Bit Of A Yarn

Sunday Maths Lesson For The Top Dog

Yankiwi

Through channels, I have passed along this same math lesson on at least two occasions to the top dog Steward of the greyhound code. I also understand that my math lesson has been upheld when put before the JCA.

I'll give another reminder, for all of those with interest in the code. My next step will be to discredit the NZRB's Glenda & John, after recent claim that the RIU works, which obviously in this case it doesn't.

Class, take your seats.

On 5th September a greyhound was down in weight by 2.2kg's.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/catch-the-action/13213/stewards-report.aspx

Judicial report: HOMEBUSH SATARA in Race 4 was down in weight by 2.2 kilograms and this was intentional.

This is in breach of 45.11 of GRNZ rules.

45.11 Where the weight of a Greyhound recorded at a Meeting varies by more than one and a half (1.5) kilograms from the weight recorded in a Race in which it last performed that Greyhound shall be permitted to compete in the current Race but the Trainer of the Greyhound shall be guilty of an Offence unless permission has been granted under Rule 45.12.

Now there is written in to the rules an instance where the Steward may choose to wave the charge, if the dog hadn't raced in the 28 days prior.

45.12 Where a Greyhound is presented for a Race and such Greyhound is competing for a Trainer other than the Trainer at its last start the Stewards shall waive any Penalty that would otherwise be imposed for any weight variance.  Permission shall be granted by Stewards for a Greyhound recording a weight variance of more than one and a half (1.5) kilograms to start in a Race provided that such Greyhound has not performed in any Race during the preceding 28 days, and no fine shall be imposed.  For the avoidance of doubt, the day of the dog's last start shall be counted as a day for the purposes of the 28 days. 

https://www.grnz.co.nz/greyhounds/profiles.aspx?AnimalID=30411

image.png.96ec81d243e0162fba6b6bb9c99efa6f.png

So, what was the date of 28 days preceding 5 September (the race day)?

Here is where the challenges of math seem to become an issue, so I've skipped all the fancy number stuff & put the lesson together in pictures.

september-2018-calendar.jpg.aef21a91ac4b7efca7f76a2e0547f94a.jpg

august-2018-calendar.jpg.443b01eba2d507e00f343fe90f30b882.jpg

So yes this dog did race in the preceding 28 days & the trainer should have been charged, yet again.

Disclaimer, no dog were killed (that I'm aware of) on a ferry during the preparation of this maths lesson.

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Honestly said:

Read the bottom line of 45.12 

I've read it many times.

It clearly states that 8 August (the day of dogs last start) counts as a day & it is the 28th day prior to 5 September.

The JCA has previously upheld this.

Edited by Yankiwi

The dog raced on the 8th August, as in your calendar above shows you have counted the 8th August from there 28 days till the 4th of September. The 29th day being the 5 th of September the day the dog had its next start hence the reason being no fine . It’s wirks exactly the same is having a bitch in season or a stand down from racing 28days including the day the dog was last presented to race. 

Permission shall be granted by Stewards for a Greyhound recording a weight variance of more than one and a half (1.5) kilograms to start in a Race provided that such Greyhound has not performed in any Race during the preceding 28 days, and no fine shall be imposed.

4 Sept is the first day preceding.

3 Sept is the second day preceding.

2 Sept is the third day preceding.

…..

8 Aug is the twenty-eight day preceding.

The dog raced in the 28th day preceding.....

For the avoidance of doubt, the day of the dog's last start shall be counted as a day for the purposes of the 28 days.

8 Aug counts as a day...

The rule doesn't say that the day of the race in question (5 Sept) counts as a day preceding itself... That'd be illogical.

My last shot at getting you to see the light...

….during the preceding 28 days...

What was the first day PRECEDING 5th Sept?

Sept 4th was the first day to precede Sept 5th, right?

If you can not understand this, don't bother reading any further.

The 5th didn't precede itself...

The 5th does not count as a preceding day...

The count back starts on Sept 4th as in the calendar I had prepared.

Edited by Yankiwi

Omg you can not be charged on the 4th as that was not when the dog was set down to race. The day it last started, last race record is the day it starts from till the day it was next raced ie had its race weight record. 29 days . Hence the reason for no fine, clearly you have phoned the riu so what did they tell you ? 

2 hours ago, Honestly said:

From the 8th August till the 4th of September is 28 days ? Yes.

From the 8th of August till the 5th of September is 29 days ? Yes .  

Yes to both.

From the 8th August till the 4th of September is 28 days - The 28 days previous to the race day.....9_9

Edited by Yankiwi

Guest CrossCodes
13 minutes ago, Honestly said:

Tell me this if a dog gets a stand down after racing Tuesday and gets 7 days when can it race again ? Tuesday or Wednesday? The riu said he was wrong ! 

It can race Tuesday so I've been told. The stand down starts on the day it was given.

So I presume the same works with the weight, the first day being the last start weight on 8th August, 28 days after that is the Tuesday 4th, so it's next start which was on the 5th is the '29th' day.

I've said the RIU is wrong.

It's all in black & white, you just have to read & understand it.

"provided that such Greyhound has not performed in any Race during the preceding 28 days"

What if the rule read "provided that such Greyhound has not performed in any Race during the preceding 1 day"?

Since today is 11 Sept, what is that preceding day to 11 Sept?

Edited by Yankiwi

10 minutes ago, Honestly said:

You must be taking the piss . The lawyer has been all over this and it is what it is . The dog has 28 days end of,it can start on the 29th day because.... the rules clearly state “up to and including” 

It does not say the precedung 28 days and the current day. Only the preceding. Makes sense to any sane person. Any other ruling on this particular issue is magic wand stuff

Edited by BitofaLegend

So because I don’t agree with you, you have a go and say that I’m not sane ? Like I said lawyers have been over this and other rules just because a couple of people don’t agree with it, no matter how much they jump up and down isn’t going to change the fact. The Nzgra board make the rules riu in force them.

• Champ Post 1

Lawyers are not judges.

Lawyers are trained to create an argument for either side of a disagreement.

If I was to "pay" a lawyer to create an "opinion" on this matter, I'm sure he would side with me. That's how they make money!

The rule is what is says. The RIU has no more right to make a judgement over the matter than I do.

If this were put to the JCA, I'd have little faith that they'd dig into it any further than coming up with the end result that the RIU and/or GRNZ wanted.

It all comes down to corruption within the self governing code. 

By the way, does anyone know what the date was in the day preceding today?

Edited by Yankiwi