Bit Of A Yarn

1984 NZ Derby

Gavin

won by Naval Officer. That of course was the Derby where Liquid Lightning and Richard Brosnan fell and several others were bought down going past the post the first time. Just looking at the replay again, I can't help wonder why the race was not called off shortly after the carnage occurred?  There must have been at least 15 people on the track plus a dog when the remaining runners went around the carnage with a round to go. Those who backed Naval Officer would likely not have wanted the race called off but was there much discussion at the time about the decision to let the race continue? I remember the race well but there was no online blogs in 1984 to express opinions. Safe to assume that had this race occurred in 2018, it would have been immediately called off and rightly so. It seemed farcical to let it continue?  

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

won by Naval Officer. That of course was the Derby where Liquid Lightning and Richard Brosnan fell and several others were bought down going past the post the first time. Just looking at the replay again, I can't help wonder why the race was not called off shortly after the carnage occurred?  There must have been at least 15 people on the track plus a dog when the remaining runners went around the carnage with a round to go. Those who backed Naval Officer would likely not have wanted the race called off but was there much discussion at the time about the decision to let the race continue? I remember the race well but there was no online blogs in 1984 to express opinions. Safe to assume that had this race occurred in 2018, it would have been immediately called off and rightly so. It seemed farcical to let it continue?  

I remember backing Logan dryham in that Derby, yes pretty sure your right, the race would be called off nowadays!

The first comment under the clip by David Tangye is very interesting.

Nice to finally see this after so many years. Liquid Lightning (Andy) was owned by my father. He told me when I when to stay a few weeks later what happened. So for the record: he said Andy jumped the shadow that was coming off a light post (or the finish post) in the afternoon sun. He was sure Andy would have recovered as he was 'good on his feet', but as he slowed suddenly, the horse behind barrelled into the back of his sulky and knocked him forward into a nosedive. It's hard to see this in the race video due to change of camera at the critical point, but the replay helps see it. Anyway, he said Charlie Hunter, who was driving the horse behind, did apologise to Richard Brosnan (or Dad, I can't remember which) for not looking where they were going. I assume Charlie was glancing to see who was outside him at the critical moment. It would have only been a one second glance at an unfortunate time, but it gave him no time left to pull his horse to the outside of Andy. Even had he been watching Andy jump, it was debatable that he could have avoided running into the sulky anyway. As I understand it, they were not interested in speculating what might have or might have not resulted had Andy's sulky not been impacted. Dad certainly felt terrible about the accident, especially that the top horses never got their one chance at winning the Derby.  Months later, when Andy raced at Addington the next time, he did the same jump as he crossed the finish line. I saw that video ages ago, and remember the crowd's audible gasp as he did it, but he did not fall (I think he recovered gait quite quickly. I also think he won that race.) Soon after, they shifted the source of the shadow (moved the finish post back from the track?), so that shadow would no longer be there.

• Like 1

Funny thing, i was there that day, sitting up in public stand with a few mates. The crowd stood up, and you could really hear the gasps. 

I have seen replay of the crash many times, and gavin is correct, somebody had a bloody dog out there on track, horse coming back around other way, and horse driverless racing in field? 

Yes, when you think about it, race should have been called off, bloody dangerous

• Like 1

1984 JOHN BRANDON NZ DERBY

The 1984 John Brandon NZ Derby, which promised so much with one of the best fields of three-year-olds assembled for the event for some time, ended tragically for most at the end of only 200 metres when a spectacular smash eliminated all but five of the 14 horse field. 

Horses, drivers and sulkies went in all directions as Liquid Lightning fell when second in the open, bringing down Tucker's Rule, Freightman, Ruthless, Logan Dryham, Kanturk and Roydon Glen, while Slugger had to be pulled to a dead stop and King Alba lost his driver after almost avoiding the melee. Three drivers, Charlie Hunter (Tucker's Rule), Barry Clark (Logan Dryham) and Colin De Filippi (Freightman) were taken to hospital after the event. Hunter, who crawled from under the wreckage of horses and sulkies, was the most seriously injured and was reported to be in a fair condition at Princess Margaret Hospital. 

Liquid Lightning, who fell when he attempted to jump a shadow, became entangled with Roydon Glen, and these two horses lay on the track while the remaining five runners completed the course.

Victory went to the most loosely assessed horse in thr field, the Southland owned and bred Naval Officer, who joined Mike De Filippi's Broadfield stable prior to the Easter Meeting, and finished fifth in the first two legs of the John Brandon Triple Crown on the first two nights of the meeting. 

The race started sensationally enough when one of the favourites, King Alba, broke in the run up and was many lengths behind at the start. After the smash, Josephine Bret, Lord Louie, Paleface Tryax, Naval Officer and Crowhurst were the only runners left in the contest at the end of 300 metres, with Naval Officer enjoying the run of the race on the outer from the 1600 metres. The field had to swing wide out on the track to miss the fallen runners with a round to go, when a loose dog on the track almost cause more problems. 

Naval Officer finished best in the run home, winning by two lengths from the Southland filly Josephine Bret, who just held out Paleface Tryax by a neck. Crowhurst was nearly two lengths back fourth clear of Lord Louie. Naval Officer recorded a smart 3:22.5, a mile rate od 2:05.4, which was a good effort considering the field had to run very wide twice.

Owned by Brian O'Meara, Ray Taiaroa and Dave Edwards, Naval Officer is one of the first crop of the Meadow Skipper stallion Midshipman, who stood two seasons at Nevele R Stud in Christchurch, a season at John Butcher's in Cambridge and a season at Grant Sim's in Invercargill. He will stand at Colin Chandler's Matamata property for the 1984 stud season.

Naval Officer is out of the Smooth Hanover mare Smooth Robyn, from Robyn Lee, by Light Brigade from Night Sister, by U Scott. Runner up Josephine Bret is by Knowing Bret from the Young Charles mare Young Charlotte, While Paleface Tryax is another son of Midshipman from the Hal Tryax mare Brigitte Bardot. 

Credit: Tony Williams writing in NZ Trotting Calender