Bit Of A Yarn

Online Radio.

Have a listen to the tennis online from France  now and see how online radio works, then listen to racing online from the TAB, chalk and cheese, I've always said the TAB is treating listeners as idiots but we seem to accept mediocrity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

I've always said the TAB is treating listeners as idiots but we seem to accept mediocrity.

Many , many haven't , thousands of small/medium punter walked , hence the poor turnovers . Only the old farts putting up with the mediocrity because if we stop , we die .

• Like 4

6 hours ago, nomates said:

Many , many haven't , thousands of small/medium punter walked , hence the poor turnovers . Only the old farts putting up with the mediocrity because if we stop , we die .

Hey nomates, you  dropped off the radar for a while, was wondering if you were coming back, not that much has changed.                         

I often  listen online to sport, football and the tennis, it's interesting the number of e mails they get and read out from around the world and what the people are doing so tv is not a option at the time.

I think racing understimates and is doing it self a disservice, at the weekend especially with crap coverage, you know my thoughts about that radio station beginning with s that I listen only to occasionally as a sports station, they are ok, racing dont seem to fit their agenda it seems.

The tennis is a world class event, lots of the late saturday racing from oz is too, the TAB need to pull finger on this one,(my thoughts).

I believe a online  radio station on saturdays and big days seems logical, days like today, who cares.

You suggested the TAB simulcast both channels separately, good idea, cant be hard, the present simulcast is shit, radio is to inform and entertain and this industry that relies solely on the gambling dollar needs to engage as many as it can.

Just a add on why racing dont have a big prize similar to lotto to engage people at the weekend also baffles me, lots of people I know will buy lotto or powerball tickets in the hope of being lucky,or rich, even I do,  fuck all even know where the races are being run, probably except for a certain race from Melbourne in early November.

All very fine channeling lots of funds into Trackside TV but audio coverage will engage more followers, a lot I think have been lost, maybe for good.

I'm warming more to online radio, still like traditional radio but times change, a balance between both forms cant be that hard to implement, simple really.

The cancellation and subsequent disposal of Trackside Radio to SENZ was morally criminal. It meant a short term cost saving with no long term examination or plan to benefit the industry. A kneejerk reaction to COVID with no real insight into how the pandemic would affect betting. The sale was something McKenzie could say he achieved if one can call destroying the industry an achievement.

When will the rank and file sloggers come to realize that paying ridiculously inflated salaries to management doesn't benefit them at all.

Developing online radio in conjunction with traditional would have had beneficial results.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

42 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Developing online radio in conjunction with traditional would have had beneficial results.

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Wouldn't be hard and wouldn't be costly  to satisfy race followers., that saturday afternoon show knocking off at 5 when all the barrage of top racing from oz is just starting is mind boggling.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:45 PM, The Centaur said:

The cancellation and subsequent disposal of Trackside Radio to SENZ was morally criminal. It meant a short term cost saving with no long term examination or plan to benefit the industry. A kneejerk reaction to COVID with no real insight into how the pandemic would affect betting. The sale was something McKenzie could say he achieved if one can call destroying the industry an achievement.

When will the rank and file sloggers come to realize that paying ridiculously inflated salaries to management doesn't benefit them at all.

I think McKenzie is the most overpaid underachieving incompetent waste of space to every occupy an exec role ever.  But what was the point of radio trackside when you can just stream trackside TV on a phone? 

On 6/06/2022 at 11:33 AM, Peanut said:

I think McKenzie is the most overpaid underachieving incompetent waste of space to every occupy an exec role ever.  But what was the point of radio trackside when you can just stream trackside TV on a phone? 

I note Bernard Saundry has been appointed CEO RSN Radio in Victoria. Is this the same Saundry the "great believer" in radio who failed to raise a murmur when TAB disposed of AM/FM radio. RSN is both online and AM. 

AS the racing legislation requires TAB to consult with NZTR and other codes on important decisions I had verified proof that no formal consultations had taken place. So I complained to the Racing Minister and my complaint went directly to him. However the response showed complete naivity just basically saying TAB can do what they like. However after going to the minister it was amazing how the TAB & NZTR reacted. Initially they just ignored me. After that even had a long personal meeting with the head of TAB broadcasting at their request.

• Like 2

“RSN has been pivotal in showcasing and promoting thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing to generations of racing fans and punters and I’m keen to ensure that it remains the station of choice into the future."

H'mm thats Saundry in Australia. What a hypocrite. 

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

“RSN has been pivotal in showcasing and promoting thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing to generations of racing fans and punters and I’m keen to ensure that it remains the station of choice into the future."

Sums him up , a fuckwit . I would say we are well rid but the new man doesn't seem any better .

• Like 2

On 8/06/2022 at 2:36 PM, nomates said:

Sums him up , a fuckwit . I would say we are well rid but the new man doesn't seem any better .

Open minded on your "analysis"

What I can't understand is if Saundry is such an expert on radio where was he when consulting with the TAB was required. The other possibility is was he compromised with connections to SENZ or even RSN whereby allowing one of them to buy up the frequencies?

• Champ Post 1

21 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Open minded on your "analysis"

What I can't understand is if Saundry is such an expert on radio where was he when consulting with the TAB was required. The other possibility is was he compromised with connections to SENZ or even RSN whereby allowing one of them to buy up the frequencies?

One would assume the TAB big wigs thought they knew best and didn't need anyone's input , if they even knew he had radio experience . TAB owned frequencies , felt they no longer required them and made a business decision to dispose of them . Was it a good business decision ? Was it a business decision based on sound financial data ? 

So many questions , very few answers , we can only speculate . 

• Like 1

On 8/06/2022 at 1:12 PM, The Centaur said:

RSN has been pivotal in showcasing and promoting thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing to generations of racing fans and punters and I’m keen to ensure that it remains the station of choice into the future."

Lets just replace RSN

Trackside Radio has been pivotal in showcasing and promoting thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing to generations of racing fans and punters and I’m keen to ensure that it remains the station of choice into the future."

4 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Lets just replace RSN

Trackside Radio has been pivotal in showcasing and promoting thoroughbred, harness and greyhound racing to generations of racing fans and punters and I’m keen to ensure that it remains the station of choice into the future."

Right now,its early, im in bed, got the radio on zb,, it informs and entertains, i maintain and always will maintain that no radio racing is detrimental, more people would engage with racing, on radio, not every truck driver, farmer, office worker, factory worker etc etc can spend all day watching tv but its gone now, trackside radio, i use to listen to trackside everyday, coudnt be bothered now, ive just moved on in my listening habits, once one disengages , pretty hard to re engage.

However, as i stated at the start of the forum, the tennis online is a brilliant concept but this is for four 2 week tournaments,  so there is not a saturation of it, racing at least if saturday only could have about 8 or 9 hours of good radio commentary and info, ,[ after all test cricket gets about 7 hours for 5 days]  maybe online as well as through senz or maybe some other media,seems simple is simple.

We are actually very lucky with the internet, its unlimited really but sometimes we are also spending all our lives on our devices and thats not entirely healthy, its all about balance, for some the internet is a escape from reality,for some it is their reality.

On 6/06/2022 at 11:33 AM, Peanut said:

Stream trackside is terrible

A lot of NZ does not get good internet so cannot stream and in the car radio TAB received a high % of the audience .

AM radio worked through out NZ except no coverage in Blenheim 

So we threw away a great vehicle  to keep punters and promote new punters 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, LongOwner said:

Stream trackside is terrible

A lot of NZ does not get good internet so cannot stream and in the car radio TAB received a high % of the audience .

AM radio worked through out NZ except no coverage in Blenheim 

So we threw away a great vehicle  to keep punters and promote new punters 

I maintain more people would engage with racing through radio than tv, radio is everywhere, my thoughts, I use to listen to trackside radio everyday, do I miss it, yes but not everyday,I'm not really interested in all the midweek Ozzie stuff these days, only the big meets at weekends, I listen a lot to zb when I get sick of that I listen to a bit of music, Other things in life as well, remember.

In some ways covid was a convienent way to push the reset button, radio sport and trackside radio wise.

Be fair to say I'd say a heap of young people may not know what a am radio is, or a CD player,(maybe they think a CD player is a cricketer for Central Districts), the stream is poor but i don't bother  with it unless there is a specific race.

One thing that astounds me is the number of people texting radio stations, each text is 20cents, the phone company must love it.

Edited by mikeynz

i note my friends at TAB have issued me a 10 dollar bonus, gee talk about giving on one hand and taking on the other lol.
Now what to do 

Its a  good gesture, ive kept them going long enough nice to get some back, long may it continue.

Edited by mikeynz