NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Save The West Coast Racing!

Newmarket

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Good work Curious, i like the fighting Erin Brockovich types, lets all get ready to rumble!

Yeahh, Erin's a hero of mine. Pity Winnie didn't get someone independent like her to do the review. We might then be getting our head round some real solutions by now.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Reefton said:

The Reefton Jockey Club would like to announce the name of the last race next January 9th in advance. The 'thanks for nothing John and Winston Handicap'

And for you chappies who enjoy a bit of Molloy fizz unleashed on a hapless individual be sure to be there for the final President's speech - I am intending to be a touch inflammatory on the topic of a certain politician.

I will be there, if you go down, you go down swinging, I for one won't be going to Kumara, even if it's the last one standing, to be honest the facilities the worst on the coast in my opinion, pity they don't have a running rail on the Westport track, after they had cyclone and a metre of saltwater through the place, they still had the trots 6 weeks later.

14 minutes ago, Shad said:

I will be there, if you go down, you go down swinging, I for one won't be going to Kumara, even if it's the last one standing, to be honest the facilities the worst on the coast in my opinion, pity they don't have a running rail on the Westport track, after they had cyclone and a metre of saltwater through the place, they still had the trots 6 weeks later.

Hear Hear. 

Lets start some petitions 

There is a lot of missinformation in this report.It says Rangiora is only used for training ;Rangiora is the largest trials centre in the south island,I see that when they visited Gore they didn't even get out of the car ,let alone walk on the track.The Kumara thing is just a joke.No horse or people accomodation let alone running four meetings when they struggle  to run one. Blenheim,I love the races up there but they struggle for horses and without K Myers it wouldn't happen so how long will it be before he doesn;t go.                                                                                                                I see they intend to take ownership of these tracks plus any cash assets they have.Good luck with that.They also intend to mortgage these assets to accumulate the money required.What a bloody joke !!!They have wasted away all the assets that the racing industry had in previous years and now have these huge debts.It is always easy to spend someone elses money and they are certainly good at that.I am fully aware that some tracks have to go but their choices are poor,with not a lot of thought.As for Winston Peters,Do we really think he will get in at the next elections,It was barely by the skin of his teeth 12months ago but he is very good at holding people to ransom thats for sure.He is now doing this to the racing industry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, curious said:

Priceless, Foxton was also marked as Training but also run a lot of trials. I think that's included in that designation. Will Canterbury trials be at Riccarton if this goes ahead?

Wait...I just saw this?

We assume that Wyndham racecourse (Council Lease) and Rangiora racecourse (7/12 owned by Canterbury JC) remain closed as racing venues and that the Canterbury JC’s interest in Rangiora is sold.

Does the CJC own an interest in Rangiora?

17 minutes ago, curious said:

Wait...I just saw this?

We assume that Wyndham racecourse (Council Lease) and Rangiora racecourse (7/12 owned by Canterbury JC) remain closed as racing venues and that the Canterbury JC’s interest in Rangiora is sold.

Does the CJC own an interest in Rangiora?

This from the annual report. Another stuff up?

8. INVESTMENTS IN ASSOCIATES AND JOINT VENTURES
The Club holds interest in Rangiora Racecourse over which the Club exercises
significant influence demonstrated by its ability to participate in, but not
control, the financial and operating policy decisions of the investees

2 hours ago, curious said:

This from the annual report. Another stuff up?

8. INVESTMENTS IN ASSOCIATES AND JOINT VENTURES
The Club holds interest in Rangiora Racecourse over which the Club exercises
significant influence demonstrated by its ability to participate in, but not
control, the financial and operating policy decisions of the investees

I think the CJC and North Canterbury racing amalgamated didn't they?

which would mean that Rangiora is indeed owned by the CJC at least in part

Bit of an issue with the dual code clubs - like us.  We are 50/50 and presumably when legislate to transfer ownership to NZTR the other half will go to HRNZ.  Doubt they(HRNZ) will mess about long before relieving the RTC of its permit.  Sad really.

In the meantime though of course the Buller District Council will not be slow in revoking our rates exemption so I suppose Winnie and the boys will be picking up the tab(along with their share of the insurance rates and repairs etc) .  Cos we ain't paying it if we don't own it.

Bloody hard to sell land on the Coast at present especially when it is only a half share you are selling 

Yes Rangiora is indeed part 'owned' by the CJC.( by dubious means =but we won't go there)The other part is owned by Rangiora Harness Club and IF the CJC choose to sell it will go to RHC not HRNZ.We run the majority of CJC trials at Rangiora with a few being picked up by MOT.The OTB (sb;s) run trials or workouts every week,so it is a very busy place.The trainers there are both TB and SB.Rangiora has a large population now after the earthquakes.The subdivision is right up to the racecourse now.You wouldn't recognise it now Curious.

26 minutes ago, curious said:

Pretty sure that the "interest" is a loan from the NC and Amberley clubs to the CJC. Didn't know you could sell stuff you borrow but don't own.

Correct when I look at the incorporated societies register. CJC own it but owe NCRC $960k.   But if the powers that be control all assets on windup then they own the loan as well.  The CJC are hardly going to encourage dissent among whatever members the NCRC still has is it?

So net result forgive the loan, sell the land and piss it up against the wall in traditional style.

13 minutes ago, priceless said:

Yes Rangiora is indeed part 'owned' by the CJC.( by dubious means =but we won't go there)The other part is owned by Rangiora Harness Club and IF the CJC choose to sell it will go to RHC not HRNZ.We run the majority of CJC trials at Rangiora with a few being picked up by MOT.The OTB (sb;s) run trials or workouts every week,so it is a very busy place.The trainers there are both TB and SB.Rangiora has a large population now after the earthquakes.The subdivision is right up to the racecourse now.You wouldn't recognise it now Curious.

Surely though priceless under the new legislation NZTR will acquire the CJC share and HRNZ the RHC share? Or is Winnie only going to steal the land from the club's he wants to relieve of their assets?

I  note also in the report that justification for assets being owned by NZTR is

"The Clubs have only continued to exist because they have been licensed to hold race meetings by the relevant authority and on which meetings there is licensed legal betting that generates almost all their income."

This is not correct is it?

Profit on betting is only a small part of the income of most clubs.  Profit on food, drink and hospitality packages is a big contributor.

I suppose it could be argued that this could not be earned unless there was a race meeting

Can of worms

36 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Correct when I look at the incorporated societies register. CJC own it but owe NCRC $960k.   But if the powers that be control all assets on windup then they own the loan as well.  The CJC are hardly going to encourage dissent among whatever members the NCRC still has is it?

So net result forgive the loan, sell the land and piss it up against the wall in traditional style.

Yes, agree it's a moot point Reefton. Especially since the CJC board is also the board of the Amberley and NC clubs! Hororata and the Riccarton Turf Club as well from memory.

34 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Surely though priceless under the new legislation NZTR will acquire the CJC share and HRNZ the RHC share? Or is Winnie only going to steal the land from the club's he wants to relieve of their assets?

It will apply to Harness and Greyhound Clubs as well from my read. Wouldn't really work in jointly owned dual code facilities otherwise, would it? If it goes in the Act as proposed, it will apply to the assets of all registered clubs won't it?

Actually just read it again.. Does only say thoroughbred tracks and assets. How will that work?

So, we believe it will be absolutely essential to the successful future of the New Zealand thoroughbred racing industry that the Racing Act 2003, and any other relevant legislation, be amended to provide unambiguously for the transfer to NZTR of title to all thoroughbred racecourses and training facilities currently owned freehold by Race Clubs and also ownership of all net assets.

57 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Winnie is saying the CJC should sell their share of the place.The agreement states that the shares are to be offered to the other party.

So are we saying that NZTR could have ownership control of ALL TB tracks (or part thereof) in NZ.If that is so it is VERY scary knowing NZTR's record.I do wonder if this is the case are the remaining tracks aware of this !!!Any track could be sold up when NZTR are short of dosh.Clarify this ???

1 minute ago, priceless said:

So are we saying that NZTR could have ownership control of ALL TB tracks (or part thereof) in NZ.If that is so it is VERY scary knowing NZTR's record.I do wonder if this is the case are the remaining tracks aware of this !!!Any track could be sold up when NZTR are short of dosh.Clarify this ???

That's the proposal. To write into the Act that title to all thoroughbred racecourses and training facilities currently owned freehold by Race Clubs and also ownership of all net assets be transferred to NZTR.

Scary indeed!

40 minutes ago, hesi said:

I  note also in the report that justification for assets being owned by NZTR is

"The Clubs have only continued to exist because they have been licensed to hold race meetings by the relevant authority and on which meetings there is licensed legal betting that generates almost all their income."

This is not correct is it?

Profit on betting is only a small part of the income of most clubs.  Profit on food, drink and hospitality packages is a big contributor.

I suppose it could be argued that this could not be earned unless there was a race meeting

Can of worms

Whether the Club benefitted from the betting revenue or not what did the club's that don't own their courses do with their benefit? And anyway most clubs pass on any tote revenue to the stakeholders and the admin costs(like insurance repairs and upkeep) come from sponsorship and fundraising(and a fair chunk from voluntary labour as well). More bureaucratic BS to justify idiot recommendations. 

And I trust that if the land owned by clubs is to go to NZTR then the laws of natural justice say that the other clubs with an interest in land will have to transfer that interest as well?  So the Trust that owns Riccarton will have as its tenant NZTR? But I should think that lease deal is exclusive to the CJC so a variation of the lease could mean that the Trustees could rachet up the rent?  If they are allowed to lease to another party anyway.

And what of New Plymouth where I understand the course is council owned? Will the NPCC be inclined to be so generous with a national  body as it is with a local sporting organisation? Especially when the prick sponsoring the legislation has just stood by while his dope smoking green mates have done their best to root the local economy?  

And the Gisborne course(forgive me if they are for the chop)  - don't they have deal with the guy who is growing the grapes for a perpetual right to use the race track - he might be less inclined to cooperate with NZTR. All these leasing and reserve arrangements that exist could be quite  a can of worms for wanky Win.  Mind you he probably won't be around to worry about it in two years ( thank God).

18 minutes ago, priceless said:

Winnie is saying the CJC should sell their share of the place.The agreement states that the shares are to be offered to the other party.

I can see the RJC being able to front with the millions of dollars Rangiora is probably worth.  Given the subdivisions in the locale it won't be cheap.  The CJC/NZTR  won't give it away and anyway if HRNZ own the rest they might well get memorized by the telephone numbers as well(though I believe they are a little more in touch with the grass roots than NZTR).