NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

I am so happy that Daylight Saving is about to start

Dark Beau

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Yeah....bloody great....not.

Also, the long wait until things cool down enough ( in high summer) to check horses' waters and put on a different rug if necessary...on a lighter note, what about the woman who complained the extra daylight would fade her curtains?

yeah - the extra hour of sunlight plays havoc with our horses white nose ?

3 hours ago, Freda said:

Yeah....bloody great....not.

Also, the long wait until things cool down enough ( in high summer) to check horses' waters and put on a different rug if necessary...on a lighter note, what about the woman who complained the extra daylight would fade her curtains?

She was blonde ..of course.

5 hours ago, curious said:

....and we'll get to work 3 or 4 more horses each morning in the pitch dark.

Curious I realise you probably have a secondary income otherwise how can you train and race horses and need to get up early....but....

I've never understood why trainers always train their horses in the early hours of the morning when the don't race before midday.  In my younger days when a trained athlete I always tried to train in the conditions I was going to race in.  Part of the conditioning programme.

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Curious I realise you probably have a secondary income otherwise how can you train and race horses and need to get up early....but....

I've never understood why trainers always train their horses in the early hours of the morning when the don't race before midday.  In my younger days when a trained athlete I always tried to train in the conditions I was going to race in.  Part of the conditioning programme.

Might be a few reasons. Because I have a day job so I can afford the slow horses, I have to have them worked fed and watered either before 7.30 or after 6 p.m. Also a small problem that most tracks close mid morning so they can get the various maintenance tasks done and it's also pitch black on the beach early with daylight saving. Might also be a conditioning benefit in summer to work them before it gets too hot from a hydration standpoint.

29 minutes ago, curious said:

Might be a few reasons. Because I have a day job so I can afford the slow horses, I have to have them worked fed and watered either before 7.30 or after 6 p.m. Also a small problem that most tracks close mid morning so they can get the various maintenance tasks done and it's also pitch black on the beach early with daylight saving. Might also be a conditioning benefit in summer to work them before it gets too hot from a hydration standpoint.

Don't they have lights on tractors?

I would have thought going through a process of training later in the morning and monitoring hydration was good conditioning.  Certainly I'd be doing that with a horse I intended to race in OZ.

But then as you say what's the point with slow horses.