Bit Of A Yarn

Silver Collar meeting

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

We all know all you are and I'll give you one thing you haven't hidden.  I think though you would be better to take another approach that requires formal responses.

I don't want a response. I want action, for the good of the dogs & the industry.

Two around the board room know me personally, hell I've been to their kennels on several occasions. I haven't crossed paths with a third one in there with a coffee cup but have had multiple direct messages on BOAY with them prior to have gained their seat on the board. Those three know who they are.

The most dangerous thing reoccurring in Auckland could be rectified if someone in power had my evidence with a couple of phone calls.

I've made my offer. The balls in their court. Previously everything else I've had to say got back to them & that's what made your inbox smoke about me Chief. If they want the help, they'll get in touch. If they don't, then they'll figure it out themselves.

It only took me watching a couple of replays to narrow in on it. Silver collar Sunday, with the drone footage, sealed my belief.

Here's a hint for them of the biggest problem in Auckland, if they're too shy to get in touch.

All three track are two turn tracks of similar shape.

Addington today (3.33% chance of rail contact).

image.thumb.png.0343d1f63550b7a4066a2a521dff5f1a.png

Friday in Wanganui (3.74% chance of rail contact).

image.thumb.png.119d0519aa90c960e0c648b3f36f2fb6.png

Sunday in Auckland (17.0% chance of rail contact).

image.thumb.png.dcc19e16ba1673b12aec8081ba1dc42d.png

They can thank me later.

I would just like to say Yankiwi that I don't know who you are but, it seems you are a former licence holder who is pissed off at what has and is happening in greyhound racing.  You obviously still care for the good of the industry or you wouldn't bother posting on here or putting together statistics you have personally gathered in which I can only assume has taken you much time.

I'm a bit of a reader, researcher and always waving the flag for what is right.  The fact that GRNZ has reneged on their promises of almost a decade ago goes against all that GRNZ stands for, their mission statement and constitution.  The board has enough trainers "onboard" to fix this in a flash.  I know what Chief is saying about putting your complaints and ideas in writing to GRNZ but, I agree with you that they well and truly know who you are, what you have written on here, and how to get in touch with you.  To me your criticism is constructive and just.

Please keep us in the loop.  If the situation changes for the better in New Zealand Greyhound Racing you should be personally congratulated.  When you know you are right however are shot down by others who only have half the facts but, you stick to your guns I can only commend you.

Edited by Special Agent
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

I would just like to say Yankiwi that I don't know who you are but, it seems you are a former licence holder who is pissed off at what has and is happening in greyhound racing.  You obviously still care for the good of the industry or you wouldn't bother posting on here or putting together statistics you have personally gathered in which I can only assume has taken you much time.

I'm a bit of a reader, researcher and always waving the flag for what is right.  The fact that GRNZ has reneged on their promises of almost a decade ago goes against all that GRNZ stands for, their mission statement and constitution.  The board has enough trainers "onboard" to fix this in a flash.  I know what Chief is saying about putting your complaints and ideas in writing to GRNZ but, I agree with you that they well and truly know who you are, what you have written on here, and how to get in touch with you.  To me your criticism is constructive and just.

Please keep us in the loop.  If the situation changes for the better in New Zealand Greyhound Racing you should be personally congratulated.  When you know you are right however are shot down by others who only have half the facts but, you stick to your guns I can only commend you.

Thank you for the kind words. You are right on target about me.

As a whole GRNZ doesn't like me & they became very dismissive when I contact them in an official manner. My words were falling on empty ears. You can't help anyone that doesn't want to be helped. I gave up using that official route for change a few years ago.

7 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

It only took me watching a couple of replays to narrow in on it. Silver collar Sunday, with the drone footage, sealed my belief.

This is from the silver collar race two days ago & the tell-all image of what 95% of Auckland's rail contact problem is.

What's wrong with this picture AGRC, GRNZ, RIB?

Any of you?

You're the professionals, you should and are paid to know. If you don't, consider resigning from you position for the benefit of the greyhound industry.

A couple of phone calls can fix it.

Will someone please make those phone calls before a dog gets killed on this track?

1-Original.thumb.jpg.8fb0f1fff2d28602384d54b1de1e65f5.jpg

Ok ok, I know it's tricky.

I edited this next one to make it a bit clearer.

3-ContainerMoved.thumb.jpg.292824ad2a548b3320504dbf844e6cac.jpg

Maybe the RIB can show this to their Steward so they will start declaring a no race when it happens, which should have happened in most if not all of the last 194 races on the track.

Thank me later.

Since we now know that the uprights holding the rail up are 3m apart, how far is the lure ahead of the leading dog in race 7 on Sunday?

image003.jpg.cfe6a969542cf50fe22e8fd4cf116e33.jpg

What about race 12 on 8 June, the race where Big Time Faye at the back of the pack & free of interference, was introduced to your lure rail?

image002.jpg.1a4243a6cbef983c1c4a74dafc860898.jpg

38 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Since we now know that the uprights holding the rail up are 3m apart, how far is the lure ahead of the leading dog in race 7 on Sunday?

image003.jpg.cfe6a969542cf50fe22e8fd4cf116e33.jpg

What about race 12 on 8 June, the race where Big Time Faye at the back of the pack & free of interference, was introduced to your lure rail?

image002.jpg.1a4243a6cbef983c1c4a74dafc860898.jpg

You seeing shadows now?

The rule used to be between 4m & 8m in front of the leading dog.

When PNGRC & GRNZ decided to reinstate the PN 375m distance on the sneak, they change the rule to between 4m & 10m, so they could allegedly make what was a dangerous starting position safe.

Their lack of foresight in making that change for PN has made the two turn tracks a more dangerous place to be running around.

The 12m to 15m distance in front of the leading dog that has been going on in Auckland for at least the last couple of months (I haven't gone back any further as of yet) is nearly TWICE the distance of what the maximum distance of 8m used to be.

As Elon has recently said, let that sink in.

image.jpeg.4f2154f49cea1706cb8b6f9b045f83e7.jpeg

Once everyone at the AGRC, GRNZ, RIB are done overloading the GRNZ server this morning, trawling all the AGRC replays, can one or more of you make the phone calls, please?

Oh, and can you please take the 40' container off the track and put it back where it belongs, which I had put there to make my point blatantly clear.

Edited by Yankiwi

Taken from NZGR Rules as per 6 April 2022.

Rule 51.1

in a nutshell,Lure controlled at a distance not less than 5 metres/and no greater than 10 metres ahead of the leading Greyhound.

However,Stewards may permit a variance to such distance if they are satisfied that as a consequence of such variance,No Greyhound has been substantially inconvenienced in running to affect outcome of Race.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

Do they still fine the Lure Driver when they err?

Apparently not, as the Stewards reports make no mention of it, nor the RIB website.

The lure driver/drivers? have been very consistent keeping the lure 10m to 15m ahead of the dogs. That's where the phone calls I've been asking for should come in.

Instruct them to keep the lure 2 uprights ahead of the leading dog and do not allow it to get further ahead than 3 uprights.

Get this accomplished & watch the stats crash back down, more in line with the other tracks.

26 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Taken from NZGR Rules as per 6 April 2022.

Rule 51.1

in a nutshell,Lure controlled at a distance not less than 5 metres/and no greater than 10 metres ahead of the leading Greyhound.

However,Stewards may permit a variance to such distance if they are satisfied that as a consequence of such variance,No Greyhound has been substantially inconvenienced in running to affect outcome of Race.

Thanks for that TW.

So, the Stewards are satisfied that the consequence of greyhound hitting the rail 3 to 4 times more often in Auckland than any other track isn't substantially inconveniencing the outcome of the race, whether one hits the rail or not in any given race.

I believe the RIB hold the most blame for this. It's their meeting to run, and the way Auckland is being allowed to run, they've been doing a terrible job at it.

The RIB believes it's ok for every race in Auckland to be run outside the clear limitations of the GRNZ rules? Then why is there a rule at all? Why not just make things up on the fly?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Instruct them to keep the lure 2 uprights ahead of the leading dog and do not allow it to get further ahead than 3 uprights.

That assumes standard distances between the uprights!!!

Have you checked if the dogs hitting the fence at Auckland were pushed by other dogs or if they are repeat offenders?

27 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

That assumes standard distances between the uprights!!!

Have you checked if the dogs hitting the fence at Auckland were pushed by other dogs or if they are repeat offenders?

No assumption.

The 40' container (12.192m) is roughly the distance of 4 uprights. I understand that being slightly further away from the camera lens than the rail would make it appear slightly smaller than it actually is in comparison, but I'm sure you'd already know that as well. You're a smart cookie too.

I worked the magic in the edited image to reassure the on the ground information I had was correct & provide everyone with some proof, something it seems I have to provide for every claim I make on here.

Maybe one day Chief you'll believe what I have to say and not feel need to challenge me on every sentence. Would a position within GRNZ headquarters suit you? You got what that aspect of a position dealing with me would take.

As for your question, I have not. If a dog near the rail gets pinched down by one to its outside, then it's roughly the same distance from the lure, which sucks both of them in closer to the rail when the lure is in the corner. The further from the lure, the more of a vacuum affect. If you want to know, you go spend the hours & check for yourself. I'm not going to waste the time just to have you flog it off & try to send me down another rabbit hole. Besides, you aren't going to fix the problem I've brought forward, are you?

2 hours ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

I get that these are GRNZ's words, not yours.

My main gripe/goal has little to do with the rule book.

My real goal is to have far fewer dogs risk their life by making contact with the steel running rail in Auckland.

Welfare has been said to be paramount for many years now. I've addressed a serious issue where welfare is apparently not being treated as paramount. The industry is lucky that this problem didn't cause an injury or claim a dog's life on the greyhound's biggest day of the year, while the protestors were at the track pushing their agenda. Image what would have happened if Sunday was the unluck day that what will eventually happen if this is ignored.

Why is it so difficult to come together & get them to live up to their words. There's a problem there, I've brought what I believe is the biggest issue to the forefront. GRNZ - fix this pleze!

Note, I intentionally misspelled the final word in the last sentence so those that feel the need to challenge me have something I'd much rather debate than the welfare of the dogs.

Edited by Yankiwi

3 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

The 40' container (12.192m) is roughly the distance of 4 uprights.

Was the container on the track or did you photo shop it in?  If the latter then you would have to make sure that the pixel dimensions were the same for both pictures and you would have to compensate for the distance from the camera (adjusted as well for magnification) to the area you were measuring and then triangulate from fixed points.  What's the average length of a dog?

Actually it may be easier for you to get out of your bunker and go down to the track with a tape measure.

I'm just pointing out that your analysis is flawed and that data is inaccurate and missing.  

Suppose I should come clean.

My name is Yankiwi & I am an advisor to the RIB, GRNZ, AGRC (and probably GPL & SAFE as well), completely via BOAY.

About these recent allegations revolving around the Manukau track safety with its running rail, my advice is ~

• For the RIB - The alleged problems happening at the track are out of our control. If pressed on the issue, hide behind the escape clause, which was intended for the rare instance that the lure was outside the rules maximum distance in the GRNZ rule book by using your "discretion". Never declare a no race as it will zero the revenue captured from gambling on the race. Under no circumstances make reference in the Stewards Report of the lure being too far away. Only ever acknowledge in the report when the distance has become too short, as both the lure and dogs will both be visible in the same screen shot when televised.
  • For GRNZ - Individual track matters are not the primary concern of yours. They are an operational issue which must be dealt with on the club level. Your focus is completely on governing, not operating. You've made the rules & it's up to the RIB & clubs to see that they are adhered.
  • For AGRC - You have a track manager from the top of the class. He has many years of experience in the day-to-day operations of a greyhound track & club and knows completely what it takes to keep the animals safe and what makes a track safe, without listening to or considering any outside influences.
  • For GPL & SAFE (if they make it on here) - Do nothing. The industry is imploding from within so any noise you make will only distract from the public watching the industry committing suicide.

I'm so glad I finally got that off my chest.

• Champ Post 1

28 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Was the container on the track or did you photo shop it in?  If the latter then you would have to make sure that the pixel dimensions were the same for both pictures and you would have to compensate for the distance from the camera (adjusted as well for magnification) to the area you were measuring and then triangulate from fixed points.  What's the average length of a dog?

Actually it may be easier for you to get out of your bunker and go down to the track with a tape measure.

I'm just pointing out that your analysis is flawed and that data is inaccurate and missing.  

Isn't your answer obvious the image?

I used the magnetic lasso to cut AGRC container out of the same image & then moved it on to the track just behind the lure.

The unedited screen shot.

1-Original.thumb.jpg.368dfb4dcbd83ea532facad58a14a6be.jpg

The same image after the cut & paste.

3-ContainerMoved.thumb.jpg.f3a6ac94ecf461ca46c34358eb0ec131.jpg

Now where's my flaws?

5 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Get this accomplished & watch the stats crash back down, more in line with the other tracks.

Addington - Five time less likely for a greyhound to hit the rail than it is in Auckland. They sure seem to be able to keep the lead dog on the bunny.

How close is that? I don't know exactly but would guess somewhere between 6m and 9m (both within the rule standards), but obviously far less that the 12m to 15m I continually see at Auckland.

I wonder what CGRC knows that ARGC doesn't.

Maybe the ability to read the rule book and follow the governing standards?

Maybe having Stewards with more experience or a closer attention to detail and better control of the race meeting?

I know I'm being hard on AGRC, GRNZ & RIB, but I believe it is warranted.

Something up there is very wrong. I believe I've addressed the biggest problem here on BOAY. Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't really matter. Just sort it out. Dog's lives and the industry as a whole are at stake.

image.thumb.png.0343d1f63550b7a4066a2a521dff5f1a.png

These two were in the "slow" catagory.

image.png.fbdb4ebff8b1c8579d0c431dd4a7af88.png

Look Yankiwi, I do not know what more you can put forward to convince that what is happening at Auckland and the apparent non-action of greyhound authorities is wrong!!  (Maybe there is a master plan being generated behind closed doors as we speak).

I don't know who was appointed as racing and infrastructure manager but, the buck must now stop with them surely.  That person must be accountable and I look forward to their impending report and solution soon.

Quite obviously you have rubbed officialdom up the wrong way.  I think the GRNZ Board members need to put personality issues aside and attack greyhound problems head on.  If a solution comes from an unpopular quarter the Board must "man up" and take information (and any resulting advice) from wherever and whomever is necessary for the good of the industry.

I have heard many times over, generally from people from other fields, that racing is a twilight industry.  I hate that phrase.  Who would want to be on any of these racing boards if the industry they have been entrusted to govern actually ceases to exist?  Come on, earn your place on the GRNZ board and do something about the problems greyhound racing face.  The one aspect I cannot fathom is that there are enough trainers on the board who know what is wrong and have the power to correct.  Your names are clearly listed and you are accountable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

Look Yankiwi, I do not know what more you can put forward to convince that what is happening at Auckland and the apparent non-action of greyhound authorities is wrong!!  (Maybe there is a master plan being generated behind closed doors as we speak)

Fair point.

If the doors are not closed after all this and a master plan isn't being generated, that will make it abundantly clear what the future of greyhounds racing holds.

If they won't listen to someone fighting for the good of the industry, they won't listen to anyone.

As a side note, I originally had stated that there were three things I believed were contributing to the problem. On BOAY, thus far, I've addressed only one of them.

I had also put out an offer for the powers to contact me directly, if they wanted my evidence/input/suggestions about those three. No-one as of yet has made direct contact which I'm not at all surprised by. I suppose they prefer me shaming them publicly on here for their inaction or are relying on BOAY to hear my opinion or receive my in-depth evidence.

I'm now removing that offer from the table. Figure it out yourselves boys & girls. You've done such a great job so far, I'm sure you'll have them all sorted out for this afternoon anyways.

• Champ Post 2

Yay! - They did something.

Race #1 - Suddenly back within the GRNZ distance guidelines. How hard was that?

image.thumb.png.b12ba5f2b9578ec6be1e4953f6874730.png

Poor footage to judge from, however I estimate 9 to 10m in the back stretch prior to entering the corner. 

image001.jpg.69fccc415266e0d540d72267607fd6e7.jpg

Regardless, the lure is much closer to the dogs in the first race today than it has been in any race in the prior two months.

Looking forward to reading a far cleaner stewards report later.

Like you say, how hard was that?

I'd like to thank you Yankiwi for persisting despite dodging everything being hurled at you.

I'd also like to thank Chief Stipe for giving the vehicle to get the point across.  I know you were advocating formal channels but sometimes being hauled over the coals in public gets a quicker response.

Listening with an open mind and applying some common sense can work wonders.

• Like 1

From today's race #5.

As you can see the #1 on the rail is further back in the pack in the image, or about 4 uprights back (12m) from where the lure is & still it has a direct line of vision to the lure.

If you freeze these dogs in the same position yet were to move the lure 2 more uprights (6m) ahead of the pack like where it was being run at, the #1 only has a direct line of vision over the running rail.

Consider that my hint to what I believe is the second problem. The fix is again very cheap & easy.

Can the boys & girls in power work it out or will they break the bank to do it?

image.thumb.png.8caa7a6bef818744f8ea47f74d6a24d0.png