  We were visiting dad's cousin - Captain Robertson.

I also studied the storm that claimed her at Lincoln University as part of my degree.  It was most unfortunate that Cyclone Giselle arrived in Wellington exactly the same time as the Wahine was to sail through the heads.  

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow accidentally stumbled on this old thread. And now the threepeat!

Traveled at least once on the Lyttleton-Wellington ferry. 1971. Not quite sure but I think it was the Rangatira? Quite flash in them days. A member of the Canterbury-Westland Pony Club Championship team headed for Masterton. We stayed in a house on the Williams' Te Parae property for the course of the event. Team coach was Mavis Harris who trained a couple of pretty good gallopers around that time in Donnybrook Fair and classy sprinter The Blues. Now centurion thoroughbred trainer Barbara Blackie provided some of the preparatory dressage training.

Long time ago but still great memories. I think Kaye Cottle won the A1 Trophy that year. We went ok but not in the money. Think I may have felled quite a bit of timber with a tired horse in the show jumping!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/08/2019 at 6:46 AM, curious said:

Somehow accidentally stumbled on this old thread. And now the threepeat!

Traveled at least once on the Lyttleton-Wellington ferry. 1971. Not quite sure but I think it was the Rangatira? Quite flash in them days. A member of the Canterbury-Westland Pony Club Championship team headed for Masterton. We stayed in a house on the Williams' Te Parae property for the course of the event. Team coach was Mavis Harris who trained a couple of pretty good gallopers around that time in Donnybrook Fair and classy sprinter The Blues. Now centurion thoroughbred trainer Barbara Blackie provided some of the preparatory dressage training.

Long time ago but still great memories. I think Kaye Cottle won the A1 Trophy that year. We went ok but not in the money. Think I may have felled quite a bit of timber with a tired horse in the show jumping!

Good stuff,  Curious, wonderful times.

I remember Barbara judging my dressage in events,  she was always very kind to me as I recall.  I never got to the P.C champs,  could have gone as an individual but Dad said I wasn't good enough and he wasn't wasting the money...!   always called it as he saw it,  my old man...

Mavis' son Chris trained thoroughbreds until recently,  has given up now,  sick of battling ever-increasing costs with no light at the end of the tunnel.