Bit Of A Yarn

Take After Me - Wonder Horse!!

Take after Me started life as a pacer and won a few races probably 4 or 5!

Was a good effort for a pacer that was reasonably average at that gait.

The trainers, the Scotts then launched Take After Me on a trotting career which would be very rare for a Holmes Hanover?

Take After Me today is now an aged 12 year old Holmes Hanover trotter and has had near on 200 starts over several seasons as a trotter and won its 14th race at this gait!

Hasnt got great high speed but just seems to try his heart out and hasnt given up the will to win, even though he has had heaps of starts at both gaits!

The horse foes out of form from time to time and then all of a sudden he is back in form and winning in a class that suits him.
Kudos must go to the Scotts for continuing to get the best out of a horse totally bred to trot and for keeping the horse able to continue to win over a career spanning approx. 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Not a patch on Alexy.

Alexy had a helluva lot of starts and wins but they were all pacing as he was bred to do!

Take After Me has won 14 at a gait that he wasnt bred to be able to do, after winning several times at pacing.

Jerry Springer?  that Leo O’reilly trained was also very successful at both pacing and then converted to trotting for many wins!

Jerry Springer ? i believe had far more speed and ability but Take After Me has just been persevered with and wins on guts and determination!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Jerry Springer?  that Leo O’reilly trained was also very successful at both pacing and then converted to trotting for many wins!

Jerry Springer ? i believe had far more speed and ability but Take After Me has just been persevered with and wins on guts and determination!

Hahaha , close there Brodster . JERRY GARCIA is the one you after though. foaled 2009.

Jerry Springer , the American TV host , passed away recently in April, might be why you are thinking of him. His show in the 90's was stone raving crazy. used to have a good laugh catching it in the lunch break sometimes. a real hoot.

Jerry Garcia record. Interesting he won around the same prize-money amount both pacing and then trotting 💰.

Life Time
LT Pacer 58 starts 9 wins 4 x 2nds 9 x 3rds   76,920       
LT Trotting 115 st's 6 wins 14 x 2nds 16 x 3rds   79,630       
LT Total both gaits 173 st's 15 wins          18 x 2nds 25 x 3rds    money won 156,551

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Hahaha , close there Brodster . JERRY GARCIA is the one you after though. foaled 2009.

Jerry Springer , the American TV host , passed away recently in April, might be why you are thinking of him. His show in the 90's was stone raving crazy. used to have a good laugh catching it in the lunch break sometimes. a real hoot.

Jerry Garcia record. Interesting he won around the same prize-money amount both pacing and then trotting 💰.

Life Time
LT Pacer 58 starts 9 wins 4 x 2nds 9 x 3rds   76,920       
LT Trotting 115 st's 6 wins 14 x 2nds 16 x 3rds   79,630       
LT Total both gaits 173 st's 15 wins          18 x 2nds 25 x 3rds    money won 156,551

Lol yeah I was trying to think what it was, knew it wasnt Springer thats why I had the question mark lol

Actually had several good collects off Jerry Garcia!

Yeah saw Jerry Springer moved on recently, was a great show if you wanted a laugh Gamma.

Strietross had a lot of speed, my point is that Take After Me doesnt have that raw speed at either gait really, just a great trier who the trainers persevered with, where many wouldve retired due to its age.

You only need to look at Take After Me trotting, his legs are going twice as quick as the others but only doing the same  speed!

• Like 2

Not uncommon for some horses to switch their gait

And not uncommon for some to race week in week out and pick up a good number of wins, the ratings system allows this.

Still don't change the fact horses like Take After Me, Alex, just good honest tryers 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brodie said:

Alexy had a helluva lot of starts and wins but they were all pacing as he was bred to do!

Take After Me has won 14 at a gait that he wasnt bred to be able to do, after winning several times at pacing.

Jerry Garcia,and yes he went well in both gaits.

• Like 1