Bit Of A Yarn

Why do some drivers do it so late???

In so many harness races, I see drivers getting the whip out and then pulling the deafeners at about the 100 metre mark!

Seems to me to be far too late to be mucking around trying to find the whip and then letting the horse be able to hear.

Seen it so many times and as a punter would prefer my driver to be far more organised!

Surely better to have the whip in their hand by the 400 metres?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Agree Brodie

Plugs out and your horse up on the bit before you pull, makes a world of difference, got taught that as a youngster.

Never been a harness driver obviously, but time and time again drivers are so busy fiddling around trying to find the whip in the sheet and then pulling the plugs and it is far too late to make mjch difference!
Defies logic not having  the whip in your hand by the quarter ready to pull the plugs when time is right.

Continually you see drivers run out of room cos they have buggered around and lose their compass as where they are!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Never been a harness driver obviously, but time and time again drivers are so busy fiddling around trying to find the whip in the sheet and then pulling the plugs and it is far too late to make mjch difference!
Defies logic not having  the whip in your hand by the quarter ready to pull the plugs when time is right.

Continually you see drivers run out of room cos they have buggered around and lose their compass as where they are!!

what's the fine if you lose your compass

• Haha 1