Bit Of A Yarn

$2,000,000 race .... $1,000,000 to the winner

Gammalite

It's nearly here . Eureka . the first of it's kind. 

Probably Not of much interest to you guys as New Zealanders have been excluded . (should try that at Rugby World Cup 😉? )

Marky Boy will be spitting chips as his 4 year old AKUTA would of donkey licked this lot .🙄

My QLD mate Grant sent a text today and has arrived down there safely and settled in well with the Queenslander LEAP TO FAME . Can he Win it from that outside alley though ? 🤔 bit tough out there. 

We have 5 x Captain Treacherous horses running , 3 x Bettor's Delights, , a Sweet Lou from Tassie (yikes) , and a SomeBeachSomewhere running .

That is great representation from the Captain T ? 

THE TAB EUREKA 2400M
$1,970,000 3&4YO. No NR. PBD/AGE/SEX. PACERS. Mobile  TRIFECTA, QUINELLA, EXACTA, 2ND LEG DAILY DOUBLE, 3RD LEG QUADRELLA, FIRST4
  Form Horse Trainer Other Eng. Driver   Class  Hcp  
1 1s211 CAPTAIN HAMMERHEAD  David Moran   David Moran   NR77  FR1  
2 32622 NATURALLY GIFTED (Em 1)  Jack Trainor       NR78  FR-  
3 15941 DON HUGO (Em 1)  Belinda McCarthy   Jack Callaghan (C)   NR74  FR-  
4 s1111 THE LOST STORM  Emma Stewart   Mark Pitt   NR87  FR2  
5 21811 ENCIPHER  Emma Stewart   Luke McCarthy   NR120  FR3  
6 31711 SPEAK THE TRUTH  Shannon Price   Adam Sanderson   NR111  FR4  
7 21111 MAGICIAN  Todd Rattray   Todd Rattray   NR113  FR5  
8 1s524 RIPP  Bernie Hewitt   Doug Hewitt   NR89  FR6  
9 41615 TIMS A TROOPER (Em 1)  Grant Dixon   Robert Morris   NR120  FR-  
10 91783 HEZA SON OF AGUN (Em 1)  Matthew Craven   Matthew Craven   NR103  FR-  
11 s127s CAPTAIN RAVISHING  Ahmed Taiba   Greg Sugars   NR101  FR7  
12 11s21 CATCH A WAVE  Andy Gath   Kate Gath   NR120  FR8  
13 11121 LEAP TO FAME  Grant Dixon   Grant Dixon   NR120  FR9  
14 s3335 MY ULTIMATE RONNIE  Jarrod Alchin   Cameron Hart   NR118  FR10

Is it creating much interest in the media?

How was the million dollars harness racing australia put into the prizemoney and the extra money they have spent promoting the race, gone down with the grass roots level participants in australia?

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Is it creating much interest in the media?

How was the million dollars harness racing australia put into the prizemoney and the extra money they have spent promoting the race, gone down with the grass roots level participants in australia?

trotting never gets anything in the media. we had the world drivers championship recently and it was lucky to even get mention on the harness site 😂.  marbles would get more cover 😂.

Hey , I like the idea though . I think the races should be funded by the participants all the time . Put your money up - Put your horse up - and go for glory !.... be like Arabia Shiehks lol. 

The Everest gallop sprint is great !!! near the best race of the year every year.....with people holding slots and inviting horses to run for them for that day. 

At the trots, If we owned a slot in the EUREKA or the RACE by Grins , or the NULLIBOR (where Nz Plodder Betterzippit went and won 1/2 million earlier this year with Grimson)  you can be an owner in partnership for the day Of the BEST horses in the nation !!  fantastic  .. 

Grass Roots Level ?? you ask . why not do the same . Have slot races for loose class horses with a Big Prize ?...... they'll come , even at Winton or Ruakaka maybe ...if there's money to be made. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Grass Roots Level ?? you ask . why not do the same . Have slot races for loose class horses with a Big Prize ?...... they'll come , even at Winton or Ruakaka maybe ...if there's money to be made. 

Thats an interesting idea.

A region like southland having say 3 or 4 slot races on one particular summers day each worth $35,000 which would mean in effect the actual horse owners would be running for a stake similar to $17,500 after the slot owners have taken half the prizemoney.It would be  12 horse fields.

Sponsors in southland throughout the year could be given first preference in participating on the day by buying a slot for say $1500 and then having the horses drawn 1 hour  pre race. They could have like business sponsors ,e.g. pubs and licensing trusts in one race,building industry in another,farming related industries etc

The club and hrnz could each contribute say $8000 to the races.

They would be best run on a grass track.

I never know why clubs who have grass tracks don't run a mixture of grass and all weather track races on the same day. This could be one of those days.

They could make it into a big sponsors day with rides in the  mobile and tandem sulky races.

The focus would be it being a family day with free pony rides,pony clubs racing up the straight,an undie run up the straight by sports clubs both men and women,trick horse riders invited to show there skills.

It most likely would have to be run on a sunday and given southland weather in summer.

Maybe thats all wishful thinking but it could happen in a place like southland as the community down there would come together for one of those days out.

Just a thought building on your idea.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Sponsors in southland throughout the year could be given first preference in participating on the day by buying a slot

All the sort of stuff you mentioned would work brilliantly I reckon.

10 slots at $6000 each gives a nice $60k pool . $40k for winner maybe , the rest split 2nd and 3rd

make races for horses 0-2 wins, or 3 -4 race winners,  or whatever you fancy really. 

to select field you have to watch for interlopers.  maybe have them trained in that 'province' as eligible entrants ? where the race is held .. or something similar.

or one way they did it here in Brisbane at a country track that ran big races twice a year,   was the horses selected had to of had 2 starts at that track during that current season . That worked well as made it hard for them to come from too far away and knock off the locals in just the Feature , so a few 'handy' horses were seen racing at the track to get their 2 starts in , to be eligible for the Big race heats

resulted in  >>>>>>

you had quite a few weeks of seeing nice horses race instead of just all battlers all the time, and the racing and betting was lifted accordingly ... 

• Like 1

Excellent performance by LEAP TO FAME circling to the parked out position after the early rush in the Eureka at Menangle.  finished 2nd 4 lengths clear of 3rd placed Captain Ravishing.

But the day belonged to Australia's long-time best 2 Trainers Emma Stewart and Luke McCarthy.

ENCIPHER , the only mare in the field , picks up the Million dollars , with a great steer by Luke who knowing the track like the back of his hand , pounced at the right moment and took the BIG prize ahead of Leap To Fame. 

Luke McCarthy because of not having a stable runner in the race , drove for the great Victorian stable of Emma Stewart in an 'Instant Win partnership' , from 2 of the greats of the sport.

(Emma's regular drivers Mark Pitt were on The Lost Storm and Kate Gath had her husbands runner Catch A Wave to drive )    so Lucky days for Luke !!!🏆💰🏆😁

Obviously a very good horse is the winner,but personally i think it would have been better for harness racing if the grant dixon trained leap to fame had won.The reason i say that is the horse performs at the same level every time he lines up,as do nearly all horses trained by dixon who run around on the queensland circuit.

I think hes in the mould of top horses from the past,and people can relate to him better and can see if you get a great horse and train it well, you can still win the big races.

I think with an emma stewart trained runner winning,and winning quite easily the average person involved in harness racing can't relate to that. Encipher obviously a top mare,but if you watched its recent races ,while winning,you couldn't say you could have predicted last nights performance.Its last start it beat a top field in victoria,but only just won after getting the perfect run and it was a blanket finish with about 6 horses within a length.Thats why it paid $30 last night. Sure it was driven by  brilliant driver and the trainers obviously are tops,but it looked primed for the night . The thing about it was how after the race it looked like it wasn't even tired.

so thats my opinion. 

5 hours ago, the galah said:

but it looked primed for the night . The thing about it was how after the race it looked like it wasn't even tired.

Here we go again - what are you inferring?

6 hours ago, the galah said:

I think with an emma stewart trained runner winning,and winning quite easily the average person involved in harness racing can't relate to that.

Can't relate in what way?

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:
7 hours ago, the galah said:

I think with an emma stewart trained runner winning,and winning quite easily the average person involved in harness racing can't relate to that.

Can't relate in what way?

I think that Emma has that many runners and winners , It's hard to keep up ?

Here is the Vic Sires Stakes Final result from December. Last nights winner ENCIPHER a hot favourite but beaten by the New Zealand owned (former Nathan Purdon trained Filly AMORE VITA.

Emma I think 'Trifectaed' both the 2 year old Vic Sires Stakes Finals of colts and Filly's to show off her great team, staff , horses and training ability . The Miracle Mile winner CATCH A WAVE (Gaths) who led up last night in the Eureka won the 3 year old colts to stop the 'Emma' clean sweep . 

What a prize for Encipher last night ! A million dollars !! amazing ......

ALWAYS B MIKI VICBRED SUPER SERIES (3YO FILLIES) FINAL (GROUP 1) 2240M
$130,000 3YO Fillies. RBD. PACERS. Mobile  Final Results
Pl  Horse Prize-
money
  Row &
Br
TAB
#
Trainer Driver
(C = Concession)
Mgn
(m)
Starting
odds

1 AMORE VITA NZ  $ 65,000   Fr3 3 Emma Stewart Chris Alford   $ 5.50   PRS 
  BAY FILLY 3 by ART MAJOR USA out of CASTELLINA LOVER NZ (MCARDLE USA)
Owner(s): S A Dolan, Est of G R Adamson
Breeder(s): S A Dolan, Estate of Grant Ronald Adamson
2 ENCIPHER  $ 20,800   Fr1 1 Emma Stewart Kate Gath HFNK $ 1.20 fav   
3 SOHO HISTORIA  $ 13,000   Sr2 10 Emma Stewart Mark Pitt 3.50 $ 12.00   P
4 PETILLANTE  $ 7,800   Fr6 6 Emma Stewart David Moran 9.20 $ 81.00   3W
5 STAR CELEBRITY  $ 5,200   Fr5 5 Emma Stewart Allan McDonough 9.80 $ 81.00    
6 JO AN JO  $ 2,600   Sr1 9 Emma Stewart James Herbertson 11.50 $ 71.00   5
7 NONPARREIL  $ 2,600   Sr3 11 Jess Tubbs Greg Sugars 11.70 $ 126.00   7
8 TALK TIME  $ 2,600   Sr5 13 Emma Stewart Jodi Quinlan 17.40 $ 71.00   12
9 RELENTLESS ME  $ 2,600   Fr2 2 Sebastian F Steenhuis Anthony Butt 21.90 $ 81.00    
10 BEACH LIFE  $ 2,600   Fr4 4 Emma Stewart Kerryn Manning 26.70 $ 81.00   10
11 LEAVE YOUR HAT ON  $ 2,600   Sr4 12 John Yeomans Rebecca Bartley 28.10 $ 151.00