Bit Of A Yarn

Tauranga

Looking through the Tauranga fields I see the Kiwifruit Cup a once fairly decent winter staying race now racing for $35k and the R65 Benchmark stayers racing for $30k, half the field in the Kiwifruit cup are R65 horses , I know we can get thin for quality in NZ , but why would you bother.

At least the F&M race has maintained some status.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Huey said:

Yet only 1 horse rated over 84 , Jodelin Gal on 89 , the only horse in the field that has true black type ability that i can see . But we need to get used to it , as i keep posting the numbers of fillies being sold out of NZ now is an avalanche .

And how long till Jodelin Gal joins her 1/2 brother bankers Choice in the Waller stable . She's racing for 60k today but can race for 140k every Saturday in Sydney .

The whole industry is shrinking , and it's shrinking northwards .

12 minutes ago, nomates said:

Yet only 1 horse rated over 84 , Jodelin Gal on 89 , the only horse in the field that has true black type ability that i can see . But we need to get used to it , as i keep posting the numbers of fillies being sold out of NZ now is an avalanche .

And how long till Jodelin Gal joins her 1/2 brother bankers Choice in the Waller stable . She's racing for 60k today but can race for 140k every Saturday in Sydney .

The whole industry is shrinking , and it's shrinking northwards .

Only 1 R65 horse in the field, in NZracing these days that amounts to a fairly decent field ; 0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Looking through the Tauranga fields I see the Kiwifruit Cup a once fairly decent winter staying race now racing for $35k and the R65 Benchmark stayers racing for $30k, half the field in the Kiwifruit cup are R65 horses , I know we can get thin for quality in NZ , but why would you bother.

No respect for tradition these days. The Parliamentary and NI Challenge Stakes recently were an embarrassment. Imagine if you had a photo on the wall of your horse winning those races 30 years ago. Visitors these days would think "what's the big deal?".

Most of that Kiwifruit Cup field wouldn't have got a start 30 years ago and none would have been competitive. I remember very clearly the year Quasim beat Watch Officer. Lots of other good winners too.

Ironically, many horses are doing quite well in the current enviroment. They are getting to race in quite weak fields for reasonable stakes. With only one or possibly two exceptions, none of that WFA field would be competitive in Aussie, even in a race of equivalent stake. Here they are racing for black type as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doomed said:

Here they are racing for black type as well.

Don't hold your breath on a large portion of black type holding onto it's status , every black type race in this country from G1 down to listed runs well below it's required ratings average . In a few years our current G1 races will be struggling to hold on to a G3 status , because they are currently hardly holding onto that G3 level of rating . 

It's all well saying this race and that race can be black type but overseas they aren't stupid , they know when it's coming out of a cornflakes packet , they will hold no weight at all .

10 minutes ago, nomates said:

Don't hold your breath on a large portion of black type holding onto it's status , every black type race in this country from G1 down to listed runs well below it's required ratings average . In a few years our current G1 races will be struggling to hold on to a G3 status , because they are currently hardly holding onto that G3 level of rating . 

It's all well saying this race and that race can be black type but overseas they aren't stupid , they know when it's coming out of a cornflakes packet , they will hold no weight at all .

Melody Belle, and even Avantage, tend to indicate there is still value in black type, even if it is weak black type.

6 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Melody Belle, and even Avantage, tend to indicate there is still value in black type, even if it is weak black type.

The majority of the black type they won here i.e. G1's won't be around shortly , all the G1's are on warnings and if you look at the average ratings for those races this season they are lower than the previous seasons , it's a downward spiral . We can call them G1's if we want but internationally they won't be recognised . All Black types below G1's are even worse . 

• Like 1