• Journalists
    • 0 replies
      • Journalists
    • 0 replies
      • Journalists
    • 0 replies
      • Journalists
    • 0 replies

• Adelaide-based apprentice Monika Wolanin, who spent time in the NT working on her craft by doing trackwork and featuring in trials, makes her Alice Springs debut on Sunday. She spent plenty of time fronting for trackwork and trials in Darwin and Alice Springs in the past, and now Adelaide-based apprentice Monika Wolanin is set to have her first official ride in the NT. The 32-year-old, who kick-started her professional career in July, has four rides on the dirt at Alice Springs on Sunday. Wolanin, aligned with Darryl Carrison’s Morphettville and Port Lincoln stables, will partner Paul Gardner’s Nasty Streak – an early $3.50 quote with horse racing bookmakers – Tortellini ($26) and She’s Tuff Enuff ($51), as well as Greg Connor’s Luskin Hero ($15). Nasty Streak, who lines up in the opening race over 1200m, is perhaps Wolanin’s best hope, with the four-year-old gelding finishing third over 1200m and a narrow second over 1400m during September. “I’m originally from Adelaide, but I used to live and work up there (NT) a few years ago – it would have been around 2015 and 2016,” she said. “That’s where I really started out getting all my experience. “I’m really excited to be heading back to the Red Centre and getting a crack at riding on the track. “When I was in Darwin, I mostly rode for Chris Pollard. “Down in Alice Springs, I rode mainly for Mark Nyhan and Greg Connor. “I’ve been in contact with quite a few trainers up there and my plan was always to head back to the NT when I got my ticket to ride. “I’ve been riding for a few months now and I just thought it would be great if I could get up there. “I’ve got a good set of rides on Sunday. “Hopefully, I can bring home a winner and hopefully I can keep going back.” Wolanin has been in the racing industry for 11 years, and despite overcoming a few hurdles, she made her debut at Mount Gambier on July 10. She had one ride at Gawler the following week before celebrating her first win aboard Carrison’s Kaido ($10) in her one and only engagement at Murray Bridge on July 24. “I have had a bit of bad luck,” Wolanin, who will claim 4kg at Pioneer Park this weekend, said. “I broke my back a few years ago when I was meant to start my apprenticeship here in South Australia. “That sent me back a couple of years, along with Covid and a few surgeries.” After 37 rides, Wolanin now has three wins and eight minor placings. She saluted aboard Vegas Destiny ($9) for Strathalbyn trainer Trevor Day at Roxby Downs on August 3 before once again getting Kaido ($5.50) home at Port Lincoln last Sunday. Naturally, Wolanin hopes to pick up as many rides as possible and thus make an early impression, and travelling is no issue. “I love what I do, I also spent quite a few years travelling around all the different states riding trackwork at a variety of tracks,” she said. “Port Lincoln is a big trip from Adelaide, but I enjoy it when we load up the horses before hitting the road.” Horse racing news View the full article
    • That's always been my philosophy for BOAY. I've always said that most antagonists online would probably agree on most things over a good session at the local.
    • Which Scoobs and Leo used to do all the time - me included. Still can't believe a website owner would edit posts and write new posts under one of their users' names. Quite abhorrent. 
    • After saddling the winners of top-level races around the globe as an assistant, trainer Joseph Lee finally seized his moment in the limelight when May Day Ready pulled off a gutsy victory in the Oct. 4 Jessamine Stakes (G2T) at Keeneland.View the full article
    • Yes and the only way he can do that is by editing someone else's initial post.
  • Topics