• 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• Willis Horton Racing's Tapit Jenallie will be scratched from the May 3 Kentucky Oaks (G1), trainer Eddie Milligan Jr. announced May 2. Courtlandt Farms' Our Pretty Woman draws in off the also-eligible list.View the full article
    • For the third consecutive year Japan-based horses will participate in the Kentucky Derby (G1). As talented runners continue to arrive, each Derby year the same words can be heard on the Churchill backstretch: "Japan is going to win one eventually."View the full article
    • Eighty-three lots have been catalogued for the next Tattersalls Online sale, which takes place on May 8-9 and includes the four-year-old Sierra Blanca (Ire) (No Nay Never) (lot 48), who filled the runner-up spot in the G3 Killavullan S. at Leopardstown when trained by Aidan O'Brien at two. Consigned by Manton Park Racing Ltd, Sierra Blanca is out of the dual Classic winner Alexandrova (Ire) (Sadler's Wells), who has produced four other winners including the G2 Dahlia S. heroine Somehow (Ire) (Fastnet Rock {Aus}). The three-year-old Completed (GB) (Night Of Thunder {Ire}) (lot 16) is another to note having shown a good level of ability in six starts for Karl Burke, including when opening her account with a wide-margin victory at Lingfield in December. Consigned by Baroda Stud–who sold Julia Augusta (GB) (Ulysses {Ire}) when she topped the Tattersalls Online April Sale at 72,000gns–Completed is out of a half-sister to the G3 Prix de Lieurey winner Zibelina (Ire) (Dansili {GB}). Eight broodmares are set to go under the virtual hammer, including the G2 Lowther S. third Mamba Noire (Fr) (Wootton Bassett {GB}) (lot 76), consigned by Powerstown Stud, while the two stores on offer include a three-year-old filly (lot 75) offered by Park Wood Stud with a proper jumping pedigree, being by Doyen (Ire) and out of the Grade 1-winning hurdler United (Ger) (Desert King {Ire}). Five yearlings will also be offered for sale when bidding opens at noon on Wednesday, May 8. The full catalogue can be viewed here. The post Sierra Blanca Stars In Catalogue For Tattersalls Online May Sale appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • This week's morning action at Churchill Downs only served to entice onlookers by the sheer breadth and quality of contenders set to line up for the 150th renewal of the GI Kentucky Oaks and its undercard Friday. A stacked field of 14 is set for the Oaks, led by the 7-2 morning line choice Tarifa (Bernardini), who drew post 8 but moves in to the seven slot following Thursday's scratch of Tapit Jenallie (Tapit). Flavien Prat has the mount on the GII Rachel Alexandra S. and GII Fair Grounds Oaks winner. The homebred filly is trained by Brad Cox, who also saddles Busanda S. scorer Gin Gin (Hightail), runner-up over the track in last year's Rags to Riches S., for historic Calumet Farm. “She is doing great,” said Cox of the favorite. “She had a big work last weekend. It was very sharp. So, I feel like she's had a very good week in regard to how she has settled in her gallops. I am happy with the way she is moving and happy with the way she's schooled.” Asked about the post position, Cox said, “I'm happy with it. Flavien knows her. He rode her the last two starts. He's worked her a couple of times and has a good feel for her. Hopefully he can get away clean and not get into a tussle with her and get a smooth run into the first turn and get into a good rhythm.” Of her stablemate, he added, “She will have to take a pretty big step forward. She is very consistent, and she always tries. She broke her maiden here last year, so she knows this track. She is going to have to try hard, so we'll see how that goes.” The second choice on the morning line at 4-1, Whisper Hill Farm's Leslie's Rose (Into Mischief). A $1.15 million Keeneland September purchase, the winner of the Apr. 5 GI Ashland S. will be reunited with Irad Ortiz Jr., who has been aboard all four of her lifetime starts. Trainer Todd Pletcher is represented by the morning line favorite for Saturday's Kentucky Derby, Fierceness (City of Light). Finishing three-lengths behind Leslie's Rose in the Ashland, last year's champion juvenile filly Just F Y I (Justify) is poised for a rematch, breaking immediately to Leslie's Rose's inside. The winner of the GI Frizette S. and GI Breeders' Cup Juvenile Filles drew post 13, but shifts in a slot. A homebred for George Krikorian, the filly will be ridden by her regular partner, Junior Alvarado. Trained by Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott, who also saddles Resilience in the Run For the Roses, was installed the 9-2 third choice on the morning line. A pair of fillies were weighted at 5-1 on the morning line-GII Fantasy S. scorer Thorpedo Anna (Fast Anna) and Ways and Means (Practical Joke). The former is campaigned by Brookdale Racing, Mark Edwards, Judy Hicks and Magdalena Racing and trained by Ken McPeek. The latter, a Grade I-placed filly conditioned by Chad Brown, is a homebred for Klaravich Stables. Thorpedo Anna will be ridden by Brian Hernandez Jr. while the latter will be accompanied by Tyler Gaffalione. The remaining horses (with morning line odds) are: Where's the Ring (Jose Lezcano, 15-1); Regulatory Risk (Jose Ortiz, 20-1); Lemon Muffin (Keith Asmussen, 30-1); Fiona's Magic (Luis Saez, 30-1); Everland (Abel Cedillo, 30-1); Into Champagne (Julien Leparoux, 30-1); Power Squeeze (Daniel Centano, 12-1); Our Pretty Woman (Joel Rosario, 15-1).   Champions Idiomatic, Pretty Mischievous Face Off in La Troienne Defending champions Idiomatic (Curlin) and Pretty Mischievous (Into Mischief) are poised to square off on the Kentucky Oaks undercard in the GI La Troienne S. Juddmonte's Idiomatic, who was close to flawless with eight wins from nine starts in 2023, ended her championship season with a victory in the GI Breeders' Cup Distaff, earning her the Eclipse Award as the champion older mare of 2023. Riding a five-race winning streak, including three Grade Is for trainer Brad Cox, drew post 4. She will be accompanied by her regular pilot Florent Geroux. “She is every bit as good this year as she was last year in the mornings,” Cox told TDN. “If she shows up in the afternoon like she's been doing in the mornings, we should be in good shape.” Of her progress in her time off, she added, “I think she's bigger and stronger and every bit as good as she was [last year]. We schooled her a couple of times this week, and she did that very well. She is so big and so massive. I really believe she's ready.” Godolphin's Pretty Mischievous won a trio of Grade Is in 2023–the Kentucky Oaks, Acorn S. and Test S., thus earning her the title of champion 3-year-old. Pretty Mischievous capped off 2023 with a runner-up finish behind Ceiling Crusher in the GI Cotillion S. in September. The daughter of GISW Pretty City Dancer (Tapit), who is three for four at Churchill Downs, will be ridden by Tyler Gaffalione from post 5. The remaining field for the La Troienne, with riders from the inside, is: Frosty O Toole (Frosted) (David Cohen), Taxed (Collected) (Cristian Torres), Free Like a Girl (El Deal) (Corey Lanerie), Xigera (Nyquist) (Julien Leparoux) and Dorth Vader (Girvin) (Irad Ortiz Jr.). Another Breeders' Cup winner marking her return to the races at Churchill Friday, GI Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf heroine Hard to Justify (Justify) heads a field of 14 in the GII Edgewood S. Trained by Chad Brown, Hard to Justify won all three of her 2023 starts that also included a victory in the GII Miss Grillo S. Breaking from post 9, the Wise Racing-campaigned filly will be partnered by Flavien Prat, who has been aboard in all three starts. She will face Rigney Racing's Buchu (Justify), who finished sixth behind Hard to Justify in the Breeders' Cup. Trained by Phil Bauer, Buchu, last season's GII Jessamine winner, took her 2024 debut in Keeneland's Appalachian S. Apr. 6. Martin Garcia has the mount from post 4. Whisper Hill Farm and Gainesway Stable's Tapit Trice (Tapit) kicks off the season in Friday's GII Alysheba S. Victorious in the GIII Tampa Derby and GI Blue Grass S., the $1.3 million Keeneland September yearling purchase finished seventh at Churchill in the Kentucky Derby before coming home third in the GI Belmont S. Fifth in Monmouth's GI Haskell, the grey concluded the season with a third in the GI Travers S. Red, White and Blue Racing's Denim and Pearls (Into Mischief) returns to Churchill Downs for the GII Eight Belles S. Trained by Brad Cox, she comes into the seven-furlong test off a runaway 9 1/4-length win at Keeneland in the GII Beaumont S. Apr. 7. Exiting post 7, she will be reunited with Flavien Prat. Also included in Friday's graded action is the GIII Unbridled Sidney S. and the GIII Modesty S. The post Tarifa, Leslie’s Rose, Just F Y I Headline Loaded Oaks Day Card appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
    • LOUISVILLE, KY–Kicking off a steamy day in Louisville, Thursday's morning session began to distill several things that I had seen over the course of the past week at Churchill Downs. Each morning, I would line up trackside to watch the Kentucky Derby/Oaks work session, also giving me the opportunity to survey the overall landscape at Churchill Downs. The years of progress and development at the facility is staggering. As I pan across the property, the mass of seating, both existing and new, that will accommodate the throngs of people over the course of the next two days starts to really stand out. Churchill is certainly not want for seating. Also, I thought back to the very first time I came to Churchill for the Derby in 1991 (the year Strike the Gold won) and I can remember gazing up at the Twin Spires and thinking how majestic they seemed. Now, they don't appear quite so imposing to me given the rise of all the newer infrastructure surrounding them. So, while I was contemplating all the changes that have happened at Churchill over the last three decades, I happened to bump into one of my favorite people on the backside, trainer Wayne Catalano. After a few pleasantries, as if taking a peek into my mind, he points over in the direction of Churchill's main structure and says, 'This is the 50th anniversary of my first win in front of those Twinspires. I won my very first race as a jockey for Jack Van Berg May 20, 1974.' It not only gave me pause, but I continued to think about that long after we had parted ways. Because while I was considering the multitude of changes I was seeing, it became increasingly clear that the history and tradition of the place wasn't kept alive by the structure itself but more by the men and women that frequent the track and that have made Churchill Downs their base and their home. Sometimes, we need to have progress to really appreciate how we got to where we are.   Morning Action The Derby and Oaks horses made their usual appearance following the 7:00 a.m harrowing break, and it offered me a final opportunity to take a look at many of the horses that would be competing in the plethora of stakes action over the next two days. A horse that I had been observing over the last few days, and while not jumping out at me initially, has been giving me increasingly good vibes was the Albaugh Family's Catching Freedom (Constitution). Giving an air of simmering confidence on the track each day I have seen him, I was given a little extra nudge in that direction after speaking to trainer Brad Cox later in the morning. The winner of the GII Louisiana Derby Mar. 23, the bay was a respectable third to Sierra Leone–beaten 1 3/4 lengths–in a wet renewal of the GII Risen Star in February. His rider Flavien Prat has been absolutely en fuego of late (or maybe 'en feu' is more appropriate in this case). In any case, a very interesting option at a price. Catalytic getting some love from his rider | CBossinakis Having a final look at the Oaks fillies I could feel my excitement mounting. Just F Y I (Justify) was accompanied to the track by her Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott and continued to fill the eye. She is an absolute queen. In truth, Mott's GII Wood Memorial winner Resilience (Into Mischief) looked ready to roll too. I keep thinking it would be nice to see him get a Derby win, outright this time, rather than getting put up by DQ like he did in 2021 when Country House inherited the win. Nobody deserves it more. Some news broke later Thursday morning when it was announced that Kentucky Oaks contender Tapit Jenallie (Tapit) would scratch, giving Courtlandt Farms Our Pretty Woman (Medaglia d'Oro) a berth in the lineup. A $900,000 Keeneland September yearling purchase, she finished on 3/4-of a length back of Tarifa (Bernardini)–one of the Oaks favorites–in the Mar. 23 GI Fair Grounds Oaks. Her trainer Steve Asmussen, who most recently won the Oaks with Untapable in 2014, also took the race in 2005 with Summerly. The Hall of Famer seems to be sitting on about a 10-year cycle and is due again this year.   The post Classic Stage is Set at Churchill Downs appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article
  • Topics