NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton a joke

barryb

Someone needs to bring a criminal proceeding perhaps under the Health and Safety Act against the club, NZTR and the RIU. Aside from sliding the game further into the mire, the idea that animal wellbeing and rider health and safety were blatantly put at risk when there was no necessity is criminal. The track should also be closed until fully relaid, tested and proved safe for racing.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks back I told you lot I reckoned they didn't know what they were doing. And you all rubbished me.  Told you they had grass clippings all over it.

On Thursday I wasted an entire day travelling to Oamaru  (five hours each way) to listen to Bernard Saundry talking a good deal of piffle (admittedly some sense interspersed) about how good the Messara report was. I knew it would be waste of time but nevertheless for the sake of the club I travelled.  Too many people there including a fair CJC delegation which meant I could not attack anywhere near enough for fear of hogging the microphone.  Anyway the point is at the end Tim Mills says he cannot understand why these small clubs don't want to give up their assets for the benefit of NZ racing. Well Timothy this is just an example.

I might add Murray Acklin and David Lloyd, both of whom I have had arguments with in the past, were both full of sense at the meeting.  Needles to say Bernard wasn't interested.

Another one of the 'keep'  tracks turning into a joke.  O'Malley is over there (no doubt pissed off) so grab him for some proper advice on how to present a track boys.

Don't be bloody silly...that means 'accountability'.

As far as Riccarton goes,  Chief has been commenting for ages about stuffed soil structures,  and here is no different.

Not grass clippings,  just a packed,  compacted soil and a bit of rain/irrigation to make the top slippery.

We usually get away with it because Riccarton is a big,  sweeping circuit with soft corners -  not because of superior management - but the rail was out today which does alter the contours.

Strathayr,  yep,  no brainer I should think..but could this track team do the appropriate caretaking of the thing?

I notice the M report indicated Riccarton needed complete reconstruction....but the advice to close Timaru/Oamaru came from pretty close to home I think.

Now watch Ricc get transferred to Mon/Tues or Wed and completely stuff Timaru's Friday meeting.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Reefton said:

A couple of weeks back I told you lot I reckoned they didn't know what they were doing. And you all rubbished me.  Told you they had grass clippings all over it.

On Thursday I wasted an entire day travelling to Oamaru  (five hours each way) to listen to Bernard Saundry talking a good deal of piffle (admittedly some sense interspersed) about how good the Messara report was. I knew it would be waste of time but nevertheless for the sake of the club I travelled.  Too many people there including a fair CJC delegation which meant I could not attack anywhere near enough for fear of hogging the microphone.  Anyway the point is at the end Tim Mills says he cannot understand why these small clubs don't want to give up their assets for the benefit of NZ racing. Well Timothy this is just an example.

I might add Murray Acklin and David Lloyd, both of whom I have had arguments with in the past, were both full of sense at the meeting.  Needles to say Bernard wasn't interested.

Another one of the 'keep'  tracks turning into a joke.  O'Malley is over there (no doubt pissed off) so grab him for some proper advice on how to present a track boys.

Didn't read your post before pressing button.. but yes,  agree.  Was going hitch a ride to meeting with Neill Ridley but he didn't have the time in the end,  so I didn't attend.

Interested to hear your observations about the meeting.

I think Timaru [ for one ]  has just been handed a bit of ammunition.

Edited by Freda

And then we get those two halfwits at Hastings congratulating the club on a full house and shutting the gates .  A glimpse of the grandstand and you can't see one frigging person (from the angle the camera was that is)  Not too many 18 - 44 year olds about Winston.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Freda said:

Don't be bloody silly...that means 'accountability'.

As far as Riccarton goes,  Chief has been commenting for ages about stuffed soil structures,  and here is no different.

Not grass clippings,  just a packed,  compacted soil and a bit of rain/irrigation to make the top slippery.

We usually get away with it because Riccarton is a big,  sweeping circuit with soft corners -  not because of superior management - but the rail was out today which does alter the contours.

Strathayr,  yep,  no brainer I should think..but could this track team do the appropriate caretaking of the thing?

I notice the M report indicated Riccarton needed complete reconstruction....but the advice to close Timaru/Oamaru came from pretty close to home I think.

Now watch Ricc get transferred to Mon/Tues or Wed and completely stuff Timaru's Friday meeting.

What is it about NZ Racing, whereby they think they have to reinvent the wheel, because they can do it better, when there are perfectly good solutions that have been in place for many years

3 minutes ago, Reefton said:

And then we get those two halfwits at Hastings congratulating the club on a full house and shutting the gates .  A glimpse of the grandstand and you can't see one frigging person (from the angle the camera was that is)  Not too many 18 - 44 year olds about Winston.

There's shitloads of 18-44 yr olds there today, don't be guilty of making a poor judgement on what you see on TV.

6 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Let's talk about this, I heard them say on Trackside the other day [And I live in Brisbane!] that JBJC were going to offer limited gate sales for today as they were nearing a sell out.....did you hear me laugh from here?......why when the industry is in such malaise do that? why not open the infield [Look at Port Macquarie Cup day here, temp stand built near winning Post, thousand people at least in and around] and put up Marquees, pop up restaurants and cafe's, throw it open for free, promote, market the best racing day out.......Christ almighty, they were going to put up the house full sign........you bunch of losers......you deserve to go tits up you wankers......save our industry, not send it packing.....take it to the Hoi poloi.....not make it elitist.....Jesus I sound like Tommo....but you get the drift?

• Champ Post 3
  • Haha 1

..and yes,  Brian,  you were quite right re. clippings...I didn't walk far enough around this morning.

None where I was.. but apparently plenty around the top.

I am told Walshy walked the track yesterday and told Lisa Allpress not to get too wide out or she'd be sitting on her arse.

5 minutes ago, Freda said:

..and yes,  Brian,  you were quite right re. clippings...I didn't walk far enough around this morning.

None where I was.. but apparently plenty around the top.

I am told Walshy walked the track yesterday and told Lisa Allpress not to get too wide out or she'd be sitting on her arse.

Well if D Walsh reckoned that that tells a story.  Why isn't he being paid to inspect every SI track pre raceday.

I just thought that track looked bloody odd two weeks ago.  Extremely lush and as if it had got away on them.  And the throwback had to be grass clippings.  They say you are not supposed to put urea on them but I would have said it(looked like) it had been plastered with it

So..to harp on about this b/s...which gives me the shits...if Walshy could identify a problem,  what about the stipe  - sorry RIU member - who walked the track and approved it?  Is he blind?

Will he be reprimanded?  Will the track manager who authorised the mowing/watering be spoken to firmly?   Will the CJC fraternity who want other tracks to close and their clubs to race at Riccarton feel, ever so slightly,  embarassed?

The recommendation in the M report was that many of the 'keep' tracks be reconstructed.  Has anyone from NZTR bothered to discuss with the 'close' tracks any likely time frames and perhaps reassure them that they will most definitely be needed while this reconstruction goes on?  

Oh - hang on,  that's right,  they all have to be cashed up to get the funds to do the reconstruction.

FFS.

• Like 1